Cook Mexican at home in your slow cooker with my Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole recipe!
I’m fairly certain we’ve established my love of Mexican food here… but just in case you are new… I have a first class Mexican food addiction. I could eat a breakfast burrito for breakfast, tacos for lunch and a burrito for dinner without blinking an eye. I could have an IV of salsa and still want more of it. It’s a problem.
So needless to say when I was cleaning up my diet and wanting to learn to cook healthier food at home, I started by trying to figure out how to create some of my favorite mexican food dishes at home… or at least the flavors of those dishes. At that time I was also working the early morning shift so cooking in the Crock Pot was a must!
I quickly came up with and refined my Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole recipe.
Isn’t it a beaut???
So no, you will not exactly see something like this at a Mexican restaurant… but it does have all the flavors and instead of making tedious enchiladas I just stacked all the ingredients to get the same effect.
My Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole recipe is basically layers of corn tortillas, a homemade black beans and tomatoes mixture and low fat cheese. It’s healthier because instead of ALL THE CHEESE it has black beans and some veggies. Plus you can decided what type of cheese you’d like to include.
It’s crazy how easy it cooks up in the Crock Pot. Look at those edges…. shear perfection!
If you are in a hurry you can serve it with salsa and some plain greek yogurt from the fridge.
Or if you’re feeling FANNNCCCYYYYY you can top it like this. Either way it is totally delish.
This is one of those dishes I almost always have the stuff around to throw this together because I know it will be easy to make, taste amazing and handle my mexican food craving for the day.
Because you control the ingredients it’s so much better than going out.
Bonus points because my Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole recipe reheats well for leftovers! I know that from LOTS of experience.
I also make a very similar recipe in a casserole dish in the oven depending on my mood, so check that out too.
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 14.5 ounce cans reduced sodium black beans rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounce can garlic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can green chilies
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper optional
- 12 small corn tortillas taco sized
- 1/2 cup salsa or your favorite enchilada sauce
- 2 cups reduced fat mexican cheese blend
- Cooking spray
- Toppings: Plain greek yogurt and salsa or sliced avocado, diced tomatoes, cilantro and green onions
- Spray a large oval Crock Pot with cooking spray.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, sauté the pepper and onion in the olive oil 3-5 minutes until they are tender and the onions are turning translucent. Sprinkle with some of the salt, pepper and seasonings. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the drained black beans, can of tomatoes and green chilies. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat. Add the rest of the seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Start the enchilada stack by laying a single layer of tortillas on the bottom of the Crock Pot.
- Add 1/3 of the black bean mixture to the top of the tortillas. Layer 1/4 of the cheese on top of that. Add two more layers of the same thing.
- Finish off the stack with another layer of tortilla, the salsa or enchilada sauce and the last of the cheese.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Garnish and serve! Also great as leftovers.
Like it? I’d love it if you could pin this Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole recipe to your favorite Pinterest board! Thank you so much for the support.
Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole recipe
This a 2013 Running in a Skirt recipe that got a fancy makeover in 2017 with new text, photos and a printable recipe! It’s one of my favorites, so I hope you will enjoy it.
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow I’m sharing a cute look with white jeans for spring.
I’m linking up with: Meatless Monday with Sarah and Deborah, Meatless Monday with Annmarie and Rachel, Delicious Dish Tuesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday with Miz Helen, FoodFriDIY, Foodie Friday, and the Weekend Potluck. Thanks so much ladies for the link up parties!
What’s your favorite type of food?
Do you Mexican food at home?[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]