Black beans and sweet potatoes are the perfect pair in this Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe!
Hello from Florida!
I'm still at Palm Coast today enjoying some warmth and family time. Follow along on Instagram!
I asked y'all on Facebook and Instagram what kinds of recipes you'd like to see on Running in a Skirt and I got a lot of requests for easy dinner ideas! Luckily I'm the queen of the easy dinner and have all sorts of deliciousness up my sleeve.
First up is this Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe! It's the best of tacos and sweet potatoes combined into one pretty darn tasty package.
Why you'll love my Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe...
Sweet potatoes and black beans have always been one of my favorite combos!
These sweet potatoes are roasted to perfection and then stuffed with a simple skillet made combo of peppers, onions, and black beans. The secret to brining out all the flavors is my Homemade Taco Seasoning. I always have some on hand for recipes like this one. It makes creating meals like this one a breeze.
I topped mine with a touch of Mexican cheese and melted it in the oven! If you are vegan you can use vegan cheese or omit it all together. There is so much flavor in this little package that you don't really need it.
To top this Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe you can get a bit creative. I used some fresh guacamole <---try my small batch recipe using only one avocado! but you could also just use plain sliced avocado. Tomato, cilantro, jalapenos, plain Greek yogurt and even pico de gallo would all be delish toppings too. Basically, anything you top your tacos with is fair game.
Anyway you top them they are sure to be one of your favorite meals.
What's in this Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe...
How to Make this Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe...
These stuffed potatoes look fancy, but they really aren't hard to make! All but 10 minutes of the cooking time is passive while the potatoes roast!
- Slice your sweet potatoes in half. Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt and pepper. Roast until tender.
- Saute the onions and peppers until tender. Add the black beans and seasoning.
- Scoop out a small amount of the cooked potato. Dice it and add it into the black bean mixture.
- If you'd like to sprinkle the potato with a small amount of cheese and pop it back in the oven to melt.
- Top with all your favorite taco toppings!
If you love tacos and sweet potatoes, you HAVE to try this Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe. It's a fast, healthy and filling vegetarian or vegan dinner your whole family will love.
More fun spins on tacos...
- Taco Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Taco Soup
- Lentil Quinoa Taco Filling
- Vegetarian Taco Salad
Pin for later!
Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon taco seasoning *, divided
- ¼ cup bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- optional: cheese or vegan cheese
- garnish: guacamole ** or sliced avocado, cilantro, lime, jalapenos, pico de gallo
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Brush the potatoes a small amount of the olive oil. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning and salt and pepper. Roast for 45-55 minutes or until tender.
- In a non-stick saute pan over medium heat cook the pepper and onion until they start to get tender. Add the can of black beans and the rest of the taco seasoning. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, scoop out a small amount of the inside of the potato. Dice that potato and add it to the bean mixture.
- Stuff the potatoes with the bean mixture. Top with cheese or vegan cheese and pop them back in the oven to melt.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings like guacamole or fresh avocado slices, cilantro, pico de gallo or even fresh jalapenos!
Do you love tacos? 🙂
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.