Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix is an easy and convenient spice seasoning mix to keep in your pantry that's better than the one that comes in the packet. This zesty blend of spices is filled with parsley, chives, dill, onion, and garlic. Includes instructions to make it with or without dried buttermilk!
Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
You can't go wrong with a Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix. Sure, you can buy the packet at the store BUT you probably already have everything you need to blend your own personal mix at home. This recipe includes instructions on how to make a Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing copycat recipe WITH dried buttermilk OR a zesty blend of FRESH ranch spices without it.
Either way, you make it, this Ranch Spice Mix is pure perfection and a powerhouse recipe to keep in your pantry. You can use this anywhere you'd use ranch seasoning packets or even add it to a wide array of dips, dressings, vegetables, and meats.
Plus you can feel GOOD eating this homemade blend because you know exactly what ingredients are in it! No preservatives or extra MSG here.So good! DIY Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix Click To Tweet
Why You'll Love This DIY Ranch Seasoning Mix...
- This Ranch Seasoning Mix is made with simple, easy-to-find ingredients including dried herbs already in your pantry.
- It's healthier than the packet without preservatives.
- You can make it with or without buttermilk making it dairy-free or vegan if you'd like.
- It's a great recipe to keep on hand if you meant to buy one of those Hidden Valley Ranch packets at the store and forgot. It's a great pantry staple.
What is buttermilk powder?
Curious about what is buttermilk powder? It's actually just powder that is created by dehydrating regular buttermilk. Buttermilk is the liquid that is left over during the buttermilk process. It has a unique tangy flavor that gives ranch its classic flavor.
The traditional ranch packets that you get in the store contain buttermilk powder, which is why I'm giving you the option to include it in this recipe. If you want a copycat version of the ranch packet be sure to include it in the DIY Ranch Seasoning Mix. If you are just looking for a zesty blend of ranch spices, leave it out.
You can find buttermilk in the baking aisle section of most grocery stores or pick it up on Amazon.
Can you buy ranch seasoning?
YES! Ranch Seasoning comes in a packet or shaker and is found in most grocery stores. You can just buy this spice blend, but I like to make my own because you can control what goes in it. Plus, you actually probably already have these spices in your cabinet so making your own is also budget-friendly.
- Parsley: The most prominent herb in Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix is dried parsley. It provides green color in bulk and a mild herby flavor to the spice blend.
- Chives: Chives are another distinct flavor needed for the ranch. It has a mild, oniony flavor.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder has a sharp, toasty onion flavor that adds a lot of richness to the blend.
- Garlic Powder: You'll need lots of garlic to get that ranch flavor. It's distinct, pungent, and irreplaceable.
- Dill: Dried Dill or Dill Weed is aromatic and delicate. It's another necessary flavor in a ranch that gives it the taste you love.
- Powdered Buttermilk: You can just have a nice ranch spice blend with lots of fresh herbs OR make a more copycat version of the Hidden Valley Ranch packets by adding the powdered buttermilk. If you are going to use the ranch mix to make those traditional dressings or dips, you'll want to use this powdered milk. If you are just using it to season fish or vegetables, you don't need it.
- Salt & Black Pepper: I like to add salt and pepper to my mix, but you can make it low sodium by leaving out the salt.
How to Make Homemade Ranch Seasoning:
- Get out all of your spices and check them for freshness. This recipe will only be as good as the spices you have.
Combine the parsley, chives, onion powder, garlic powder, dill, and salt and pepper in a small container whisk or mix well.
To make the traditional packet ranch seasoning mix add the powdered buttermilk. If you want a copycat version of the Ranch Seasoning packet you can use a spice grinder or coffee bean grinder to mix it all together into a fine powder.
Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a dark pantry.
Can you make Ranch Seasoning Mix ahead of time?
YES! You can easily make this Ranch Seasoning Mix ahead of time and keep it in your pantry for safekeeping.
How long can you store ranch seasoning mix?
It will store for about a year depending on the freshness of your spices.
How much ranch seasoning does this make?
This recipe makes about 6 servings.
How much ranch seasoning mix do I use in recipes?
The classic ranch packets contain 2 tablespoons of ranch seasoning. When substituted this for the packet, use two tablespoons.
- Basic Traditional Ranch Salad Dressing: ½ cup mayo, ½ cup sour cream, ¾ cup milk, two tablespoons ranch seasoning mix
- Basic Ranch Dip: ½ cup mayo, ½ cup sour cream, ¼ cup milk, two tablespoons ranch seasoning mix
Recipes to Use it In:
This Ranch Seasoning Mix is perfect in place of anywhere you would use classic ranch seasoning. Put these homemade seasonings in any dip or dressing! It's also great as a basic seasoning on everything from popcorn, roasted potatoes, chicken, fish, and roasted vegetables or veggies.
Here are some other recipes to use it in.
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- Greek Yogurt Chipolote Ranch
- Healthy Everything But the Bagel Ranch
- Crispy Ranch Chickpeas
- Parmesan Ranch Cauliflower
So good! DIY Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix Click To Tweet
More Homemade Spice Mixes to Try:
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Taco Spice Mix
- Homemade Italian Spice Mix
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice
- DIY Herbs de Provence
- Homemade Blackening Seasoning
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix
Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup powdered buttermilk, optional
- Combine the parsley, chives, onion powder, garlic powder, dill and salt and pepper in a small container mix well.
- To make the traditional packet ranch seasoning mix add the powdered buttermilk.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a dark pantry.
Pin for later