Grilled Asparagus in Foil is a healthy and delicious 4 ingredient side dish to enjoy all season long! This simple grilling recipe let's fresh flavors like lemon and garlic shine and can be ready in less than 20 minutes on the grill or in the oven.
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
Grilled Asparagus in Foil is a magical little recipe you will find yourself making again and again. It's the EASIEST way to grill asparagus (without it falling into the grill!) and is simply a fail-proof way to enjoy this classic vegetable.
If you are curious how to grill asparagus in foil, I've got you covered from start to finish with just four simple ingredients.
I love grilling with foil! I've shared Foil Packet Fish, Salmon in Foil with Rainbow Veggies, Grilled Shrimp in Foil, Cheesy Foil Packet Potatoes over the years... but today I'm diving into grilling vegetables in foil! It's such an easy to way to cook and I love that the clean up is minimal.
I simply love that I can prep these packets ahead of time and when it's time for dinner they go on the grill with no fuss. This Grilled Asparagus in Foil is simply one of the BEST ways to make asparagus! It's also vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, low carb, keto, and vegetarian!Grilling season is here! Grilled Asparagus in Foil from Running in a Skirt. Click To Tweet
All About Asparagus
When is asparagus in season?
Wondering when the best time to make grilled asparagus in foil? Asparagus is usually in season from February to June with the peak being in April and May. That's why it is often considered a spring vegetable. That's usually when it will be the cheapest. However, most grocery stores are able to keep it in stock year-round.
Is Asparagus good for you?
YES! This grilled asparagus in foil is good for you because asparagus is so good for you! It's naturally low in calories, but high in fiber. It's also full of other vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K.
Can you cook asparagus on the grill?
YES! Asparagus is great grilled. However since it's so long and skinny you'll often need to put it in something to grill in. That's why grilling asparagus in foil is the perfect option.
How long does it take to grill asparagus?
Asparagus cooks and grills fast! It usually only takes around 10 minutes to cook. There can be some slight variation in that time due the thickness of the asparagus. You don't want to overcook it or it will become mushy.
How do you trim asparagus?
The ends of asparagus are often woody and dense and need to be trimmed off. Find the spot where you should trim them carefully bend once piece of asparagus near the end. It should naturally break or snap at its woody point. You can then use that as guidance on where to cut the rest of your batch with a sharp knife.
Here's what you'll need to make this grilled asparagus in foil.
- Asparagus: You can use either thick or thin asparagus for this recipe! Contrary to popular belief the thick asparagus is sometimes more tender than the thin type. Whichever type is available in the store is fine! If your asparagus is very thick, you may need to add an extra minute or two of cooking time. Look for asparagus stalks that are still vivid green and not limp.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon brings out the flavor of this dish without adding any fat.
- Olive Oil: I like to add just a touch of olive oil to the packets to enhance the flavor and help with the cooking.
- Garlic Salt: You can use fresh garlic, but I like the way garlic salt brings the garlic flavor evenly to the entire side dish. If you are sensitive to salt or sodium, replace this with garlic powder.
- Salt & Pepper
You'll also need a good foil to make these! I like this one.
Here's how to grill asparagus in foil.
- Preheat the grill to high or the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut your lemon in half and slice four thin slices out of the center.
- Tear off four square pieces of foil and spray them with cooking spray.
- Divide the trimmed asparagus evening on the four pieces of foil.
- Drizzle the olive oil and lemon on top. Sprinkle the garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Carefully toss until everything is coated.
- Arrange the asparagus in a nice pile and put a lemon slice on top.
- Carefully fold the foil in half and fold the top. Then roll the edges to secure the packet.
- Bake or grill the asparagus for 10-15 minutes until the asparagus is fork tender. Your cooking time can vary due to the temperature of the grill and the thickness of your asparagus spears.
Can I make this grilled asparagus in foil ahead of time?
YES! I love preparing these packets ahead of time. Store them in the fridge until you are ready to cook them. It's a great way to have a side dish ready to go if you are hosting a cookout.
Can I prepare this in the oven?
YES! Just cook them on a sheet pan at high heat - 425 degrees- for the same amount of time - 10-15 minutes.
How do I store leftovers?
Store any leftover in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
I love this Grilled Asparagus in Foil recipe, as written, but there are so many fun ways to mix it up.
- Add Spices: I intentionally left this grilled asparagus recipe simple BUT feel free to add a yummy spice mix to your packet. A few that would be delicious are Italian Spice Mix, Herbs de Provence, Blackening Seasoning, Cajun Seasoning, and Everything But the Bagel Spice Mix.
- Use Lime: You could give this asparagus more of a southwest flavor with lime instead of lemon. You could also sprinkle on some of my Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix.
- Add Butter: To make it more indulgent, add a small pad of butter to each packet.
- Add Cheese: Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or your favorite cheese.
- Use One Packet: If you don't want to fuss with the individual packets, you can just as easily make this with one large packet. You can also make this for a crowd by doubling the recipe.
This Grilled Asparagus in Foil is the Perfect Side Dish!
This healthy, light and flavorful Grilled Asparagus in Foil is the best side dish because it's so easy to make, and clean up is easy. I love how healthy it is and that you can make the packets ahead of time.
It's also great because you can customize the spices to fit your meal! I know you will be coming back to this recipe again and again all season long.
Serve it With:
- Easy Pesto Salmon
- Three Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Mushroom
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Herb and Garlic Roasted Baby Red Potatoes
- Portobello Mushroom Steak
- Grilled Lemon Shrimp Skewers
- BBQ Shrimp Skewers
- Caprese Pasta Salad
Grilling season is here! Grilled Asparagus in Foil from Running in a Skirt. Click To Tweet
More Asparagus Recipes to Try:
- Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
- Rosemary Lemon Asparagus
- Garlic Parmesan Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Chilled Asparagus Salad with Feta
- Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Feta
- Asparagus Pasta with Tomato and Pine Nuts
- Easy Pesto Tortellini Salad with Asparagus
More Grilled Foil Packet Recipes to Try:
- Foil Packet Fish
- Salmon in Foil with Rainbow Veggies
- Grilled Shrimp in Foil
- Cheesy Foil Packet Potatoes
- Salmon, Asparagus and Tomato in Foil
If you make this Grilled Asparagus in Foil recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Leave a comment and a star rating ★ below. Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- 2 pounds asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat the grill to high or the oven to 425 degrees.
- Tear off 4 square foil pieces and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut your lemon in half and from the center cut four thin round slices of the lemon.
- Divide the asparagus into 4 piles on the foil.
- Drizzle the olive oil on the asparagus and squeeze a few drops of lemon on drop. Sprinkle with the garlic salt, salt and pepper. Carefully toss until everything is coated.
- Put the asparagus in the center of the foil and put a lemon slice on top of each pile.
- Carefully fold the foil and roll the edges together. To finish the packet roll over each of the sides.
- Bake or grill for 10-15 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
Pin for later
Leave a Reply