Fresh spring vegetables shine in my Healthy Tomato and Asparagus pasta recipe!
Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Looking for something festive? Check out my Healthy & Skinny Shamrock Shake or my Greenest Green Salad with Homemade Green Goddess Dressing. I hope you have something fun planned today.
With spring officially arriving Sunday, I'm slowly starting to crave more fresh food and spring vegetables. I'm envisioning many dinners outside on the deck with huge portions of fresh veggies. I'm planning on starting as soon as it gets warm enough and enjoying it through fall. Eating dinner outside for most of last summer with the Hubs was such a joy. Since my work schedule was so bad before, it was the first year I was able to do that routinely.
This dish is perfect for those lazy meals outside. Asparagus is the quintessential spring vegetable, so I decided to use it in a simple and healthy tomato and asparagus pasta recipe.
I used whole wheat penne pasta and packed the dish with fresh vegetables to keep it on the healthier side.
The sauce is simple with garlic and cooked down tomatoes in vegetable stock.
It really allows the fresh ingredients to shine, so only buy the best for this dish!
It's finished with salty Parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts and slivers of fragrant basil.
Can't you just imagine serving a big bowl of this for dinner outside in a few weeks? I can't wait!
Fresh Tomato and Asparagus Pasta recipe
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta, about 2 cups dried
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1 ½ inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup pasta water
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Boil pasta 1 minute less than package instructions to al dente. Drain and reserve ½ cup pasta water.
- Over medium heat, saute the garlic in the olive oil for 1 minute just until fragrant. Be careful not to burn.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Season with a pinch of the salt and pepper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes. Season with a pinch of the salt and pepper.
- Add the stock and allow to simmer. Cook for another 3 minutes or until stock starts to reduce.
- In a pasta bowl, add the pasta, pasta water, vegetable mixture and half of the cheese, basil and pine nuts. Mix until well combined.
- Top with the rest of the cheese, basil and pine nuts.
- Serve immediately.
Like it? Don't forget to pin to favorite Pinterest board. Thank you so much! xoxo
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow I'm sharing my favorite most-wearable fashion trends for the spring season, including some of my top picks.
I’m linking up with: Meatless Monday with Sarah and Deborah, Meatless Monday with Annmarie, Delicious Dish Tuesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday with Miz Helen, FoodFriDIY, Foodie Friday, and the Weekend Potluck. Thanks so much ladies for the link up parties!
What is your favorite spring vegetable?