This flavor-packed Cajun Shrimp Burger recipe is tender, tasty and so easy to make - the perfect pescatarian addition to a barbecue or summer meal. It's topped with a delightful Greek Yogurt Cajun Sauce made with Homemade Cajun Seasoning. Filled with sweet shrimp, panko, garlic, lemon, shallots, red bell peppers, and more this flavor-packed burger will everyone will want seconds of these healthy shrimp burgers!
Love shrimp burgers? Also, try my Shrimp Burgers with Mango Avocado Salsa.
Cajun Shrimp Burger Recipe
This unexpected Cajun Shrimp Burger recipe is nothing short of dreamy. This restaurant-quality burger is one your guests might not have heard of, BUT I promise they will jump on the shrimp burger bandwagon when they bite into these tender and sweet burgers. It's light, healthy, and completely out of the ordinary.
Plus, this healthy dinner actually comes together in no time! You can assemble the shrimp patties in around 10 minutes and they cook in less than 10 too. This is a delightful way to serve and enjoy shrimp not only in the summer but year-round.
What is a shrimp burger made of?
If you aren't familiar with a shrimp burger, it's basically a burger made of ground shrimp instead of beef. My version is a true flavor explosion with a surprising mix of chopped shrimp, flavorful bell peppers, lemon juice, old bay seasoning, garlic, and shallot. Plus some panko and egg to bind it together like a real burger. It's all topped with a simple Greek Yogurt Cajun Sauce made with Homemade Cajun Seasoning that's sure to have everyone asking how you made this.
These are like Trader Joe's shrimp burgers... but better!
The Inspiration Behind The Shrimp Burger...
As a pescatarian, I've been making shrimp burgers for YEARS. In fact, my Shrimp Burger with Mango Avocado Salsa was one of my first recipes on Running in a Skirt. I have been turning beef burger lovers into shrimp burger lovers for longer than I can remember. Just call me a shrimp burger EXPERT.
This particular twist on a shrimp burger is still very different than my original recipe. This version has a big cajun spice in both the burger and replacing the fruit salsa on top with a creamy Greek Yogurt Cajun Sauce. The recipe is inspired by my favorite island, Hilton Head, and one of my favorite restaurants on the island Redfish restaurant.
They are famous for their Cajun Lobster and Shrimp Burger. It jumps off the plate and into my mouth, amazing. I decided to make a more budget-friendly version of their burger with just shrimp and that's how this Cajun Shrimp Burger was born. I do have to say, I think I got it pretty close!
Why you’ll love my Cajun Shrimp Burger recipe…
- This Cajun Shrimp Burger is a fun way to bring vacation home! My version of this burger is easier and more economical with just shrimp instead of including lobster.
- It's flavored with old bay seasoning, lemon, and smoked paprika. Total flavor bomb!
- These burgers are so simple and are loaded with real shrimp. They are held together with minced shrimp and they use just a little binder.
- The serving sauce is a healthified cajun greek yogurt sauce that is dreamy.
- They are healthy and good for you.
- This is a restaurant-quality meal you can make in less than 30 minutes.
- This recipe is so unique and unexpected. If you are tired of eating the same old burgers, give this a try! I promise you'll love it.
Here's an overview of what you'll need to make Cajun Shrimp Burgers, but keep scrolling for the full recipe amounts.
For the Shrimp Patties:
- Raw shrimp: Use raw peeled and deviled shrimp for the burgers. This is a great use for frozen shrimp. Just make sure that they are completely thawed and patted dry. You can also use small to medium shrimp for the recipe since they are getting chopped up anyway, no need to splurge on the larger ones.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: Panko breadcrumbs act as a binder and gives the shrimp burgers a nice texture. They are lighter than traditional breadcrumbs and bring a nice flavor to the burger.
- Lemon: Lemon juice adds a little extra flavor to the burgers and balances out the seafood flavor.
- Minced garlic: Garlic brings out the savory flavors in this and gives it more of a burger taste. If you don't have minced garlic, you can also use garlic powder.
- Shallot: Shallots have a natural richness that enhances the burgers. If you don't have a shallot you can use a quarter of a small sweet onion or even scallions.
- Red bell pepper: Bell pepper adds a sweet flavor and nice texture plus some color to the burgers. They make the entire dish more vibrant.
- Old bay seasoning: A unique blend of spices that perfectly compliments seafood dishes, like these shrimp burgers. If you can't find it in the store, buy it here. It's the perfect compliment to shrimp.
- Paprika: Adds nice color and flavor and some of the cajun flavoring.
- Fresh parsley: Helps brighten and balance the flavor plus brings a bright green color to the shrimp burger. You could also use cilantro.
- Salt and black pepper: Brings out the flavors in the food. Use kosher salt and black pepper.
- Egg: A large egg acts as a binding agent to keep the burgers from falling apart.
- Olive Oil: You'll need a bit of olive oil to cook the shrimp burgers in the pan. You can also use butter to fry them in if you prefer.
For the Greek Yogurt Cajun Sauce:
- Greek Yogurt: Plain greek yogurt is the perfect base for this sauce for the shrimp burgers. Use full fat or low fat depending on your dietary preferences. I use low-fat, and it tastes great. You can also substitute mayonnaise, mayo, or sour cream if you prefer.
- Lemon: Lemon brings out the flavor in the sauce.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard gives the sauce more body and a spicy kick.
- Ketchup: A touch of ketchup brings a tomato flavor and red color.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Worcestershire sauce is a magical flavor blend that adds so much depth to the sauce.
- Horseradish: I like to add a natural kick and spice with some horseradish. Horseradish also compliments seafood.
- Cajun Seasoning: Use your favorite cajun seasoning or make my Homemade Cajun Seasoning which is a blend of smoked paprika, sweet paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, and cayenne. Or this is my favorite storebought.
- Salt: Salt to taste. Your cajun seasoning might already have salt in it, so you might not need to add more. If it's salt-free it can still use some salt.
For the Shrimp Burgers:
- Hamburger Buns
- Lettuce Leaves
- Tomato Slices
- Onion Slices
- Optional Toppings: Avocado Slices, Homemade Cole Slaw, or Salsa.
Here's an overview of what you'll need to make Cajun Shrimp Burgers, keep scrolling for the full printable recipe.
For the Shrimp Patties:
- For the burgers, pulse half the shrimp in a food chopper or processor. Cut the remaining shrimp in half or thirds depending on the size of your shrimp. You want to have mainly ground shrimp, but still have some larger bites for looks, texture, and taste.
- Add the raw shrimp, panko, lemon, garlic, shallot, red bell pepper, old bay, paprika, parsley, salt, pepper, and egg into to a medium bowl and mix well.
- With the shrimp mixture, form four burger patties and shape mixture into burgers. Use clean hands in the same way you would beef burgers.
- Add the olive oil to a non-stick skillet or pan. Over medium heat cook the shrimp burgers. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side until they turn pink. Don't overcook them.
- Serve with buns, greens, lettuce leaves, sliced tomato, sliced purple pepper, and a dollop of Greek yogurt Cajun sauce.
For the Greek Yogurt Cajun Sauce:
- Get out all the ingredients for the sauce.
- In a small bowl, mix together the greek yogurt, lemon, dijon mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, and cajun seasoning.
- Check the salt levels and adjust to taste.
To Assemble the Shrimp Burgers:
- Toast your burger buns and top it with lettuce, tomato, and onion.
- Carefully put the shrimp patty on top of the bottom bun
- Top with the greek yogurt cajun sauce.
- Enjoy the shrimp burger!
I love this Cajun Shrimp Burgers recipe as written, but here are some fun ways to mix it up.
- Make it Spicy: Add some extra cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce like sriracha to either the Greek Yogurt Cajun Sauce or the shrimp burgers.
- Make it Gluten Free: Use gluten-free bread crumbs and buns.
- Make it Low Carb: Serve it in a lettuce wrap instead of a bun.
- Make it Dairy-Free: Use a dairy-free yogurt instead of greek yogurt.
- Bake Them: Put the shrimp patties on a sheet pan and put them in the oven at 425 degrees for 6-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Grill Them: You can also cook the shrimp burgers on the grill! They will cook for around 6-10 minutes. They are done when the shrimp turns opaque.
Storage & Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These are enjoyed best fresh, but you can reheat them on either the stovetop or microwave. They are surprisingly still tasty leftovers.
You can freeze shrimp burgers! Again they are best fresh but you can freeze them either before or after cooking in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Can I make the patties ahead of time?
Yes! You can assemble the entire shrimp burger patty ahead of time up to 24 hours before cooking. After assembling them, put them on a baking sheet and cover them with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to cook. They will take a few minutes longer to cook straight out of the fridge though.
This Cajun Shrimp Burger Recipe is AMAZING!
This Cajun Shrimp Burger recipe is nothing short of amazing. If you've heard of shrimp burgers before but haven't been so sure about the idea, I PROMISE it's worth the effort. This surprisingly tasty burger is a nice change of pace from a beef burger and is perfect for your next healthy dinner, potluck, or cookout.
Let me know what you think once you jump on the shrimp burger train with me!
Make it a Meal:
- Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt
- Cucumber Watermelon Strawberry Salad
- Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad with Dill
- Healthy Kale Caesar Salad
- Smoky and Sweet Vegetarian Crock Pot Baked Beans
More Interesting Burger Recipes to Try:
- Shrimp Burgers with Mango Avocado Salsa
- Healthy Crab Cake Sandwich
- Southwest Black Bean Burgers
- Buffalo Chickpea Burger with Blue Cheese Slaw
- The Best Portobello Mushroom Burger
More Shrimp Recipes to Try:
- Healthy Grilled Shrimp in Foil
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Goat Cheese and Shrimp Quesadilla
- Buffalo Shrimp Skewers
- Oven Baked Coconut Shrimp with Pina Colada Dipping Sauce
- Shrimp Pineapple Kabobs
- Honey Lime Shrimp Skewers
If you make this Cajun Shrimp Burger recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Leave a comment and a star rating ★ below. Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!
Cajun Shrimp Burger
For the Shrimp Burgers:
- 1 pound raw shrimp, small or medium, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup panko
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Greek Yogurt Cajun Sauce
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 ½ teaspoons cajun seasoning
- salt, to taste
For the Shrimp Burgers:
- For the burgers, put half the shrimp in a food chopper or processor. Blend until pulvized. Cut the other half of the shrimp in half or third, depending on whether you have the small or medium ones.
- Put all the shrimp mixture, panko, lemon, minced garlic, red bell pepper, old bay seasoning, paprika, parsley, salt, pepper, and egg in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form four srhimp burger patties with clean hands.
- Add the olive oil to a non-stick skillet. Over medium heat cook the shrimp burgers 3-5 minutes each side, just until they firm up and turn pink. Do not overcook!
For the Cajun Greek Yogurt Sauce:
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce. Put it in fridge and allow the flavors to blend. This can be made ahead of time.
To Assemble the Shrimp Burgers:
- Serve with the buns, greens, sliced tomato, sliced purple pepper and dollop of the Greek yogurt Cajun sauce.
Storage & LeftoversStore any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These are enjoyed best fresh, but you can reheat them on either the stovetop or microwave. They are surprisingly still tasty leftovers.
FreezingYou can freeze shrimp burgers! Again they are best fresh but you can freeze them either before or after cooking in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Can I make the patties ahead of time?Yes! You can assemble the entire shrimp burger patty ahead of time up to 24 hours before cooking. After assembling them, put them on a baking sheet and cover them with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to cook. They will take a few minutes longer to cook straight out of the fridge though.
Like this recipe? Pin it for later!
Could these be prepared ahead of time and then frozen before cooking to use later?
Yes! That would work. You could also cook them and freeze the patties.
This recipe is SUCH a great idea! I never would have thought to put together a recipe lie this! Even better when you've created a recipe to take you back to your favorite foods!
Ruth Malick says
I made these last night and they were a hit with my husband and I. I didn’t put them on a roll but served them on the plate like a crab cake...only better! I put some fresh veggies on the side-carrots, celery cucumber and cherry tomatoes which were also good in the dip. Thanks for this awesome idea!
Hi Ruth! Yay- I'm so glad you liked them! They are a family favorite of ours too. Thanks for coming back and leaving a review.
Can these be put on the grill?
Yes! I'd cook them over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side. Since grill temps can vary, I'd check to make sure they are done. The shrimp in the middle will turn pink when cooked.
Deborah Brooks says
I am sure that my boys would love this idea. A great way to mix up the BBQ meals this summer
I haven't had a burger in a good while, so I've been craving em'! This looks really good!
Chef Devaux says
This shrimp burger is heavenly. What a great idea. And the flavours are so delicious.
Thanks Chef! It's a good one! I know you'll like it!
These shrimp burgers look so good. I love shrimp and burgers so this is a match made in heaven for me.
Thanks! These are one of my favorite things I've made lately! I hope you give them a shot!
YUMMY! I bet these taste as tropical as they look!!! Thanks so much for linking up 🙂
Yes! They feel like vacation!
Onica (MommyFactor) says
This looks like a taaty recipe. Id have to try it with something else since I cant have shrimp.
Aw bummer! The flavors in the greek yogurt sauce would work great with anything!
Beverley @ sweaty&fit says
these look so good! I love the take on shrimp burgers, over salmon and tuna (mainly because i think shrimp is DA BEST). and yes i alwaysss research restaurants before i go and decide ahead of time what im going to get (and then end up waiting for everyone else to decide which is a pain hahah)
haha! I totally know what you mean! Sometimes I pretend to look again-- but I already know 🙂 My hubby sits down and asked what we are getting... because he is often sweet enough to let me pick my two favorites and share 🙂
You'll love these shrimp burgers!
Jess @hellotofit says
Oh, this looks FANTASTIC! I've never had shrimp burgers, but love any kind of seafood patty 🙂 thanks for linkin up!
Thanks Jess! It's a good one!
Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes says
I love shrimp burgers. I make them a lot in the summer! That yogurt sauce looks like a great addition. Definitely pinning!
The sauce really amps them up! I'm a big fan! Might make them again this weekend.
Annemarie LeBlanc says
This is going to be a hit in our home! I've heard of portobello mushroom burgers before, but this is the first time I've come across a shrimp burger. Thank you for sharing!
It's soooo tasty! Thanks Annemarie!
The shrimp burger looks so tasty! I love shrimp burgers, but I've never tried making it on my own. I am saving your recipe for later.
Thanks! It's really pretty easy-- just a few extra steps. I hope you enjoy!
Liz Mays says
Oh I'm loving this idea. They seem to have the perfect amount of spice. I know my daughter would be pretty pumped to try them out.
yes-- they have a little kick- but are not hot! Great to see you today!
Yum. I'm not a seafood fan, but this? Looks AMAZING. My husband would be super thrilled if I made these!
My hubby adores them!!!
Dani @ Dani California Cooks says
Shrimp burgers! What an awesome idea! And I love eating my way through a country too. I really think that the best way to learn about the culture, history and "feel" for a place is through its cuisine!
Me too! And it makes my belly happy :-)))
This sounds so tasty. I never made a shrimp burger. However, there is alot of ingredients in It. I bet that sauce is a great compliment to the burger. Yum!
It is a few ingredients-- but it is worth it-- I promise!!! The sauce is amazing and it's all stuff I had in my pantry... so I imagine you'd have a lot of it too.
Carole from Carole's Chatter says
Julie, this is a great burger. I hope you'll add it to the Food on Friday collection over at Carole's Chatter
Hi Carole! I'll do that right now!
I am so jealous of all your traveling adventures this year! We haven't done too much since Matilda was born and I miss it! These shrimp burgers look delicious!
You'll be back at it one day! And then you get to see Disney though the eyes of a kid 🙂
Runaway Bridal Planner says
These look pretty good. I hate to admit it, I am not a seafood lover.
But I will say, the picture of the beach has me wishing I could take a vacation to the sand and waves right now:)
Me too! Take me to the beach 365!
Susanna @zealousmom.com says
Oh my! These look so very scrumptious. I even think my husband would eat them. Stunning photos by the way!
Thank you!!! I worked hard on them, so I appreciate that!
Mary Jean Henson says
Love Redfish! We try to dine there whenever we are at Hilton Head.
Can't wait to try this recipe. It sounds yummy!
It's such a nice place! I'm a big fan!
valmg @ From Val's Kitchen says
I have never heard of a shrimp burger before. Hubby loves shrimp, I bet he'd be interested in this!
Totally! It's a little out of the box-- but tastes amazing!
Susie @ SuzLyfe says
How about you just make a nice little arc and pick me up on your way to the Bahamas again?
We'd have soooo much fun 🙂
Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says
What a treat for seafood lovers. I bet anyone who likes shrimp would love those.
Thanks Robin!! It is! Great to see you today!
Libby Haire says
I will admit that I have never eaten a Shrimp burger. I have had salmon ones though.
This looks good. I hope to be able to try it out soon.
You should try it!!! It's a couple of extra steps... but soooo tasty!!!!!
Blane Sherer says
I know I have made this comment before but one of the things that I think
is neat about eating meals that you had when you were on a trip
is that it really reminds you of the trip. I would think that if anyone could
appreciate that it would be you ( smile ).
Thanks Blane! I always enjoy recreating the fun!
Good morning Julie 🙂 that shrimp burger looks great , I'll have 3 of those , please. 🙂 btw , if you're ever out toward Robinsville , NC , you should check out 'Lynn's Place' , a restaurant on main street. go hungry , 'cause you'll want to just eat and eat , it's really good homecooking..
Haha! They are pretty awesome! The hubs has already asked me to make them again 🙂 If I'm in Robinsville, I'll look that up- yummy!