All the Mexican flavor without the fat or guilt. My Crock Pot Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa Bake just might be your new favorite.
Happy Wednesday everyone!
My love of Mexican food runs deep. In fact, I could eat variations of it three times a day and want to start over again tomorrow. I’ll basically make up any excuse to eat Mexican food and drink margaritas!
In honor of my favorite food, I thought I’d share a new health-i-fied Mexican dish today. I’m even busting back out the slow cooker for you. It may or may not be the last time of the season. We shall see 🙂
I’m calling it Crock Pot Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa Bake! I wanted to add smoky chipotle in the title too…. but alas I decided that was a bit too wordy. But never fear, it IS smoky and chipotle flavored.Crock Pot Mexican Quinoa Bake - perfect filling for bowls, tacos or burritos!
Why you’ll love this Crock Pot Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa Bake…
The smoky flavor comes from adding a chipotle in adobe sauce! They are a little spicy so add as much or as little as you can handle. The flavor is incredible though.
My Mexican Quinoa Bake is super versatile. You can just scoop it out and eat it as a main dish with toppings.
Or you can use it as a taco or burrito filling.
If you are like me use it for breakfast tacos with eggs, a burrito for lunch and Mexican inspired bowl for dinner with avocado and fresh cilantro.
And don’t forget the lime. 🙂
My favorite way is with fresh tomato, green onion, cilantro, AND fresh sliced avocado! I mean how can you go wrong here?
The quinoa and beans make a complete protein and the veggies add plenty of healthy benefits. It has all the good Mexican flavors but without any of the guilt!
Enjoy any day or all day!Crock Pot Mexican Quinoa Bake - perfect filling for bowls, tacos or burritos!
Also try these Mexican Favorites!
- Vegetarian Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- Crock Pot Lentil Tacos
- Southwest Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Vegetarian Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Black Bean & Avocado Quesadilla
- Vegetarian Oven Fajitas
- Black Bean Enchilada Stack
- Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas
- 3 Bean Enchiladas
Love this Crock Pot Vegetarian Mexican Quinoa Bake? Pin it to your favorite board.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 2 1/4 cups high-quality vegetable broth
- 1 chipotle chili in adobe sauce chopped
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese
- toppings: sliced avocado diced tomato, cilantro, lime, green onions
- In a separate saute pan over medium heat, saute the onion and pepper for 3-5 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add everything except the cheese (and toppings) to the Crock Pot and mix. Turn to high and cook for 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours and 15 minutes. Cook just until the quinoa is tender.
- Fluff the quinoa and then smooth back out the top. Sprinkle with cheese and put the lid back on just until the cheese melts.
- Serve with any of the toppings!
The chipotle in adobe sauce can be spicy so use cautiously. If you can handle the heat add an additional tablespoon or two of the smoky sauce!
Do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo?