Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms recipe: These vegetarian stuffed mushrooms are filled with tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar to make the perfect vegetarian dinner!
I think mushrooms are a great addition or in this case base for a vegetarian meal... especially if you are serving that plant-based meal to a meat-eater. Mushrooms are rich, chewy, and satisfying. They can give meat-eaters the feeling that they are getting something MORE from those veggies.
I'm always looking to make new mushroom dishes for us to enjoy so I decided to combine two of my food loves... mushrooms and Caprese! The result is this Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms recipe which is delightfully rich and summery at the same time!
Here's my you'll love my Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms recipe...
Some stuffed mushroom recipes are stuffy and take a lot of time to put together but not this one!
My Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms recipe comes together in 20 minutes from start to finish. There is just enough time to whip up a pretty salad or grain to go on the side. You don't even have to precook the mushrooms! The hardest part is cleaning the shrooms and that's not really that hard.
Caprese Stuffed Mushrooms
The Caprese Stuffed Mushrooms are flavored with a touch of olive oil and minced garlic. Then they are topped with the dream team of foodie combos: tomato and fresh mozzarella. After they are broiled to perfection you top them with fresh basil and a perfect drizzle or balsamic glaze.
What you need to make this Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms recipe
- Portobello Mushroom Caps: Look for thick meaty ones!
- Good Olive Oil: I love one with a rich flavor and green color.
- Minced Garlic: You can mince your own or use the type in a jar.
- Fresh Mozzarella: Pearl sized are perfect for this.
- Cherry or Grape Tomatoes: Buy whichever looks fresher.
- Fresh Basil: You have to have some pretty fresh basil for this!
- Balsamic Glaze: A premade balsamic glaze adds so much rich flavor without a lot of fuss.
How to Make this Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms recipe
- Scoop the gills out of the mushroom caps and clean them with a paper towel.
- Stir the garlic in with the olive oil and brush the mixture on the mushrooms.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the fresh mozzarella, halved tomatoes.
- Bake until the mozzarella melts!
- Top with fresh basil and balsamic glaze.
It's that simple!
They are easy enough for a random Wednesday night... but pretty enough for a Saturday night dinner party. Either way, your family is sure to enjoy them!
More caprese recipes...
- Caprese Crustless Quiche
- 4 Ingredient Caprese Pasta Salad
- Caprese Wheatberry Salad
- Avocado Caprese Salad
Pin for later!
Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushroom recipe
- 4 large portobello mushrooms caps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces mini fresh mozzarella balls
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, seeded & sliced
- handful fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. You can also make these on the grill!
- Prep the mushrooms by removing the stem and scooping out the gills with a spoon. Wipe the mushroom off with a wet paper towel and allow to dry again.
- Mix the olive oil and garlic together. Put the mushrooms caps on a baking sheet and brush the caps with the olive oil and garlic mixture.
- Stuff the mushrooms with the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
- Put the mushrooms caps on a plate. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Do you love caprese?
Ever made stuffed mushrooms?
This post does contain affiliate links.