This Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe is a perfect copycat for your favorite store-bought spice - Everything but the Bagel Seasoning - from Trader Joe's. Make your own for a delicious topping for everything from potatoes, salmon, deviled eggs, or even salad!
Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning
This Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning is full of flavor, simple, and easy to make at home. This combination of garlic, onion, sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and sea salt is inspired by my favorite bagel and the infamous Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Seasoning. This 6 ingredient mix is fresh, flavorful, and more budget-friendly than buying it.
I have a serious soft spot for everything bagels. One of my favorite things to do on a Saturday morning is pick up bagels from our local bagel shop and I'm always searching for the best new bagel shop when we travel. It's kind of my thing. I'm a borderline bagel addict. Since my love of this everything bagel seasoning runs deep, you probably will not be surprised that I love this seasoning blend and tweaked it until it was JUST RIGHT with the perfect combination of flavors that will remind you of an everything bagel.
Turns out Everything Bagel Seasoning tastes amazing on so many other dishes, not just bagels. Everything from salmon to roasted potatoes to ranch dressing can be kicked up a notch by this unexpected spice mix.
And I have to say this Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe is well... EVERYTHING!
What is everything bagel seasoning made of?
If you aren't familiar with Everting Bagel Seasoning it's basically all of the flavors you'll find in a classic New York Style Everything Bagel bottled in a jar. That usually includes dried garlic, dried onion, sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and flaky sea salt.
This seasoning was sometimes sold in bagel shops but became popular when Trader Joe's started selling Everything But the Bagel Seasoning. This popular spice has blossomed in popularity and most spice makers and local grocery stores now carry their own Everything Bagel blend including ALDI and Mccormick.
You can buy the spice mix, but if you are a DIY kind of person or are here looking for a good substitution, you might be surprised to see you probably have most of the stuff to make it in your pantry already. This copycat version is easy, healthy, and completely addictive. I'm also including links below to buy all of these spices online, if you don't happen to have them.
Why You'll Love this Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning...
- The fun thing about this Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe is you probably already have everything you need for this recipe in your spice pantry! If you don't have the items in your pantry I linked to where you can order them on Amazon below.
- The blend is simple but so delish. It's the perfect combination of seeds, garlic, onion powder, and just enough salt. It's a flavor BOMB!
- It takes just 6 ingredients and 5 minutes to make this DIY spice blend.
- It makes SO many dishes taste better. This seasoning is so tasty on sweet potato chips, cream cheese dip, or guacamole!
- Unlike a store-bought mix, you can control the ratios and salt in your own spice mix. Don't like poppy seeds? Use less or leave them out? Want a salt-free version? Just leave it out!
Here's an overview of what you need to make Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning. Keep reading for the exact recipe amounts.
- Dried Minced Garlic: You'll need Dried Garlic Flakes, Dehydrated Garlic, or Dried Minced Garlic for this. Granulated garlic, garlic powder, or garlic salt will not work because it's too fine. You want the garlic flakes with the larger pieces you can actually see. The tiny dehydrated pieces is what you are looking for.
- Dried Minced Onion: You'll also want to visible Dried Minced Onion or Dried Onion Flakes. Once again the fine onion power will give you the taste and texture you are looking for.
- Black Sesame Seeds: Black Sesame Seeds are a bit harder to find, but you can get them in the regular grocery store or Asian specialty store. They are also online here. If you can't find them or they aren't in your budget, you can use more regular sesame seeds.
- Sesame Seeds: Regular sesame seeds or white sesame seeds are commonly found with spices or find them online here. You can also use Toasted Sesame Seeds for even more flavor. If you are feeling extra ambitious, you can even toast your own sesame seeds for the most flavor.
- Poppy Seeds: Poppy seeds are another great addition to the Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Sea Salt Flakes: Once again you'll want to avoid fine table salt and get the sea salt flakes. The finely ground salt just doesn't give the same texture or flavor. You can also use kosher salt but just not plain table salt.
Pro Tip: Homemade Spice Blends taste best and have the most flavor when you use spices that aren't outdated. If you haven't replaced your spices in years, consider doing a spice cabinet upgrade to get the most flavor out of your Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning.
Buy it Here:
If you are an Amazon shopper, here's what you'll need to order to make this Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning.
Here's an overview of how to make my Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning, but keep scrolling for the full printable recipe.
- Find all the spices. Check the expiration dates. 🙂
- In a small bowl, mix together the dried garlic, dried onion, sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and sea salt flakes.
- Store in an airtight container like this one.
- Make it Salt-Free: Leave out the salt for a low-sodium or salt-free Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Make it Big Batch: Easily double or triple the recipe by clicking the 2x or 3x on the recipe card below.
Storage & Shelflife
Store the Everything Bagel Seasoning in an airtight container with a lid in a dark pantry or a cool dry place for up to a year. The spice mix is only as fresh as your spices though! So if you use old spices, it will not last that long.
Is Everything Bagel Seasoning Good for You?
Yes! The seeds that are in this mix have health benefits, vitamins, and nutrients. The mix can be heavy in salt though, so you do want to use it with caution if you are sensitive to sodium.
Who made the original everything bagel seasoning?
Contrary to current beliefs, the original Everything Bagel Seasoning was not originated at Trader Joe's. The true origin of the Everything Bagel dates back to New York in 1980. Bagel Shop owner, David Gussin, says an employee of this inspired him to sweep up all the toppings that fell off of all the other bagels they were making. The combination was called Everything because it was literally Everything!
What can I substitute for everything bagel seasoning?
This Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning recipe gives you the perfect substitution for not having the Trader Joe's spice mix on hand. This DIY version tastes just the same.
This Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning is so tasty!
This Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning is so tasty, unique, and easy to make. This unique spice blend amplifies many dishes from boring to flavor-packed. The possibilities to use it are endless including avocado toast, scrambled eggs, chicken, popcorn, veggies like broccoli or cauliflower, and more. A little sprinkle goes a long way to take almost any recipe to another level.
You can also try any of my dozen delicious recipes below-featuring spice. It will have you making this bagel spice blend again and again.
Recipes Using Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- Everything Bagel Roasted Potatoes
- Everything Bagel Stuffed Celery
- Everything Bagel Sweet Potato Chips
- Everything Bagel Cucumber Bites
- Everything Bagel Deviled Eggs
- Everything Bagel Cream Cheese Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Everything Bagel Hummus
- Everything Bagel Crispy Chickpeas
- Everything Bagel Salmon
- 4 Ingredient Everything Bagel Dip
- Everything Bagel Ranch Dressing
- Everything Bagel Salad
More Homemade Seasoning Blends to Try:
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Taco Spice Mix
- Homemade Italian Spice Mix
- DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice
- DIY Herbs de Provence
- Homemade Blackening Seasoning
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix
Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
Storage & ShelflifeStore the Everything Bagel Seasoning in an airtight container with a lid in a dark pantry for up to a year. The spice mix is only as fresh as your spices though! So if you use old spices, it will not last that long.
Pin for later