All the Mexican flavor without the fat or guilt! My Crock Pot Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa Bake just might be your new favorite.
Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!
Big surprise but today just happens to be one of my favorite holidays. I mean seriously ANY excuse to eat Mexican food and drink margaritas is good with me!
In honor of the holiday I thought I’d share a new health-i-fied Mexican dish today. I’m even busting back out the Crock Pot for you. It may or may not be the last time of the season. We shall see 🙂
I’m calling it Crock Pot Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa Bake! I wanted to add smoky chipolte in the title too…. but alas I decided that was a bit too wordy. But never fear, it IS smoky and chipolte flavored.
The smoky flavor comes from adding a chipote in adobe sauce! They are a little spicy so add as much or as little as you can handle. The flavor is incredible though.
My Mexican Quinoa Bake is super versatile. You can can just scoup it out and eat it as a main dish with toppings.
Or you can use it as a taco or burrito filling.
My favorite way is with fresh tomato, green onion, cilantro AND fresh sliced avocado! I mean how can you go wrong here?
The quinoa and beans make a complete protein and the veggies add plenty of healthy benefits. It has all the good Mexican flavors but without any of the guilt!
Enjoy on Cinco de Mayo or any day!
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 2 1/4 cups high quality vegetable broth
- 1 chipolte chili in adobe sauce chopped
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat mexican cheese
- toppings: sliced avocado diced tomato, cilantro, lime, green onions
- In a separate saute pan over medium heat, saute the onion and pepper for 3-5 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add everything except the cheese (and toppings) to the Crock Pot and mix. Turn to high and cook for 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours and 15 minutes. Cook just until the qunioa is tender.
- Fluff the quinoa and then smooth back out the top. Sprinkle with cheese and put the lid back on just until the cheese melts.
- Serve with any of the toppings!
The chipolte in adobe sauce can be spicy so use cautiously. If you can handle the heat add an addition tablespoon or two of the smoky sauce!
Like it? I’d love it if you could pin this to your favorite recipe, crock pot, vegetarian or Mexican themed board! Thank you so much for the support.
Also try these Mexican Favorites!
Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas (old photos, great recipe!)
3 Bean Enchiladas (old photos, great recipe!)
Yes… I do like my Mexican food. I’m not even sure that’s all of them on Running in a Skirt. 🙂
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow I’m taking Fashion Friday on the road to Grenada.
Do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo?