This Everything Bagel Hummus recipe is a creamy homemade hummus that tastes just like your favorite everything bagel. It's spiced with my Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning made of savory garlic, onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and salt for a flavor-packed and irresistible snack.
Everything Bagel Hummus Recipe
This Everything Bagel Hummus recipe is food perfection. Turns out hummus is the perfect platform for Everything Bagel Seasoning. The blended chickpeas make an ideal creamy base for this delightful spice. My friends, it's smooth, creamy, and downright DELICIOUS.
I have a deep love affair with everything bagels. My favorite weekend breakfast is a big EVERYTHING bagel sandwich with egg and cheese. It's like sheer foodie bliss for me.
So it's no surprise I also love the popular Everything Bagel seasoning. Whether you buy Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel Seasoning or whip up your own DIY version as I do, the combination of flavors like garlic, onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and salt takes me back to my favorite breakfast food. It's also pretty cool that so many different stores like ALDI now offer their versions too.
It's crazy how versatile Everything Bagel Seasoning is! Over the years I've created Everything Bagel Sweet Potato Chips, 4 Ingredient Healthy Everything Bagel Dip, Crispy Everything Bagel Chickpeas, and Everything Bagel Guacamole. Now that we are heading into the holidays I wanted to add a new dip to my EVERYTHING spread and decided to create Everything Bagel Hummus.
Why you'll love this Homemade Everything But the Bagel Hummus?
- Everything But the Bagel Hummus now comes packaged for sale (Tribe Everything Hummus, Sabra Everything Bagel Hummus, or Boar's Head Everything Bagel Hummus) BUT why buy it when you can mix your own up with just a few simple ingredients? That way you control what goes in there and it has fewer preservatives.
- Plus the storebought kind often has lots more oil than a homemade hummus making it a bit unhealthier. My version still has just enough oil but not TOO much to make it greasy or heavy.
- The not-so-secret ingredient that takes this Homemade Hummus over the top is Everything Bagel Seasoning. You can buy the pre-mixed kind or I have a simple DIY version on the blog. Just make sure to use flakey sea salt, minced garlic, and minced onion when making yours at home. It does have a much different texture than table salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- This quick and easy recipe comes together with a handful of ingredients in just 10 minutes.
- It's gluten-free, vegetarian, clean eating, vegan and dairy-free.
- It's a great way to elevate plain hummus to make it a more fun party dip or appetizer.
Here's an overview of what you'll need to make this Everything Bagel Hummus recipe, but keep scrolling for the full recipe amounts.
- Canned Chickpeas: I buy the low sodium kind and make sure to rinse and drain them well. You can buy either chickpeas or garbanzo beans, they are the same thing with just different names.
- Tahini: Tahini is just ground sesame seeds. It's often used in Middle Eastern dishes and has a thick peanut butter-like texture but is made with sesame seeds instead. It gives hummus that creamy and delicious flavor. If you have trouble finding it in the store, pick some up from Amazon here. (affiliate link) It's often near the peanut butter in the grocery store. Before using the tahini, be sure to stir it well. It separates much like natural peanut butter does.
- Minced Garlic: You can use fresh garlic cloves or minced garlic found in the produce section. If you use fresh garlic cloves, start with 2 cloves and add more if desired.
- Olive Oil: I only used 1 tablespoon of olive oil in my recipe to keep the calorie count lower and this hummus healthier.
- Lemon: Lemon juice is optional BUT I love the fresh zest it gives to hummus.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: Buy yours HERE or make your own DIY version. (affiliate link) If you want to make your own the ingredients are dried garlic, dried onion, black sesame seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and sea salt flakes.
You will also need a touch of water to give this hummus enough moisture. If yours still feels dry, add a few more drops until you hit the right consistency.
This is an overview of the instructions to make this Everything Bagel Hummus recipe, but the full detailed printable recipe is below in the recipe card.
Making Everything Bagel Hummus at home could not be easier. It takes less than 10 minutes with minimal mess and cleanup. You can use a high-speed blender or get a food processor like this one. I love mine that converts from a food processor to a blender. (Amazon affiliate link)
- Rinse and drain your chickpeas.
- Put all the ingredients except for the Everything Bagel Seasoning in the food processor and blend until smooth. If it feels a bit dry, at a few more drops of water until you hit the desired consistency.
- Add the Everything But the Bagel Seasoning in at the end. You want it to be well combined but not pulverized, so just give it a quick mix before transferring the hummus to a serving bowl.
- Top your hummus with extra seasoning and olive oil if desired.
What to Serve with Everything Bagel Hummus
This Everything Bagel Hummus works great as a dip OR spread. Use as a base or condiment in a sandwich or wrap. It's also great with dippers! Try some of these:
- Pita Chips
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced Cucumber
- Sliced Bell Pepper
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Bagel Chips
I love this Everything Bagel Hummus recipe as written, but here are some fun variations.
- Make it Spicy: Add a touch of your favorite hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
- Make it Oil-Free: To make it oil-free substitute the oil for the liquid in the chickpea can. It works as a thickening agent.
- Make it Cajun: Stir in some of my Homemade Cajun Seasoning.
- Make it Lime: To change the flavor profile you can swap out the lemon for lime.
- Add a Topping: Add a crunchy topping of my Everything Bagel Roasted Chickpeas.
More Tips for Making Hummus
Storage & Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to five days.
Hummus - either homemade or storebought - can be frozen for up to 4 months in a freezer-safe container. To thaw it out, transfer it to the fridge overnight. You will most likely need to stir it well to get it back to the correct consistency.
How do you make a super smooth hummus?
For an extra smooth hummus, you can warm up your chickpeas before blending them! Just pop them in the microwave with some water for 2-3 minutes. You can also remove the outer skin of each chickpea. Just pinch the chickpea and it will come off.
The hummus turns out good without these steps, but if you want to take the time to do them it will be a bit creamier.
Is hummus good on a bagel?
YES! Hummus is great on a toasted bagel and this Everything Bagel Hummus is exceptional. Mix it up by topping this homemade Everything Bagel Hummus on a plain, egg, sesame or onion bagel OR go to EVERYTHING Heaven and use it as a topping on an Everything Bagel.
What is the purpose of tahini in hummus?
Tahini is one of the main ingredients of hummus and gives it that rich sesame flavor. It's just purred sesame seeds! It adds smoothness and texture. You CAN make hummus without it BUT it's easy to find HERE and is a great addition to the hummus. I recommend keeping a jar around for recipes like this one.
Is it cheaper to make your own hummus?
Sometimes! A tub of hummus can run between $3-$5 depending on where you buy it but you can usually buy the ingredients to make your own for around $2!
Where to buy Everything Bagel Seasoning?
Everything Bagel Hummus Recipe is So Good!
This Everything Bagel Hummus recipe is so good. Its irresistible creamy texture will win you over. Whether you serve it as a spread on a sandwich, wrap, or toast or as a dip or appetizer for a party, it's sure to be a hit.
This Everything Bagel Hummus is so much better made at home! I know you will love it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
More Everything Bagel Recipes to Try:
- Everything Bagel Roasted Potatoes
- Everything Bagel Stuffed Celery
- Everything Bagel Sweet Potato Chips
- Everything Bagel Cucumber Bites
- Everything Bagel Deviled Eggs
- Everything Bagel Cream Cheese Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Everything Bagel Crispy Chickpeas
- Everything Bagel Salmon
- 4 Ingredient Everything Bagel Dip
- Everything Bagel Ranch Dressing
- Everything Bagel Salad
Everything Bagel Hummus
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and mix until smooth. You may need to add a touch more water to get the consistency you want.
- After the rest of the ingredients are smooth add in the Everything Bagel Seasoning. Mix together but don't break apart the spices too much.
- Serve with an additional sprinkle of Everything Bagel Seasoning on top.
Pin for later!