Healthy Coleslaw is a perfect lightened up-twist on classic southern slaw. Featuring greek yogurt and honey instead of mayo and white sugar, this no mayo slaw will have everyone asking for seconds. Serve this at any summer cookout or party!
I don't normally pick coleslaw as a side dish out because I'm not a huge fan of big mayo-based salads. It's easy to pass over it. Not anymore though! My Healthy Coleslaw is not only mayo-free but it's also packed with an extra punch of veggies. The delightful greek yogurt-based dressing is still reminiscent of classic Southern slaw but with a lighter touch. I even think my Grandma would be proud.
Coleslaw might seem like a humble choice of a side dish to serve, but mine is taken to the next level with colorful veggies including sliced green onions and fresh parsley! It makes the flavors really pop and for this little cole slaw to find a place in the spotlight.
This Healthy Coleslaw comes together in less than 10 minutes and in just one bowl thanks to bagged slaw and pre-shredded carrots. It's super simple to make and will be a hit at any of your summer cookouts. Just let all the mayo haters know that this one is a bit different! They will love the taste and the lower-calorie treat.Healthy Coleslaw - no mayo with greek yogurt! Click To Tweet
Is Coleslaw Healthy?
Traditional coleslaw isn't that healthy and it's because of the dressing. A classic southern coleslaw will have lots of regular mayo AND white sugar. KFC coleslaw had 170 calories per serving.
However, this Healthy Coleslaw has only about 60 calories for a big helping!
The best part is that it's packed with nutritious veggies. You might look over cabbage as a healthy "green" BUT it's actually a nutritional powerhouse rich in vitamin C, a good source of fiber. It's also a cruciferous vegetable, which has proven to be good for heart health. Carrots are full of beta carotene, vitamins, and antioxidants.
My dressing is not only lighter in calories but better for you. While mayo doesn't have many health benefits greek yogurt is filled with probiotics and protein.
So this fabulous slaw recipe is not only tasty but really good for you! Move over KFC, there is a new slaw in town.
- Bagged Coleslaw: You can of course shred your own cabbage (directions included below) BUT if you want to keep this a 10 minutes recipe, I'd suggest buying the bag of the pre-shredded slaw at the grocery store. Look for one with both green and purple slaw. Sometimes that bag also includes carrots, that's great too. You'll need a 16 ounce or one-pound bag.
- Shredded Carrots: I like adding some extra shredded carrots to my Healthy Coleslaw to make it more colorful and increase the nutritional value. The easiest way to do this is to buy the already shredded carrots at the store. They should be next to the bagged baby carrots.
- Green Onions: Since my coleslaw dressing is much lighter than the traditional mayo version I like adding some extra green onions to give the slaw more flavor.
- Parsley: Same thing with the parsley! It adds some depth of flavor you might miss from not having the mayo.
For the Healthy Coleslaw Dressing:
- Greek Yogurt: I substitute all the mayo for Greek yogurt. A full-fat greek yogurt will give you a creamier, tastier end result but it can be made with lower-fat options depending on your dietary preferences.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Classic slaw dressing has apple cider vinegar, so I kept it as a familiar flavor.
- Honey: Most slaws have a touch of sweetness from white sugar, but mine has honey!
- Celery Salt: My very Southern Grandmother taught me to make a slaw with celery salt, so this version includes that.
- Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper
To Shred Your Own Veggies:
If you can't find the bagged slaw and shredded carrots, you can easily shred your own. Use either a sharp knife or mandoline to shred the slaw. For the carrots, a spiralizer or box shredder to do the hard work. You can also get a finer texture by putting the veggies in a food processor. Just be careful to not cut them up too small.
Healthy Coleslaw Dressing Recipe:
- The first step to making my Healthy Coleslaw is to make the dressing. I make it at the bottom of the same large bowl I want to mix my slaw in so I only dirty one dish.
- To make the dressing whisk together the greek yogurt, honey, apple cider vinegar, and celery salt. Then add additional salt and ground black pepper to taste.
How to Make Healthy Cole Slaw:
- To finish making the Healthy Cole Slaw I add my bagged coleslaw, carrots, green onion, and parsley in the same bowl.
- Toss until well combined.
- Add any additional salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- You can serve my slaw immediately or allow it to sit in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Healthy Coleslaw Variations & FAQ
- You can make this with bagged broccoli slaw instead of cabbage.
- Shredded radish would be a fun addition.
- Use lemon instead of apple cider vinegar.
- Add dijon mustard to the dressing for some extra zip.
How long does coleslaw keep in the fridge?
You can keep healthy coleslaw in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Since this slaw recipe is made with greek yogurt instead of mayo, I think it tastes best the day it's made. It does start to lose some of its creaminess sitting in the fridge BUT it's still fine to eat.
Can you freeze coleslaw?
I would not freeze coleslaw. The texture would not be the same.
What do I serve with healthy coleslaw?
This healthy coleslaw is a side dish that's perfect for summer and pairs well with so many things! It's great with grilled chicken, shrimp, burgers, or even ribs. It can be used as a topping for tacos or sandwiches. So versatile. Here are just a few recipes it would be delicious with.
- BBQ Shrimp Kabobs
- Three Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
- Shrimp Burgers with Mango Salsa
- Pesto Salmon
- Homemade Black Bean Burgers
- Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Goat Cheese
- Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Cakes
- Buffalo Chickpea Burgers
I LOVE This No Mayo Greek Yogurt Coleslaw!
Whether you serve this with your family dinner, or at a festive occasion like the 4th of July, this Healthy Coleslaw is bound to be a hit. It's light, creamy, and oh so good! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.Healthy Coleslaw - no mayo with greek yogurt! Click To Tweet
More No Mayo Healthy Greek Yogurt Salads to Love:
- Healthy Broccoli Slaw
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Potato Salad
- Healthy Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
- Easy Greek Yogurt Egg Salad
- Greek Yogurt Tuna Salad
- Greek Yogurt Crab Salad
For the slaw:
- In a large bowl whisk together all the ingredients for your coleslaw dressing including the greek yogurt, honey, apple cider vinegar, celery salt, and salt and pepper.
- In the same bowl add the slaw ingredients: bagged slaw, shredded carrots, green onions, and parsley.
- Toss the slaw and dressing together until well combined. Add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately or put in the fridge covered to allow the flavors to combine.
Pin for later...