This flavor-packed Cajun Shrimp Burger is inspired by Red Fish on Hilton Head Island. It’s tender, tasty and so easy to make – the perfect addition to a barbecue or summer meal. Everyone will want seconds of these healthy shrimp burgers!
Good morning friends!
I have an incredible foodie find for you today… my Cajun Shrimp Burger recipe!
The inspiration behind the burger
But first I want to share a little of the inspiration behind the meal…
You guys know how much I love to travel. Exploring new places is one of the great joys of my life and I often pick travel over new things. I’ve put several new pins on my world map this year: Antigua, Brazil, Argentina, and Hope Town Bahamas.
And while I’ve enjoyed so much about each of the trips, some of my best memories involve food.
Eating fresh-caught fish sitting on the sand in Antigua.
Indulging in homemade acai and granola sitting on Copacabana Beach in Rio… followed by enjoying the most delicious shrimp plate you’ve ever seen in Paraty.
Munching on veggie stuffed empanadas standing in front of the iconic Iguazu Falls.
Savoring conch chowder and Caribbean lobster watching the sun fall into the sea on a tiny, quiet island in the Bahamas.
It’s safe to say I like to eat my way through a country.
One of the reasons I get such great food on trips is I do research and planning ahead of time! You know my Type A personality is not rolling into a new city without a plan and some reservations! I always explore my options before a trip on TripAdvisor. With more than 250 million reviews and opinions from travelers around the world, I know I can find and plan to eat at the best places in town. I can even make reservations directly from TripAdvisor’s site!
I often look for and trust TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice award-winning restaurants for my picks. The awards are given to the absolute best restaurants in any city and I’ve learned to trust the symbol. This year’s choices have just been released.
So…. back to that Cajun Shrimp Burger recipe…
This tender, sweet shrimp burger is actually inspired by one of my favorite places to vacation. I love exploring exotic, new places, but I also find comfort in visiting old favorites like Hilton Head Island.
The wide expansive beaches are gorgeous and I try to get there at least once a summer, even if it’s just for a weekend. Because it is familiar already, it’s an excuse to actually use my beach chair and relax.
They are famous for their Cajun Lobster and Shrimp Burger. It jumps off the plate and into my mouth, amazing. You might remember this picture from earlier this summer…
So in honor of finding such amazing restaurants on TripAdvisor, I set out to create my own version of this healthy shrimp burger!
Why you’ll love my Cajun Shrimp Burger recipe…
- To make it easier and more economical, I decided to make my version with just shrimp (instead of including lobster).
- They are flavored with old bay seasoning, lemon, and smoked paprika.
- These burgers are so simple. They are held together with minced shrimp and they use very little binder.
- The serving sauce is a healthified cajun greek yogurt sauce. It is to die for.
Cajun Shrimp Burger Ingredients
- Raw shrimp: Use raw shrimp for the burgers.
- Panko: Panko makes the shrimp go farther so you are able to make burgers.
- Lemon: Adds a little extra flavor.
- Minced garlic: Garlic helps to keep things interesting.
- Shallot: Shallots have a natural richness that enhances the burgers.
- Red bell pepper: Adds a sweet flavor and nice texture.
- Old bay seasoning: A unique blend of spices that perfectly compliments seafood dishes, like these shrimp burgers.
- Paprika: Adds nice color and flavor.
- Fresh parsley: Helps brighten and balance the flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Brings out the flavors in the food.
- Egg: Acts as a binding agent to keep the burgers from falling apart.
How do you make Cajun Shrimp Burgers?
For the burgers, pulse half the shrimp in a food chopper or processor. Cut the other half of the shrimp in half or thirds.
Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
Form four burger patties with clean hands.
Add the olive oil to a non-stick skillet. Over medium heat cook the shrimp burgers.
Serve with buns, greens, sliced tomato, sliced purple pepper, and a dollop of Greek yogurt Cajun sauce.
The finished product has me dreaming of beaches, sunsets, and endless vacation food.
I encourage you to share your meals when you travel with the hashtag, #TraveltoTaste!
Want more shrimp burgers? Try my Shrimp Burgers with Mango Avocado Salsa!
Serve these sides with your shrimp burger!
- Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt
- Cucumber Watermelon Strawberry Salad
- Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad with Dill
- Healthy Kale Caesar Salad
- Smoky and Sweet Vegetarian Crock Pot Baked Beans
Cajun Shrimp Burger
- 1 pound raw shrimp, small or medium, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup panko
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Greek Yogurt Cajun Sauce
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, less if you don't like spice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce. Put it in fridge and allow the flavors to blend. This can be made ahead of time.
- For the burgers, put half the shrimp in a food chopper or processor. Blend until pulvized. Cut the other half of the shrimp in half or third, depending on whether you have the small or medium ones.
- Put all the ingredients for the shrimp burgers, except for the olive oil, in a bowl and mix well.
- Form four burger patties with clean hands.
- Add the olive oil to a non-stick skillet. Over medium heat cook the shrimp burgers 3-5 minutes each side, just until they firm up and turn pink. Do not overcook!
- Serve with the buns, greens, sliced tomato, sliced purple pepper and dollop of the Greek yogurt Cajun sauce.
This post is sponsored by TripAdvisor. As always all opinions are my own and I only write about things I use and enjoy. I appreciate your support of Running in a Skirt!
Like this recipe? Pin it for later!