Shrimp, goat cheese and poblano peppers all come together for one fierce and tasty shrimp quesadilla recipe that I know you will love!
Can you believe that my garden still looks like this? I lost my mammoth zucchini plant and cucumbers in August, but my peppers are still going strong. Send me pepper recipes, please!
I have sweet banana, hot banana, jalapenos, poblano, baby bells and huge purple bell peppers. All season though, my favorite has been the perfect poblano. They are an ideal substitute for green bell peppers because they have so much more flavor. They really bring up the wow factor to my shrimp quesadilla recipe!
This shrimp quesadilla recipe starts with softening the poblano and onions in a pan.
I then add the shrimp and seasoning and finish with a healthy squirt of lime.
Then cook the quesadilla with regular cheese AND goat cheese.
Because two cheeses are better than one.
Each quesadilla makes four stackable wedges.
Served with plain greek yogurt and your favorite salsa, this meal takes quesadillas to a whole new level.
Shrimp Quesadilla Recipe
- 8 8 inch tortillas
- 2 teaspoons butter or light butter
- 1 pablono pepper, chopped (can also use bell pepper)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (If using larger shrimp, cut into pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, Careful! This is hot!
- Juice from 1 lime
- 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Spread a small amount of butter on one side of each tortillas. Set to the side.
- In a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat, cook the pepper and onion in the olive oil. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the shrimp, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and chipotle chili powder to the pan. Cook over medium heat for another 3 minutes or until shrimp just start to turn pink.
- Heat a second large sauté pan warmed to medium heat, place one tortilla butter side down on the heat.
- Sprinkle about an eighth of the Mexican cheese on the tortilla. Add a quarter of the shrimp mixture on the top of the cheese. Crumble a quarter of the goat cheese on top of that and finish with another eighth of the Mexican cheese. Cover the entire things with another tortilla, butter side up.
- Cook tortilla for 3-5 minutes or until just starting to get brown. Carefully press the corners down so the melting cheese will seal the quesadilla.
- Flip the quesadilla and finish cooking another 3-5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve with plain greek yogurt or sour cream and your favorite salsa.
Is there anything left growing in your garden?
Favorite cheese? go!