These Cheesy Ranch Potatoes are coated in a Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix, roasted in the oven to perfection, and THEN topped with melted cheese. Your whole family will love these 4-ingredient roasted potatoes that are a flavorful, delicious, and easy side dish to serve any day of the week.
Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
Sure, you could just make Ranch Potatoes but lets up the side dish game and bring some CHEESY Ranch Potatoes to the dinner table. Your entire family will swoon over these perfectly and richly spiced ranch potatoes that get crispy roasted FIRST and then coated with melted cheddar cheese. This surprisingly simple recipe looks a bit fussy but comes together in less than 30 minutes (with minimal hands-on time) and just four simple, budget-friendly ingredients.
A simple Hidden Valley Ranch (or comparable brand) Ranch Seasoning Packet OR my own Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix, gives the potatoes a rich and complex flavor profile with spices like chives, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, and parsley. It's actually the ideal spice mix to pair with roasted potatoes. If you are vegan, dairy-free, or looking for a lighter dish you could serve the potatoes like that BUT if you want to amp the whole thing up a notch... add the cheese. I picked cheddar, but you can use whatever makes your cheesy heart happy.
This no-fuss, easy potato side dish is one you'll be making again and again.The BEST Cheese RANCH Potatoes - oven roasted! Click To Tweet
Why These Are the Best Cheesy Ranch Potatoes...
- You first roast the Cheesy Ranch Potatoes until they are crispy and then add the cheese. That makes the texture of this recipe special.
- Even with the cheese, this is still a pretty healthy side dish!
- It's super budget-friendly. I photographed the recipe with baby red potatoes but you can use whatever type of potato you have.
- It's the kind of recipe you don't have to beg the family to eat, in fact, I promise they will ask for seconds.
What are ranch potatoes?
Ranch Potatoes are a simple, well-loved side dish with potatoes and ranch seasoning. They make a super easy side dish and dinner hack for anyone in a hurry. Ranch seasoning is actually an ideal flavor or spice mix for potatoes. The taste is incredible. This recipe can make regular Ranch Roasted Potatoes OR Cheesy Ranch Potatoes.
- Potatoes: The main ingredient for this Cheesy Ranch Potatoes recipe is potatoes. I used baby red potatoes for my roast potatoes but you can easily substitute whatever type of potato you have on hand including russet potatoes, red, yellow, or even sweet potatoes. Just be sure to cut whatever potato you use into even-sized pieces so it will cook evenly. To prep the baby red potatoes I just cut them in half.
- Olive Oil: Use nice olive oil to toss the potatoes in for a roasting.
- Ranch Seasoning: You can either use a store-bought ranch seasoning packet or make your own Homemade Ranch Seasoning. It's a blend of parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, chives, and dill.
- Cheddar Cheese: Use any type of shredded cheese that melts well. You could also use parmesan cheese!
- Garnish: I love adding a green garnish to brighten up this recipe before serving. Sliced green onions or chives are perfect.
- Salt & Black Pepper: The ranch seasoning mix already has salt and pepper in it, so I don't officially add these to the recipe BUT if you want to add extra you can.
Here's how to make my Cheesy Ranch Potatoes. The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
- Prep your potatoes by washing and cutting them.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. I like to cook my potatoes at high heat so they crisp up around the edges.
Toss the red potatoes in the olive oil and ranch seasoning mix.
Pour the potatoes onto the baking pan. Space them out evenly. They roast best when not touching.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and push them to one side of the pan. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Put the pan back in the oven until the cheese melts, around 2 minutes.
Serve immediately so the cheese is still melty!
- Make it Vegan: To make it just regular Ranch Potatoes just leave the cheese off. The cheese is good but I promise these are still very delicious without it.
- Make it Meat-y: For Bacon Ranch Potatoes sprinkle bacon on the melted cheese.
- Add a Dip: For extra ranch fun, serve my Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing for dipping.
How do you store leftovers?
Store any leftovers for my Cheesy Ranch Potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can you make these ahead of time?
You can prep them ahead of time by cutting the potatoes and tossing them in olive oil. Cut potatoes do oxidize though so I would only do that step a few hours ahead of time. Unfortunately, these potatoes test best right out of the oven with melted cheese, so I would not make the entire recipe ahead of time.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes, you could freeze the cooked potatoes. The texture of the potatoes would not be the same, but they can safely freeze and still be tasty. Freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. To thaw let them sit in the fridge overnight. Reheat them in the oven for the best results.
Can I double this recipe?
This recipe is great for a crowd! You can easily double or triple it. Don't crowd the baking pan too much though or the potatoes will steam instead of roast. If you have too many, just make them on a second sheet pan.
Make it a Meal
Cheesy Ranch Potatoes are a crazy versatile side dish that goes with so many things. Serve it with any dish where you would potatoes including chicken, fish, pork, or steak. Here are a few recipes I'd serve with it for a well-rounded meal.
- Lemon Pesto Salmon
- Salmon with Rainbow Veggies
- Blackened Mahi-Mahi
- Pineapple Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Steak
- Portobello Mushroom Burger
The BEST Cheese RANCH Potatoes - oven roasted! Click To Tweet
More Ranch Recipes to Try:
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- Greek Yogurt Chipolote Ranch
- Healthy Everything But the Bagel Ranch
- Crispy Ranch Chickpeas
- Parmesan Ranch Cauliflower
More Potato Recipes to Try:
- Garlic Herb Roasted Baby Red Potatoes
- Everything But the Bagel Roasted Potatoes
- Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Lemon Rosemary Potatoes
- 4 Ingredient Simple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Ingredient Maple Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Toss the red potatoes in the olive oil and ranch seasoning mix.
- Pour the potatoes onto the baking pan. Space them out evenly. They roast best when not touching.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and push them to one side of the pan. Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Put the pan back in the oven until the cheese melts, around 2 minutes.
- Serve imediatly so the cheese is still melty!
Pin for later