Sweet spinach salad layered with fruit and goat cheese is topped with my Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing recipe. This is one of my favorite flavor combinations!
Good morning friends!
I love Poppy Seed dressing, but the kind that comes in a bottle is often full of sugar and preservatives. After going through bottle and bottle of the stuff from the store, I set out to make a homemade poppy seed dressing dressing recipe that is a little healthier.
I tried several things to “healthify” this poppy seed dressing recipe including subbing stevia for sugar and adding greek yogurt to make it creamy.
I had every bowl in my kitchen out and dirty. It has been a long time since I failed so badly at a recipe. I kept at it though and eventually found the sweet spot.
I finally created a delicious recipe that cuts down on the sugar but does not eliminate it.
My version is lightly sweetened with real sugar and full flavored with onion, dried mustard and paprika.
Sometimes you just need a little sugar. Lesson learned.
Drizzle this homemade poppy seed dressing over a spinach salad with all the goodies and you will never buy a bottle again!
I know I will be enjoying this classic summer salad year-round.
And by the way, 39 days until spring. Not that I’m counting or anything. 🙂
- 4 tablespoons olive oil mild, not extra virgin
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Combine all ingredients except poppy seeds into bowl and whisk together.
- Add poppy seeds and stir.
- Refrigerate for several hours to overnight before serving.
I used a mini food processor to cut up the onion.
- 6 cups packed spinach
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup orange segments
- 4 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 1 recipe of homemade poppy seed dressing
- optional: 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- Toss spinach and dressing together.
- Assemble salad by layering the fruit, cheese and spinach.
- Sprinkle nuts on top.
I’ll see you tomorrow for some midweek fitness tips! I’ve got some ideas to totally rock the Disney Princess Half Marathon. Even if you aren’t running the race this year, it might convince you to sign up next year.
What is your favorite dressing?
Fruit on salads- yay or nay?