Guacamole for One is a quick and healthy homemade avocado dip that's made in a small batch with just one avocado. This simple and easy guacamole is filled with cilantro, lime, tomato, and red onion for the perfect fresh dip or spread to make again and again.
Guacamole for One
Guacamole for One is a staple in my life. The creamy avocado dip and I are good friends and who go back years and years. I almost always keep the ingredients on hand to make this small-batch recipe. I'll often make a big batch for a crowd, but there is sometimes a reason why you might need to make just a little... especially since Guacamole doesn't really keep in the fridge.
Whether you just have one perfectly ripe avocado to use up or are cooking just for yourself, there are so many times a small batch recipe for guacamole could come in handy. This recipe is perfect for a simple homemade avocado dip with chips or if you need just a little to put on top of tacos of my Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers.
If you are having a craving for guac and no one else in your house is (GASP!) this trusty little recipe for Guacamole for One will get you through the night.
What can I make with one avocado?
This recipe is perfect because it helps you answer that question... what CAN I make with one avocado! If you have just one ripe one left on the counter MAKE THIS and I promise you will not be disappointed.Guacamole for One Click To Tweet
Ingredients in the Small Batch Guacamole:
Here's what you will need to make the small-batch guacamole.
- Avocado: You will need just ONE perfectly ripe avocado for this recipe. Read my tips below to pick out a good one.
- Red Onion: I love sharp red onion in my guacamole. You will need to finely dice just enough to mix with the avocado.
- Tomato: Chopped tomato is optional in Guacamole for One BUT I love the additional flavor and color it adds to the dish.
- Jalapeno: I remove the seeds and white part out of my jalapenos to just get the flavor but if you like your hot, leave that in.
- Lime: I LOVE lime so my recipe includes a generous amount.
- Cilantro: You'll need fresh cilantro for this recipe. Nothing else is a good substitute.
How to Pick Avocado for Guacamole:
The key to being able to make this recipe is getting the right perfectly ripe avocado. We all know that is harder than it sounds! Here are a few of my tips.
- Look for an avocado that is still firm but not rock hard. It needs to have a little give when ou apple gentle pressure.
- Ripe avocadoes often have a darker color and are usually not bright green.
- You can look under the stem of the avocado to check to make sure your avocado isn't too ripe. A good avocado will still be green there and not brown.
How to Make Guacamole From Scratch:
- Cut your avocado length-wise like shown in the above photo. Squeeze the sides gently and the seed should pop out. Put your avocado in a bowl and gently mash it with a fork.
- Add the diced tomato, diced red onion, diced jalapeno, and chopped cilantro to your bowl. Squeeze your lime on top.
- Carefully fold all the ingredients together making sure to leave some avocado chunks.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve immediately!
How to Serve It:
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy this Guacamole for One. Here are a few of my favorites!
- With chips as a dip.
- With Fajitas.
- As a spread in a wrap or sandwich.
- With vegetarian or fish tacos.
- On top of a quesadilla.
- As a garnish for Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
How do I Store Guacamole for One?
Guacamole turns brown when stored and is actually best enjoyed right when you make it. If you do have to store it put it in an airtight container in the fridge.
How do I Keep Guacamole for Turning Brown?
Avocado turns brown after being exposed to air for too long and there's not much you can do to stop it. That's why it's best enjoyed right after you make it. However, if you really need to make it ahead of time and store it adding extra lime to the top can help. You can also put a piece of plastic wrap pressed right up against the surface of the guac in the fridge to keep more air from hitting it and turning it brown. This can buy you a little time, but it will still turn.
How do I make my Guacamole spicy?
This recipe is pretty mild. To make it spicier add more jalapeno with the seeds, hot sauce, or cayenne pepper.
You are Going to Love this Guacamole for One!
I have been making this Guacamole for One recipe for years and years and it's honestly the perfect thing to do with just one ripe avocado. I love the combination of avocado, lime, red onion, cilantro, and lime! It's really a dream team blend of flavors that you can't beat.
Plus you will love that this all comes together with just a handful of ingredients and in less than 5 minutes.
Us guacamole lovers need to unite behind this deliciousness!Guacamole for One Click To Tweet
Guacamole for One
- Cut the avocado in half and squeeze out the green avocado. Lightly mash the avocado with a fork.
- Add the red onion, tomato, jalapeno, lime and cilantro to the bowl and carefully mix leaving some avocado chunks.
- Serve immediately with chips or on top of a Mexican dish.
Pin for later: