Take your caprese up a notch with Avocado Caprese Salad!
I'm officially in a tomato bender.
My cherry tomato plants are going crazy and I stopped by the Farmer's Market to get a few "big ugly tomatoes" a.k.a. heirloom tomatoes. As much as I have a green thumb, I've never had luck growing big tomatoes (they always seem to get disease before they are done growing) so I buy a few of the good ones each year. I love the funny colored, lumpy heirloom ones that are big enough to have a one slice tomato sandwich.
But I digress, I am easily distracted when it comes to talking about yummy summer produce. Today's salad, Tomato Avocado Caprese brings together all things wonderful about late summer.
The combination of fresh sliced tomato, creamy mozzarella, smooth fresh avocado, fragrant just picked basil and peppery arugula is perfection on a plate.
I toss the arugula with a simple olive oil and top the entire salad with a balsamic glace. It's really one of the those no cook meals that you dream about on a cold February day.
I'm already starting to see apple and pumpkin stuff on my Pinterest and the thought makes me cringe. I adore summer and I definitely haven't had enough of all things summer! So enjoy this goodness while it lasts... there will be months to eat pumpkin but only a short while longer those tomatoes will look and taste this good.
So enjoy August, all the lovely tomatoes and of course this salad!
Avocado Caprese Salad
- 2 plum tomatos, sliced
- 2 medium sized fresh mozzerella balls, sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Optional: squeeze of fresh lemon and additional basil for garnish
- Toss the arugula in the olive oil and squeeze of fresh lemon. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with the fresh mozzarella, avocado and tomato. Drizzle the balsamic glaze.
- Cut the basil in a chiffonade and sprinkle on top.
- Finish with a dash of salt and pepper.
Like it? I’d love it if you could pin this to your favorite Pinterest board! Thank you so much for the support.
Want more salad recipes?
Thanks for stopping by today! Come back tomorrow for Fashion Friday.
Are you ready for fall yet or still loving summer?
What's your favorite kind of tomato?