Vegetarian Tacos have never looked this tasty! My Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos will soon become one of your favorites!
Total honestly today. I love these tacos.
They are simple, inexpensive and so easy to make. Yet somehow my Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos feel special.
The first time I made them the hubs was a little confused and asked what the "meat" was. I think he thought I either lost my mind and it was chicken or I was serving him tofu.
(Nothing against tofu, I just know he doesn't like it, so I try not to make it much for him.)
When I said sweet potatoes, it clicked! He agreed that the combination is a match made in taco heaven.
To make them, you just roast the potatoes in the oven and then combine them with black beans, onions and spices in a pan. Most of the cooking time with this is hands-free with the potatoes in the oven.
Serve the taco filling with whole wheat tortillas and your favorite taco accompaniments for a very healthy alternative to eating tacos out.
Try it once and you'll be hooked, just like I am.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 2 cloves
- 1 lime
- dash of hot sauce, optional
- 8 soft taco shells, I use whole wheat
- toppings: avocado, cilantro, sour cream (or plain greek yogurt), lime, queso freso, pico de gallo
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Toss sweet potatoes in half the olive oil half the seasonings. Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes until fork tender.
- With 10 minutes left in the potato cooking time start the next steps.
- Over medium heat in a non stick pan, saute the onions in the remaining olive oil until soft. Cook them beyond translucent for about 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans and rest of the spices to the pan. Reduce heat to simmer.
- When potatoes are done add them to the pan. Add the hot sauce and squeeze the lime on top.
- Warm tortillas according to the package instructions and serve immediately with the toppings!
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow is Fashion Friday and I'll be showing you how to wear a denim vest through fall.
I’m Thinking Out Loud about tacos today. Thanks for the linkup Amanda.
I’m sharing this recipe roundup for Foodie Friday, Meatless Monday with Tina and Deborah, Meatless Monday with Annmarie and the Weekend Potluck. Also Full Plate Thursday with Miz Helen,FoodFriDIY and What’s Cookin’ Wednesday. Thanks so much ladies for the link up parties!
Do you like tacos?
Tofu? Yay or nay?