The BEST Cauliflower Potato Salad Recipe is a healthy cauliflower mock potato salad made with cauliflower instead of potatoes. I also swapped out traditional mayonnaise for Greek Yogurt making this Low Carb Potato Salad vitamin-packed, keto-friendly and vegetarian. Plus its only 6 ingredients!
Cauliflower Potato Salad
Cookout season is here in the mountains! I love spending love evenings outside eating good food and enjoying the daylight that lingers long into the evening. From the veggie-packed salad to traditional cookout fare... summer food is the best. My Cauliflower Potato Salad recipe is at the top of the list of recipes on repeat all season long.
If you are looking for a healthy barbecue side dish with an unusual twist... this is it. My Low Carb Potato Salad makes some surprising swaps to make it super healthy AND irresistibly tasty.
The Best Cauliflower Potato Salad recipe
What says cookout more than potato salad!? It's probably no big surprise that I'm not a huge fan of the traditional mayo covered kind, but I do love all the other flavors in it. You can't wrong with the combination of creamy eggs, mustard, and relish! Plus this entire recipe is made with only six ingredients.
So I set out to make a healthier version for the season and along came THE BEST Cauliflower Potato Salad recipe. This Low Carb Potato Salad is made with cauliflower not only tastes amazing but is low-carb, low-calorie, and nutrient-packed.
Low Carb Potato Salad
Now, to be completely honest with you I personally have nothing against eating carbs. I don't follow a low carb or keto diet (I am a pescatarian!) and I love potatoes of all kinds. BUT I know many of you avoid carbs (hello... Pops!) or eat keto. If that works well for your diet this is a great Low Carb Potato Salad for you. I'm a firm believer in finding what works for your body and finding balance.
Even if you don't follow any diets this is still a super tasty summer side dish that's packed with vitamins from the cauliflower and probiotics from the greek yogurt! It is much healthier than a traditional potato salad. An entire serving of this salad is only 50 calories!
Is Cauliflower Healthy?
But even though I don't actually follow low-carb I really appreciate this Cauliflower Potato Salad recipe because cauliflower is such a hidden superfood! Did you know it is packed with vitamin C? It also has vitamin K, folate, and vitamin B6 among others.
I was surprised to learn that because the cauliflower is white! Since it's not part of the "rainbow" I never really thought of it having all those nutrients. But it does! The egg and greek yogurt in this also add some protein, which is great for a vegetarian diet.
Ingredients in Low Carb Potato Salad
This Mock Low Carb Potato Salad is made with just SIX ingredients.
- Cauliflower: This Low Carb Potato Salad recipe calls for an entire head of cauliflower! If you happen to have the type already chopped up in the bag, you will need about 6 cups of florets.
- Hard-Boiled Egg Whites: The eggs give this side dish substance and make it seem like more of a traditional potato salad.
- Celery: Celery adds a great crunch to the salad. Chop it into small peices.
- Greek Yogurt: I use Greek Yogurt instead of mayonnaise to get that creamy flavor without actually using mayo. If you like mayo, you can swap it out!
- Pickle Relish: My Grandmother's potato salad had pickle relish so I added it to mine!
- Spices: Celery Salt, Salt & Pepper. Celery Salt is another secret ingredient that gives this dish the feeling of real potato salad.
You can garnish your potato salad with extra celery salt and green onions.
How do you make Cauliflower Potato Salad?
- Cut your cauliflower into small florets or bites similar to the size of potatoes in potato salad.
- Steam the cauliflower in a vegetable steamer over boiling water for 5-7 minutes. You want it tender but not soggy. Allow the cauliflower to cool.
- Once cooled mix the greek yogurt, hard-boiled egg whites, celery, greek yogurt, pickle relish and spices. Adjust to taste.
- Serve room temperature or chilled. I think this Cauliflower Potato Salad is best after it's chilled in the fridge AND the flavors have a chance to work together.
- Cut the cauliflower in equal size pieces.
- You want the cauliflower to still have a bit of bite in it but be tender.
- If you like mustard, add double or triple!
- You can also steam your cauliflower in the microwave by putting it in a microwave-safe bowl with one cup of water. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes until the cauliflower is fork-tender.
What do I serve with Cauliflower Potato Salad?
This Cauliflower Potato Salad takes like traditional potato salad so it goes great with any of your favorite cookout dishes. Here are a few of mine:
- BBQ Shrimp Skewers
- Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Southwest Black Bean Burger
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Goat Cheese
- Healthy Salmon with Creamy Yogurt Dill Sauce
Step aside traditional potato salad, a new star of summer is in town! I hope you enjoy making my Potato Salad made with cauliflower as much as I do.
The Best Cauliflower Potato Salad recipe
- 1 head cauliflower, about 6 cups of florets
- 4 hard boiled egg whites, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, about ½ cup, diced
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional garnish: sliced green onions!
- Cut the cauliflower into small bite sized florets. Steam it 5-7 minutes until it is tender but not soggy. A little bit of a bite is good!
- Allow the cauliflower to cool.
- Once cool mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the green onions.
- Store in the fridge.