Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms live up to their long name! They are the perfect vegetarian main course or side dish.
Did you miss my New Orleans trip recap yesterday? I’ll have part 2 on Monday!
This is a recipe that’s been floating around Running in a Skirt for a while that just needed a little TLC. It makes me sad when some of these oldies don’t get seen as much, because they often some of my favorite recipes. So I fixed the pictures, text, recipe and sharing options to make this a recipe you’ll actually want to try. Because trust me… you do! This would honestly be so festive at a holiday table with the red tomatoes and fresh green spices.
My Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms is a mouthful of a title… but lives up to the hype. The recipe was basically the result of me putting together all of my favorite foodie things in a mushroom cap. Luckily it all worked out, because this creation is a winner!
To make my Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms start with big portobello mushroom caps. The bigger the better… but you want them to be at least 3-4 inches wide.
You break off the stems (you can save these to make pasta later in the week) and dig out the gills with a spoon. You are basically making little bowls for the filling. The next step is whisking together a homemade vinaigrette to season the mushrooms and other veggies.
Before you stuff the mushrooms, you precook them in the broiler to get soft. Once they are done they are ready to be piled high with lots of veggie goodness.
My Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are a perfect vegetarian main course for holiday dinner, party or just a regular ole’ Tuesday night. They can also serve as a brilliant side along other dishes if you’d like.
Serve them with soup or salad to complete the meal.
These little bowls of mushroom perfection is a recipe you’ll be loving for years to come!Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms from Running in a Skirt
- 4 large portobello mushrooms 3-4” wide
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes seeds removed & quartered
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped *
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil chopped *
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- garnish: additional fresh herbs
- Heat oven to Broil
- Remove stems from portobello and scoop out dark brown gills with a spoon.
- Wipe clean the mushrooms.
- Whisk together dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt & pepper
- Using a brush cover the entire portobello 3/4 of the dressing.
- Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes or until slightly soft
- Reduce heat in oven to 375
- Combine tomatoes, roasted red peppers, herbs and remaining dressing in a small bowl.
- Carefully pile the mixture in the mushrooms.
- Dot the goat cheese on top of the tomato and peppers.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and soft.
* You can sub dried herbs but reduce the amount by half.
Like my Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms? I’d love it if you could pin this to your favorite Pinterest board! Thank you so much for the support.
Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms from Running in a Skirt
How often do you eat a meatless meal?