Potato salad doesn’t have to be a heavy, fattening side dish. This Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt is a lighter version of the salad that you love, without all of the calories.
Since it’s the day before the 4th of July, I thought I’d share one of my all-time favorite grilling side dishes. I love keeping food simple in the summer, focusing on fresh, high-quality ingredients and this light potato salad recipe does just that. Don’t worry if you normally don’t like potato salad… this one is different.
Why you’ll love this Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt
This Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt is so good and it uses NO MAYO like most potato salads. It’s packed with dill, lemon and has just a hint of grainy mustard to bring out the flavor without all the fuss. It’s a dish you can actually FEEL GOOD about eating.
This lighter take on potato salad is totally addictive and should be added to your summer menu rotation ASAP.
Potato salad is such a staple at cookouts, but I honestly avoid it. It’s usually been sitting out for a while, from a package, and honestly, it’s not that tasty. Not my version though. This Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt uses simple fresh ingredients that allow the potatoes to shine… not cover them up.
The creamy Greek yogurt is healthy, low in fat and high in protein… way better than mayo. It makes one unforgettable potato salad. Trust me!
Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt Ingredients
To make this Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt recipe you will need:
- Golden potatoes: This potato is creamier and holds up better than russets when used in a potato salad.
- Greek yogurt: A much healthy alternative to the main ingredient in potato salads: mayo.
- Fresh dill: Dill has a delicate flavor that works really well in salads, plus it makes a beautiful garnish.
- Grainy mustard: The salad would lack flavor and texture if it wasn’t for grainy mustard.
- Lemon: Adds a bright and tangy taste to the salad.
- Onion powder: It disburses easily throughout the salad to provide all over onion flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Helps to bring out the flavors in the salad.
How do you make Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt?
- Cut the potatoes.
- Steam the potatoes <— steaming them keeps more nutrients than boiling!
- Mix the potatoes with the rest of the ingredients
- Chill and serve!
This recipe would be perfect for a weekday dinner or any summer cookout. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Tips for making the salad
- I make my healthy potato salad with golden baby potatoes. If you can’t find these, it will also work with baby red potatoes. I love the smooth consistency of the golden cuties though.
- The most tedious part of the whole recipe is cutting the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes, but even that doesn’t take that long.
- After that, you steam the potatoes in a basket. I steam mine instead of boiling them so they retain more nutrients.
- Once the potatoes are cool, you toss with greek yogurt, dill, and mustard. I brighten the flavor with lemon and a touch of onion powder. This combo packs a flavor punch without a bunch of mayo.
Favorite cookout side dish- GO!
More Healthy Recipes with Greek Yogurt…
- Cauliflower “Potato” Salad
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad
- Greek Yogurt Tuna Salad
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt
- 1 1/2 pounds golden potatoes, cut in 1/2 cubes
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- dill, garnish
- Steam chopped potatoes on the stove for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Don't overcook.
- Cool potatoes.
- Stir together the Greek yogurt, grainy mustard, lemon, onion powder and cooked potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully fold in the dill.
- Serve room temperature or chilled. Garnish with additional dill.