Taco salad gets a healthy makeover with my Vegetarian Taco Salad recipe! Top it with a super simple, Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing– it only tastes indulgent!
I’m back again with another Mexican themed recipe. Big surprise, huh?
Another one of my Mom’s dishes growing up was taco salad. She made hers with kidney beans and taco meat. If I remember correctly it also involved iceberg lettuce, bottled Catalina dressing and perhaps Doritos? Now there is nothing wrong with that, I remember I always loved taco salad night! No judgement if that’s your dinner tonight 🙂
I’d like to offer you a way to mix it up though. I gave my Mom’s version a healthy makeover!
It’s my Vegetarian Taco Salad recipe!
I start with fresh veggies and a simple can of kidney beans, dressed up in some spices. You could also easily do this with tempeh or vegetarian sausage, but I find beans to be more universally appealing AND much easier to get the Hubs to eat.
The real star is the homemade Creamy Cilantro Avocado dressing. This stuff is da bomb, friends. And it is ridiculously easy to make. The creaminess comes from the avocado and Greek yogurt.
Serve it with or without cheese and tortilla chips, depending on how healthy you want to go. I went with tortilla chips, but no cheese.
Don’t be intimidated by the longer ingredient list, this recipe comes together in no time. If you are really in a pinch, you can always eat the beans without sauteing them first.
Either way, this is really the perfect weekday meal. Enjoy!
- 1 recipe Creamy Avocado Dressing **
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 hearts of romaine chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 avocado sliced (use other 1/2 in dressing)
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Optional sides/ toppings: tortilla chips shredded Mexican cheese
- In a pan over medium heat warm the coconut oil. Add the bean, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until beans have absorbed some of the flavor. You can also serve the beans out of the can.
- To assemble the salad, make a bed of romaine lettuce. Top with the beans. Sprinkle the rest of the toppings. Serve with chips and optional Mexican cheese.
** Make the Creamy Avocado Dressing here!
Like it? I’d love for you to pin it to your favorite Pinterest board! Thank you.
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow I have a fresh spring look for Fashion Friday.
I’m linking up with: Thinking Out Loud Thursday, Meatless Monday with Sarah and Deborah, Meatless Monday with Annmarie and Rachel Delicious Dish Tuesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday with Miz Helen, FoodFriDIY, Foodie Friday, and the Weekend Potluck. Thanks so much ladies for the link up parties!
How many excuses can you make to eat tacos?[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]