Stop buying the packet of high sodium taco seasoning and try my perfect Mexican Spice Blend to make your favorite dishes like tacos and enchiladas. My Mexican Spice Mix recipe is the best homemade spice blend with just six flavorful ingredients. Healthy and delicious!
Homemade Mexican Spice Blend Recipe
I love making healthy Mexican food at home. I do it so much that I got tired of constantly blending my favorite spices together for that PERFECT Southwest flavoring in dishes. Sure I could buy a taco seasoning packet at the store, but it often has extra sodium or preservatives that aren't really necessary. My version is the perfect blend of familiar flavors you love in a much healthier and homemade package. This simple Homemade Mexican Spice Blend recipe comes together with just six easy-to-find ingredients.
I love mixing up a big batch of my favorite Mexican spices. Whether I use it on tacos, enchiladas, fajitas or other fiesta inspired dishes, it always amps up the flavor of my meals with practically no work. I use this homemade blend in my kitchen every couple of days and adore it.
Why you'll love this Mexican Spice Mix recipe...
This Mexican Spice Mix recipe is super easy and uses only 6 spices that you most likely already have in your pantry. The base is chili powder but I add cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and SMOKED paprika.
The smoked paprika gives the mix the perfect subtle flavor and is my secret ingredient. BOOM!
This Mexican Spice Blend is a flavor bomb like no other.
To kick it up another notch I add chipotle pepper. The smokiness of the paprika and the chipotle pepper is sheer perfection. If you can't find chipotle you can also do any hot pepper you like or leave it out if you want it mild.
This version has just a tiny kick of flavor... nothing serious at all. If you like your food spicy add more cayenne pepper for some easy heat!
What is Mexican Spice Blend?
A Mexican Spice Blend is like a homemade taco seasoning but without the added sodium and preservatives. It's a great spice blend to make at home because it's super versatile and goes with any Mexican or Latin inspired dishes. Here's what's in my version.
- Chili Powder: Chili Powder provides the perfect base for a homemade Mexican spice blend. The combination of flavors is the perfect place to start.
- Cumin: Cumin provides a distinctive earthy, nutty, and robust flavor that is distinctive in fajitas and other Mexican cooking.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic Powder provides the distinctive garlic flavor while keeping this seasoning blend shelf-stable.
- Onion Powder: Onion Powder gives this Mexican Spice Blend a rich onion flavor without having to add the onion.
- Smoked Paprika: Smoked Paprika is my special ingredient that adds a deep rich color and a naturally smoky flavor to this blend.
- Chipolte Powder: I love the distinctive smoky flavor of Chipotle Chile Pepper powder in Mexican recipes. This is my favorite addition to my homemade spice mix.
How to Make Mexican Spice Blend
- Find the spices in the cabinet or buy them on Amazon.
- Put all the spices together in a mason jar and mix until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container or old cleaned out spice jar in your pantry for up to a year.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use granulated onion or garlic instead of powder.
- If you can't find smoked paprika you can use regular paprika but I like the smoked so much more.
- If you don't have the chipotle powder you can also use cayenne pepper powder.
- If you like your blend spicy, add more chipotle or cayenne pepper.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make more. Store it in a glass jar or old spice container for safekeeping.
There are literally hundreds of recipes you can use this blend in including my Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas I shared just the other day... but I thought I'd leave you with a few to inspire your cooking! I even sprinkle it over my black beans when I'm making a simple Black Bean and Avocado Quesadilla.
I promise this Mexican Spice Blend will become something you reach for often. Enjoy!
Use it in...
- Crock Pot Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
- Vegetarian Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa Bake
- Southwest Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
More Homemade Spice or Seasoning Blends to Try:
Mexican Spice Mix recipe
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or chipotle pepper
Like my Mexican Spice Mix recipe? I’d love it if you could pin this to your favorite Pinterest board! Thank you so much for your support.