This Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe is the perfect blend of warm fall spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. This DIY spice mix comes together in 5 minutes with spices you probably already have in your pantry. If you are curious how to make Pumpkin Pie Spice... start here with the perfect blend of seasonings that will go great with any of your fall pumpkin baking.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
This Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe is exactly what you need to kick off the fall pumpkin baking season. Whether you bake a little or a lot, this DIY pumpkin spice is crazy simple to make and uses spices you most likely already have on hand. Plus you only need 5 minutes and 5 ingredients to mix this simple recipe together.
Whether you want to make Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Pancakes, Pumpkin Fudge, or even Pumpkin Granola Bars the possibilities are endless with this classic and easy blend of spices that brings out the flavor you crave in pumpkin. Did you know that it's actually the spice mix that gives pumpkin dishes that classic cozy fall flavor and not the pumpkin itself?
Sure you could Pumpkin Pie Spice at the store BUT if you make it at home it's cheaper, fresher, and has a better flavor. Plus you can use my ratio blend or slightly tweak it to your personal tastes. You can easily scale this recipe down for just a small batch or double or triple it for all your fall and holiday baking needs.Cooking pumpkin everything? Make your own Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice! Click To Tweet
What is Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Wondering what exactly is pumpkin pie spice? Here's the answer!
Sometimes recipes call for a spice mix or blend like Italian Seasoning Mix or Cajun Seasoning Mix. It makes cooking a bit easier and brings a classic and family flavor to dishes without a lot of fuss. Often fall baking recipes with pumpkin call for Pumpkin Pie Spice. It gives dishes that cozy fall flavor where cinnamon and nutmeg shine.
The five common spices in Pumpkin Pie Spice are cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg. Individually they all have unique tastes but together they shine in all their pumpkin spice glory.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon is one of the shining flavors in a good Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix. It's slightly sweet yet warm and is essential to fall baking.
- Ginger: Ground ginger also has a warm and spicy flavor that works well with sweet and savory dishes. It's a key component to Pumpkin Pie Spice because it balances out the other flavors.
- Nutmeg: Ground nutmeg has a perfectly nutty flavor that is perfect for warm holiday baking.
- Allspice: Contrary to popular belief Allspice is not a blend of spices but an actual one ingredient spice. It's the cured, unripe berry of a tropical evergreen found in the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. It has a peppery sweetness and spicy aroma. Some Pumpkin Pie Spice mixes leave it out, but I think it adds a lot of depth of flavor.
- Cloves: Ground cloves are from another tropical evergreen. The flavor is warm and intense. It's essential to bring out the best pumpkin spice flavors.
If you don't already have the spices in your pantry, you can stock up here.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice:
- Get out your spices and check to make sure they are fresh. 🙂
- Measure the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves and put them in a small bowl or small mason jar.
- Mix or whisk together until it is well blended.
- Use immediately or keep in the airtight container until you are ready to use.
Tips & FAQ
- Once you are familiar with this blend of spices you can tweak it a bit to match your personal tastes.
- You can easily double or triple this to make a larger batch.
- I have lots of fun pumpkin recipes to use this Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix below but feel free to keep it simple and use it by stirring it in your morning coffee or smoothie!
How much pumpkin pie spice do I use?
The amount of pumpkin pie spice you use for a recipe will depend on what you are baking. Often times a generous 1-2 teaspoons are used in a recipe to give it lots of cozy flavors. You can use this recipe in a 1:1 substitute for any recipe that calls for pumpkin pie spice.
If a baked good calls for a mix of fall spices like this, you can also substitute this homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice. Click on the 2x or 3x to adjust the numbers in the actual recipe so you don't have to do that math. This batch makes about ¼ cup which is about 4 tablespoons.
If you need a small batch of pumpkin pie spice just quarter this recipe and you will get about 1 tablespoon. Here's the math for the small batch.
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
How do I store this homemade spice?
Store the spice mix in an airtight container in your dark pantry for up to a year.
What can be used instead of pumpkin pie spice?
This recipe which has cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves is the perfect blend of spice to use instead of store-bought pumpkin pie spice.
Is allspice the same as pumpkin pie spice?
NO! Allspice is a single spice with a potent and unique flavor. It's part of the pumpkin spice blend but not all of it and is not a good substitute for pumpkin pie spice.
Recipes that use Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice:
Use this homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice in any of baking recipes, favorite fall recipes or homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte.
Pumpkin Baking Recipes:
- 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Superfood Cookies
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Pumpkin Pie Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
- Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal
- Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Bread
- Simple Pumpkin Pancakes
- Fluffy Pumpkin Cornbread
- Savory Pumpkin Hummus
- Creamy Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- Crock Pot Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Crispy Pumpkin Spice Chickpeas
Other Fun Pumpkin Spice Recipes:
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip
- Healthy Crock Pot Apple Pumpkin Butter
- Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats
- 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Pie Nice Cream
- Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Cooking pumpkin everything? Make your own Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice! Click To Tweet
More Homemade Spice Mix Recipes to Love:
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Find all the spices and check that they are fresh.
- Measure each spice and put it in a small mason jar or mixing bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a dark pantry for up to a year.
Pin for later...