My Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Cap recipe with three cheeses and spinach is a vegetarian recipe anyone will love!
I pride myself in making vegetarian food that meat eaters will also like. In fact, it’s a daily goal of mine to make sure the Hubs doesn’t feel like he’s missing out at dinner because I don’t cook meat. Aside from the whole I can’t make him love quinoa thing (it seriously breaks my heart,) he’s such a good sport about eating whatever I come up with.
He loves mushrooms, so I decided to experiment portobello mushrooms this summer. My first attempt was a HUGE success. These babies are da BOMB.
I call them —-> Lightened Up Three Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Cap.
And yes, that’s a mouthful. 🙂
One bite in and the Hubs asked if we could have these again next week! So I dare say they were a resounding success.
They look all fancy, but as with most of my dishes are actually pretty easy. You just mix the cheese and fresh spinach (no frozen stuff here!) mixture in a bowl, clean the mushroom caps, stuff and put in the oven. You could also grill these in warmer weather.
I got these ready to go in the oven in less than 10 minutes.
To give them that more authentic spinach cheese dip taste, I added a little fresh parmesan on the top AND a little sprinkle of nutmeg. It’s a subtle addition, but so good.
You can grill them, pop them in the oven OR smoke them if you have a smoker. I highly recommend smoking them if you can!
The lightened up comes from adding lower calorie whipped cream cheese and 2% sharp cheddar. I also packed a good amount of spinach in there. It’s not something to have every night, but once a week I’m game.
And really, you guys know I struggle turning down cheese!
The rich meaty portobello really complements the salty, rich (but not too rich!) cheese to create a dish to remember. Serve with a salad (like my White Bean Salad from Tuesday) or another veggie based side dish for a hearty meal.
I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 large & thick portobello caps
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1/2 cup light whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh spinach finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh shaved Parmesan
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven or grill to 425 or medium high heat.
- Clean mushroom by wiping off with a wet paper towel. Clear out the stems and gills with a spoon. Dry well. Coat with the olive oil and a pinch of the salt and pepper.
- Mix the whipped cream cheese, cheddar, garlic and spinach in the bowl. Add the rest of the salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully fill the portobello caps with the mixture, dividing evenly.
- Top the cap with the Parmesan and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
Like it? I’d love it if you could pin to your favorite Pinterest board!
Thanks for stopping by today! Come back tomorrow for Fashion Friday! I’m showcasing that dress I got in Austin.
What is one dish you always make?
Have you ever stuffed mushrooms before?