This is the Best Cajun Seasoning Spice Mix! This homemade spice blend recipe is the perfect combination of blackened, spicy, and savory flavors that are sure to bring out the flavors in any Creole, Louisana, or New Orleans-inspired recipe. Perfect for meats, pasta, rice, or any dish that needs some extra zest!
Best Cajun Seasoning
Curious about finding the best Cajun Seasoning? Thanks to the perfect blend of savory and spicy flavors this homemade blend is the perfect Cajun Spice Mix. Sure you could buy storebought BUT I challenge you to mix your own and see how delicious it is.
You'll be surprised at how quickly making spice mixes at home can be! Whether it's my Italian Spice Mix, Mexican Spice Mix, or Everything Bagel Seasoning there are so many fun blends that you can create with what you usually already have on hand in your spice drawer.
My latest blend brings out anything you'd want to make with an extra punch of cajun flavor! This cajun or creole mix features flavors like smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, and cayenne. You can make this as spicy OR as mild as you'd like.The BEST Cajun Seasoning Blend from Running in a Skirt Click To Tweet
What is Cajun Seasoning Spice Mix?
Before we dive into the BEST Cajun Seasoning recipe let's get down to what EXACTLY is a Cajun Spice Mix.
Cajun Seasoning actually originated from Louisiana where you'll often see Cajun or Creole cuisine. A Cajun Spice Mix can vary widely from recipe to recipe but it's often a blend of savory spices like paprika and oregano with something to add a kick like cayenne. It's similar to blackening or creole seasoning.
It's available as a blend to buy in many grocery stores or you can make your own version following this recipe.
The best part about this ingredient list is you'll most likely already have it in your pantry!
- Smoked Paprika: I love the flavor and color smoked paprika gives this blend. It gives the recipe that infamous orange color and smoky flavor. You can use plain paprika, but I'd highly recommend adding some smoked paprika to your spice cabinet if you don't already have it.
- Sweet Paprika: I balance the flavor of the smoked paprika by adding a smaller about of regular or Sweet Paprika. This gives your dishes a balanced Cajun flavor.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic Powder gives this Cajun Seasoning recipe the perfect garlic flavor without having to chop a bunch of cloves. It allows the garlic flavor to be evening disbursed in your cajun dish.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder gives any dish lots of savory flavors and evenly distributes onion flavor throughout the dish. I love using it in my Cajun Spice Mix for lots of savory flavors.
- Oregano: Oregano has a peppery, sweet, and slightly minty aroma. It's often used in Meditteranean cuisine but is also a lovely addition to this blend. It adds an earthy flavor.
- Thyme: Thyme is also a member of the mint family. It's subtle but adds more earthy complexity to this mix.
- Cayenne: It's not Cajun Seasoning without some spice! I used simple Cayenne to bring a subtle amount of heat. Cayenne also helps bring that classic orange coloring to the blend. You can adjust the heat level or your mix by adding more or less.
- Salt & Pepper: I like adding some salt and pepper to my blend since I like to generously salt and pepper my food anyway. If you are sensitive to salt and pepper you can make the spice blend without this and just add whatever salt and pepper you like to the dish on the side. Use fresh ground salt and pepper for the best results.
Pro Tip: As with any homemade seasoning blend be sure to use fresh spices for the most flavorful end result. Spices do keep for a long time in the cabinet BUT if they have been sitting for several years, you might want to replace them to get the most potent homemade blend.
How to Make the Best Cajun Seasoning Spice Mix:
- Measure all your ingredients.
- Dump all the spices in a jar and mix together well.
- Use immediately or cover and store in an airtight container for up to a year. I like to store my homemade spice mixes in these adorable mini jars.
Variations & FAQ
- Make it Spicy: If you want this Cajun Seasoning recipe spicier, add more cayenne pepper. If you want it less spicy, use a little less.
- Make it Salt-Free: Make this a Salt Free Cajun Spice Mix by leaving out the salt from the recipe. You can always sprinkle it on your food separately.
- Sub Italian Seasoning: If you don't have both oregano and thyme in your pantry you can sub an Italian Spice Mix. It has a few different ingredients, but it will still work.
- Make it a Marinade: To make it a marinade add ½ cup olive oil, juice from 1 lemon, and 1 tablespoon of the seasoning.
Which Cajun seasoning is the best?
In my opinion, THIS Cajun Seasoning Spice Mix is the BEST! If I still haven't sold you on making your own here are a few store-bought options I also love.
- Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning <--- comes in a regular and HOT blend!
- McCormick Cajun Seasoning
- Louisiana Cajun Seasoning
- Weber N'Orleans Cajun Seasoning
How long will these keep in the pantry?
This Cajun Seasoning will last in the pantry in an airtight container for up to a year. Just be sure to make it with fresh spices.
What to Use it In:
Sprinkle or stir this Cajun Seasoning Spice Mix over any of these yummy foods to make them Cajun!
- Roasted Veggies
It is also great in these recipes:
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp Burger
- Healthy Grilled Shrimp In Foil <--- Use instead of the Old Bay.
- Crock-Pot Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili <--- Add in addition to chili powder.
More Homemade Spice Mix Recipes to Love:
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Taco Spice Mix
- Homemade Italian Spice Mix
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice
- DIY Herbs de Provence
- Homemade Blackening Seasoning
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix
Best Cajun Seasoning Spice Mix
- Measure all the ingredients.
- Dump all the herbs and spices in a jar or container and stir well.
- Use immediatly or store in an airtight container for up to a year.
Pin for later...