This Zucchini on the Grill in Foil is the absolute best 4 ingredient, 20-minute summer side dish! With tender zucchini, parmesan, garlic, Italian Seasoning, and olive oil this grilled zucchini in foil packets is healthy, light, and has virtually no clean-up.
Zucchini on the Grill in Foil
You've got to love some zucchini on the grill in foil. Between the fast assembly and easy clean up, this recipe is one you'll make on repeat all summer long. Not to mention the tender garden fresh zucchini mixed with parmesan and Italian Seasoning tastes downright amazing.
With fresh zucchini rolling in for the season, you are going to need lots of yummy ways to prepare it. This simple recipe is beloved by both kids and adults in my house.
If you've been wondering how to make Parmesan Garlic Grilled Zucchini in Foil Packets... I've got you covered with step by step instructions to make this simple side dish perfectly every time.So delish! Parmesan Garlic Grilled Zucchini in Foil from Running in a Skirt. Click To Tweet
Why You'll Love This Parmesan Zucchini on the Grill in Foil...
- Zucchini on the Grill in Foil comes out tender and delicious every time. It's easy-peasy!
- You can make the zucchini foil packets ahead of time, making it perfect for cookout or busy summer days.
- It's super healthy!
- Kids and adults love it.
- You can customize the recipe and spices to match whatever else you are serving.
- While this recipe was created for the grill, you can also easily put your zucchini foil in the oven.
- No clean-up!
All About Zucchini:
Zucchini is the star of summer gardening! They are plentiful and delicious in summer. The vining plant, also known as a courgette, is in the summer squash family with yellow squash, melons, and cucumbers.
Did you know that zucchini can get huge? Up to 3.2 feet long. Check out the time I grew a 2 foot long zucchini and what I did with it! Most zucchinis are picked when they are under 8 inches though, and that's the best type of zucchini for this grilled zucchini in foil on the grill.
Zucchini is a great vegetable to enjoy because it's low in calories and high in minerals. It's full of vitamin A, manganese, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin A and folate.
How to Chose a Zucchini
Look for a smaller zucchini that's between 6-8 inches and relatively thin. It should feel heavy for its size. The skin should be dark green and free of blemishes.
While I made this recipe with green zucchini, you can also make it with yellow too.
You'll just need a handful of ingredients to make this zucchini on the grill in foil.
- Zucchini: If you have a very small zucchini, you can just cut it into circle slices. If your zucchini is thicker, you might need to cut the circles in half and make half-moons. Just be sure to keep the pieces an even size so they cook at the same time. You can use traditional green zucchini, yellow zucchini, or even a mixture of zucchini and yellow summer squash. You could also add some diced onions.
- Parmesan Cheese: Use grated or shredded parmesan cheese. The nutty cheese flavor gives the zucchini a rich flavor. You can sub other grated or shredded cheeses that you have on hand too.
- Italian Seasoning: I love using a classic Italian Seasoning Mix for my zucchini. Use a store-bought or make your own with my DIY Italian Seasoning Blend. The basil, oregano, and thyme pair perfectly with the recipe. That being said, you can customize the flavors of this dish to match whatever else you are making with the spices. See below for some ideas.
- Garlic Salt: Garlic Salt gives dishes so much yummy garlic flavor and evenly distributes it. If you are sensitive to salt or sodium, feel free to swap it out for garlic powder.
- Olive Oil: Use a nice olive oil like this one for making the zucchini foil packets. If you want to make the recipe richer or more indulgent, use butter instead.
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Tear off four square pieces of foil. Lay them out and spray them with cooking spray.
- Divide the zucchini evenly among the four pieces of foil.
- Drizzle the olive oil on each of the zucchini piles, and sprinkle with the parmesan, Italian Seasoning, garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Carefully toss.
- Arrange the zucchini back into the center of the foil.
- Carefully fold the foil sides of the packet in half and roll the top. Then fold over the edges to make the packet.
- Grill for 20-25 minutes until the zucchini is tender.
- Garnish with extra parmesan and optional chopped fresh herbs like parsley or basil.
How to Cook it in the Oven:
You can also easily make these zucchini foil packets in the oven. Follow the same instructions just preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
Tips for Cooking Zucchini
- Cut your zucchini into even pieces so it cooks evenly.
- Grills can widely vary in temperatures, so you might need to adjust your cooking time up or down. Just check to see if it's tender, that's when it's done.
- When the zucchini is done cooking, open up the packets so the zucchini doesn't keep steam cooking and get mushy.
I love this zucchini on the grill in foil recipe as written, but this recipe is super versatile! Here are some ways to change it up. Substitute these different seasonings for the Italian Seasoning.
- Make it Cajun: Use my Cajun Seasoning and parmesan cheese.
- Make it Mexican: Use my Taco Seasoning Blend, lime, and Mexican Cheese blend.
- Make it Everything: Use my DIY Everything But the Bagel Seasoning and cheddar cheese.
- Make it French: Use my DIY Herbs de Provence and keep the parmesan.
- Make it Blackened: Use my Homemade Blackened Seasoning and parmesan.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes! Part of the joy of this zucchini on the grill in foil is you can assemble the foil packets ahead of time and then have them ready when it's time to grill them. That makes them great for everything from a cookout to a busy weekday dinner.
How do I store leftovers?
Store any leftovers in the foil or an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Zucchini on the Grill in Foil in the Perfect Summer Side Dish
You really can't go wrong with zucchini on the grill in foil! This is the perfect summer side dish because it uses those zucchini that are so plentiful and budget-friendly this time of year. Bonus if you grow them in your garden.
Kids and adults love it because it tastes amazing and who can't resist eating out of a fun foil packet. I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe as much as my family does.
Serve it With:
- Shrimp Pineapple Kabobs
- Honey Lime Shrimp Skewers
- Salmon with Greek Yogurt Dill Sauce
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Portobello Mushroom Steak
- Blackened Mahi Mahi
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
So delish! Parmesan Garlic Grilled Zucchini in Foil from Running in a Skirt. Click To Tweet
More Zucchini Recipes to Try:
- Baked Parmesan Zucchini Fries
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- No Noodle Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna
- Sheet Pan Shrimp and Zoodles (zucchini noodles)
- Tomato Parmesan Zoodles
- Pistachio Pesto Zoodles
More Foil Packet Recipes to Try:
- Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- Foil Packet Fish
- Salmon in Foil with Rainbow Veggies
- Grilled Shrimp in Foil
- Cheesy Foil Packet Potatoes
- Salmon, Asparagus and Tomato in Foil
If you make this Zucchini on the Grill in Foil recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Leave a comment and a star rating ★ below. Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!
Zucchini on the Grill in Foil
- 4 zucchini, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat your grill to high heat or your oven to 425 degrees.
- Tear off 4 square pieces of foil. Lay them out and spray them with cooking spray.
- Divide the zucchini evenly on the four pieces of foil.
- Drizzle the olive oil on top of each zucchini piles. Sprinkle with the parmesan, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Toss gently.
- Carefully fold the packet in half and roll the top. Then fold over the sides and roll them up to create the packet.
- Grill or bake for 20-25 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Garnish with more parmesan and/or fresh chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Pin for later
I love zucchini, this looks like such an easy and low-carb way to make it. Can't wait to try it- thanks for sharing!
Jen @ JENRON DESIGNS says
Love this simple vegetarian side dish that is perfect for summer grilling.
Yumm this looks so good, I love zucchini I make this all the time!
Healthy and delicious! This is really perfect and easy to prepare! The whole family will love this!
Simple, delicious dinner meal idea, Julie! Great for hot summer days, thanks!