These Healthy Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are filled with lump crab meat, greek yogurt, cream cheese, lemon and seasoned with Old Bay. They are perfect as an appetizer or a light main course with a salad or side!
Healthy Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
You seriously can't go wrong with this easy recipe. My Healthy Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are filled with perfect lump crab meat, lemon, old bay, and three types of cheese. They are then topped with some extra parmesan and quickly baked to golden perfection.
These mushroom caps taste like a fine gourmet restaurant but without the fuss and without eating out. You'll be shocked at how quickly and easily they come together. This completely crowd-pleasing recipe is one everyone will be asking you to make again. If you are looking for something to make for a fancy dinner at home, including Valentine's Day, this is it!
Plus my version has a healthy swap making these pretty darn guilt-free and a great low carb meal.
Why You'll Love These Crab Stuffed Mushrooms....
If you've had stuffed mushrooms out at a restaurant and have been wondering how to make them at home... this is it! And it's surprisingly simple and easy. This recipe is easy enough for a weekday dinner or fancy enough to serve for a weekend dinner or dinner party.
You can easily make this a main course with a side salad or serve it as a darling appetizer.
The hardest part is the cleaning and prepping the mushrooms, so here are my tips to do it correctly.
How do you clean mushrooms?
Since mushrooms are sponge-like, it is best to NOT submerge them in water to clean them. They will just soak up the water and become mushy when you cook them. To clean the mushrooms you just wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
Next, you remove the stem by just wiggling it with your fingers. It should pop out. Use a large spoon to scoop out the black gills.
Ingredients in the Crab Stuffed Mushrooms:
Here's an overview of what you will need to make the mushrooms. Keep reading the recipe card to find the exact amounts.
- Large Portobello Mushroom Caps: Look for thick and meaty mushrooms that will hold the crab dip.
- Lump Crab Meat: If you can find fresh crab meat at your store, go for it! If not, look for the packaged crab meat near the fresh seafood section of the store. Lump Crab Meat is great for these Healthy Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms because it's filled with flavor and has some larger pieces for presentation. If you are on a budget you could also consider buying the backfin crab meat which is cheaper. The crab is in smaller chunks.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Many stuffed crab mushroom recipes use sour cream but I like the healthy swap of using greek yogurt.
- Cream Cheese: Whipped Cream Cheese is my favorite type for this recipe. I love how it keeps the recipe light.
- Parmesan: A touch of parmesan cheese adds some nutty texture and flavor on top.
- Old Bay: Old Bay seasoning takes your mind straight back to your favorite beachside restaurant. I included it in my recipe because the flavor pair perfectly with the crab meat and mushroom.
- Garlic Powder & Onion Powder: Garlic and onion powder easily brings out the flavors in the crab and cheese mixture.
- Lemon: Lemon brightens and freshens the dish without a lot of fuss.
How Do You Make Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms:
- Carefully clean the mushrooms according to the directions above.
- Stir together the crab mixture of crab meat, cream cheese, greek yogurt, half of the parmesan, old bay, garlic powder, onion powder, and lemon.
- Carefully spoon the crab mixture (shown above) into the cleaned portobello mushrooms and put them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the rest of the parmesan cheese (shown below.)
- Roast until the mushrooms are tender. It should take about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve by garnishing with parsley and a lemon wedge on the side.
How do I serve the mushrooms?
- With a side salad.
- As a main course with green beans and roasted potatoes.
- With Lemon Rosemary Roasted Asparagus
- As an appetizer.
I love this Healthy Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushroom recipe as is, but here are some other fun ways to mix it up.
- You can use this same crab stuffing mixture to fill bite-sized mushrooms for a standing appetizer at a party.
- You could also make this with Monterey jack cheese.
- Add in a handful of fresh chopped spinach for more color and vitamins.
- If you can't find crab meat these would also be delicious with chopped shrimp or lobster meat!
- Add chopped green onions.
- You could also substitute minced onion and garlic for the powder.
Simply the BEST Crab Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
If this is one of those recipes that has seemed too fancy for you to make, give mine a try! These simple and delicious crab stuffed mushrooms are simply best thanks to my old bay and lemon combo!
I promise you will love these Healthy Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms. Give them a try and let me know what you think.
More Healthy Seafood Recipes to Love:
- Healthy Baked Crab Dip
- Buffalo Shrimp Dip
- Shrimp Pineapple Kabobs
- Cajun Shrimp Burgers
- Low Country Boil Style Shrimp Foil Packets
Healthy Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully clean the portobello mushrooms. Remove the stem and use a spoon to scoop out the dark gills. Use a wet paper towel to clean any dirt off the surface.
- In a small bowl mix together the greek yogurt, whipped cream cheese, half of the parmesan, spices and lemon together. Carefully fold in the crab meat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the crab meat into the mushrooms and put them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the mushroom is soft and the parmesan is golden.
Pin for later!