These Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw are the perfect taco combination!
It’s safe to say I have a taco addiction.
It goes along with my burrito and my “I could eat a quesadilla every day of my life” dependency issues. Some people love chocolate. I love chipotle flavored anything.
My Mom used to say my issues go back to birth. She said she consumed copious amounts of Tex-Mex while pregnant with me and was convinced I was hard wired to crave salsa. You see, I was born in Fort Worth, Texas and she was enamored with the food for the two years my parents lived there.
I guess there are worse problems to have.
Especially when it’s so easy to whip up something like this at home!
Don’t let the long ingredient list scare you, we had most of these items in our pantry and you probably do to. In fact I only had to go out and buy the cabbage and Pico de Gallo to make these on a whim Memorial Day.
Note: These tacos have a kick! I made some modification ideas below if you like your food a little less hot.
Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos
with Cilantro Slaw
Makes 8 tacos
For the Fish
1 1/2 pounds halibut or other white fish, cut into chunks
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons white vinegar
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 teaspoons honey
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or whatever type you have)
2 teaspoons Old Bay, or other seafood seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chipotle Cholula (sub your favorite hot sauce, or omit is you are sensitive to heat)
For the Sauce
4 ounces light sour cream
2 tablespoons adobo sauce from chipotle peppers (use less if you are sensitive to heat!)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon Old Bay. or other seafood seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
2 tablespoon chopped red onion
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons fresh seeded & chopped jalapeno (optional! Only if you like hot food!)
8 taco size tortillas
Mexican Cheese or Queso Fresco
Pico de Gallo
1. Make the marinade! Start by whisking the olive oil, vinegar, lime, honey, garlic, cumin, chili powder, Old Bay, pepper and hot sauce in a bowl.
3. Make the dressing by combining the sour cream, adobo sauce, lime juice, and Old Bay. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate.
4. To make the slaw combine the cabbage, cilantro, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, honey and jalapeno in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
5. When you are ready to eat, heat grill to medium heat. Grill fish in a grill pan or cedar planks about 3 minutes to each side. Remove fish from heat when it flakes. You can also cook the fish in the oven (6-8 minutes) or in a pan (3 minutes each side.)
6. Heat tortillas in microwave or on grill
7. Assemble the fish tacos and enjoy!
What’s your favorite type of food?
How is your week going?