This Asparagus Pasta recipe with tomatoes is light, flavorful, and tasty - perfect for a spring or summer dinner. Simple ingredients like olive oil, garlic, basil, parmesan, and toasted pine nuts shine in this delicious vegetarian pasta dish will have everyone asking for seconds.
Asparagus Pasta Recipe with Tomatoes
This Asparagus Pasta Recipe with Tomatoes is the perfect meal for spring. With the new season here, I'm slowly starting to crave more fresh food and spring vegetables like asparagus and tomatoes. This easy vegetarian dinner is perfect for meals outside as the weather warms.
You will love how super simple ingredients shine to make a flavorful dish that everyone will want more of. All this recipe takes to make is some rich vegetable broth, garlic, parmesan cheese, pasta (I used whole wheat,) and tomatoes. The shining star of the dish is a sprinkle of pine nuts at the end. The fragrant nuts really bring a depth of flavor to this simple dish.
Of course, you'll need asparagus and tomatoes too! That's what really makes this dish perfect for the new season. Asparagus is the quintessential spring vegetable and is perfect in this pasta.Perfect for spring! Asparagus Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes from Running in a Skirt. Click To Tweet
Why I Love This Asparagus Pasta Recipe...
- You can make this Asparagus Pasta Recipe a bit healthier or more indulgent depending on the pasta you use. I used whole wheat penne pasta but use whatever type fits your diet and preference.
- This pasta is packed with fresh vegetables, making it an easy way to add more veggies to your diet.
- The sauce is simple and super light with garlic, olive oil, and cooked-down tomatoes in vegetable stock.
- It really allows the fresh ingredients to shine, so only buy the best for this dish!
- It's finished with parmesan cheese AND pine nuts!
I seriously love that this vegetarian pasta can be on your table in 30 minutes too!
Here's what you'll need to make your Asparagus Pasta recipe.
- Pasta: Use your favorite type of pasta for this dish and whatever type fits your diet. You can use regular, protein-enriched, whole wheat, chickpea pasta, or even gluten-free pasta. Make sure to pick one that you like though because the sauce is simple and doesn't cover up the taste.
- Olive Oil: Pick a nice extra virgin olive oil because it's the base for the sauce. I like this one!
- Garlic: Garlic is one of the key flavors of this dish. I like to chop my own for this but you can use pre-minced garlic if you are short on time.
- Asparagus: Fresh asparagus is the star of this dish! Use fresh and remove the woody ends to prepare it. Cut it into 1-inch pieces. You can use either thick or thin asparagus, but if you have a choice I like the thin type. Asparagus is a great vegetable choice for a healthy pasta because it's full of fiber, Vitamin C, vitamin A, Vitamin K, Folate, Potassium, Phosphorous, and Vitamin E. It's a low-calorie, high vitamin food!
- Tomatoes: I like to use fresh cherry tomatoes for this recipe. The fresher they are, the tastier this pasta dish will be.
- Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan Cheese brings richness to the pasta and dish. Use grated or shredded.
- Basil: If you can get your hands on FRESH basil, do it! It really makes the flavors in this dish pop.
- Toasted Pine Nuts: Pine Nuts have their own nutty flavor and it really comes out when you toast them. They are a bit of a splurge, but if you can swing it they make this dish delightful! You can also use almonds or leave them off if you can't find them or they don't fit in your budget.
- Vegetable Stock: This recipe uses vegetable stock to create a light sauce. Use your favorite brand.
- Pasta Water: After the pasta is cooked, save some of the water it was cooked in. The pasta releases natural starches in the water that helps thicken the sauce a little.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
Making my Asparagus Pasta recipe is super simple and takes less than 30 minutes.
In a large pot, boil or cook pasta according to package directions. Leave the pasta al dente. Drain and reserve ½ cup pasta water.
Over medium heat in a large skillet, saute the garlic in the olive oil for 30 seconds- just until fragrant. Be careful not to burn.
Add the asparagus and cook for about 3 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. I like to use fresh ground for both.
Add the cherry tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the stock and allow to simmer. Cook for another 3 minutes or until the stock starts to reduce. Check and make sure that your asparagus is tender.
Add the pasta, pasta water, vegetable mixture, and mix until well combined.
- Remove from the heat and stir in ¾ cup of the cheese and basil. If it's still dry, you can add a few more tablespoons of pasta water. Pour into a serving bowl.
Top with the rest of the cheese and pine nuts.
How do you store leftovers?
Store any leftovers of your Asparagus Pasta recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Can I double the recipe?
YES! This recipe can easily double or triple for a crowd. It's great for a cookout or dinner party.
Can I freeze this?
I would not recommend freezing this recipe because it will dry out. The light sauce doesn't freeze well.
What do I serve with it?
This is actually a fabulous complete meal with some sparkling water or wine! If you want to have something on the side here are some ideas.
- Crusty Bread
- Garden Salad with Greek Dressing
- Add a protein like chicken, fish, salmon, shrimp, or scallops!
- Make it Gluten Free: You can make this Asparagus Pasta recipe gluten-free by switching out the pasta to gluten-free.
- Mix Up the Veggies: This recipe is pretty customizable and you can add other cooked veggies like broccoli or peppers! You can also stir in some greens like spinach or kale.
- Make it Creamy: Add some greek yogurt to the sauce after cooking to make it creamy.
- Change the Cheese: Instead of parmesan cheese use goat or feta cheese. YUM!
- Add Some Lemon: Brighten the entire dish up by using fresh lemon juice or lemon zest.
- Make it Richer: To make it a bit richer, use butter instead of the olive oil or use half butter and half olive oil.
- Make it Spicy: Toss in some red pepper flakes at the end for a little punch.
- Make it Meaty: This is a vegetarian dinner, but you can make it a meat meal by topping it with chicken, fish, or seafood.
Can't you just imagine serving a big bowl of this Asparagus Pasta recipe with tomatoes for dinner outside? I can't wait for the new season!
Perfect for spring! Asparagus Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes from Running in a Skirt. Click To Tweet
More Healthy Asparagus Recipes:
- Garlic Parmesan Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Asparagus Salad
- Asparagus with Tomato and Feta Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad with Asparagus
- Rosemary Lemon Asparagus
More Healthy Pasta Recipes:
- Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Creamy Avocado Pasta
- Brushetta Pasta Salad
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Kale Pasta
- Roasted Broccoli Pasta with Tahini Dressing
Asparagus Pasta Recipe with Tomatoes
- 8 ounces penne pasta, about 2 cups dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1 inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup pasta water
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil pasta according to package instructions to al dente. Drain and reserve ½ cup pasta water.
- Over medium heat in a large skillet, sauté the garlic in the olive oil for 30 seconds just until fragrant. Be careful not to burn.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Season with a pinch of the salt and pepper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Season with a pinch of the salt and pepper.
- Add the stock and allow to simmer. Cook for another 3 minutes or until stock starts to reduce.
- Add the pasta, pasta water, vegetable mixture, and basil. Mix until well combined.
- Remove from the heat and stir in most of the cheese and pine nuts, leaving a small amount of to top the dish with. If the dish seems dry add a few more tablespoons of pasta water.
- Pour the Asparagus Pasta recipe in a bowl and top with the rest of the cheese and pine nuts.
- Serve immediately.
Pin for later