Marinated Cherry Tomatoes are the perfect simple side dish or appetizer for summer! This Cherry Tomato Salad is made with ripe cherry tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, red onion, and basil this delightful easy recipe can be ready in less than 15 minutes or made ahead for cookout or dinner.
Marinated Cherry Tomatoes
With summer in full swing, Marinated Cherry Tomatoes should be THE recipe for summer. Tomatoes are ripe, plentiful, and ever so tasty this time of year. Whether you buy them in the store or grow your own, there is something so special about the cherry tomato in summer. It's bursting with a flavor that's hard to find in the off-season. This Cherry Tomato Salad is simply SUMMER MAGIC.
If you are looking for the perfect recipe to use a bunch of cherry tomatoes, this is it! My Marinated Cherry Tomatoes are made with just FIVE ingredients and can be on the table in less than 15 minutes. This is also a great Cherry Tomato Salad recipe to make ahead as it only gets tastier sitting in the fridge overnight.
This super versatile recipe can be enjoyed on its own as a side dish, over a bed of salad greens, on top of a toasted crostini for a tasty bruschetta, with pasta, or as a topping for grilled chicken or fish! The possibilities are endless.
Like most great summer recipes these Marinated Cherry Tomatoes are made with just a handful of ingredients. You've got to love a FIVE ingredient recipe.
- Cherry Tomatoes: The best tomatoes for this Cherry Tomato Salad are fresh, ripe summer ones. You can find good ones at the grocery store BUT the best ones are from your own garden or the Farmer's Market. Wherever you get them, store them on the counter to keep the flavor. If you do have less ripe tomatoes not in summer allowing them to sit in the marinate a bit can bring out the flavors.
- Olive Oil: Since there are only a few ingredients in this recipe, I like to have a nice quality extra virgin olive oil. I've linked one of my favorites.
- Red Wine Vinegar: I like light and bright red wine vinegar for this recipe! You can use balsamic, but I think that works better on Caprese. I love this one!
- Small Red Onion: A sharp red onion adds a lovely bite and texture to this simple recipe. Slice it thinly so you don't overwhelm the cherry tomatoes. You could also use a Vidalia.
- Basil: You need fresh basil for this recipe. I love growing my own in my Herb Tower.
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Marinated Cherry Tomatoes?
- Cut your cherry tomatoes in half and thinly slice your onions.
- In the bottom of a medium bowl whisk together your olive oil, red wine, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the tomatoes and onion in the bowl. Fold in the fresh basil at the end.
- You can serve this immediately BUT it's also great if you let it marinate or sit in the fridge for several hours before serving. The flavor and texture changes slightly as the tomatoes marinate, which is lovely. You can leave them on the counter if you are letting them sit for 2 hours or less. If you are keeping them overnight put them in the fridge.
How Long with Marinated Cherry Tomato Keep?
These Marinated Cherry Tomatoes will keep in the fridge for up to three days. Store it in an airtight container.
I love these Marinated Cherry Tomatoes as is, but here are some fun ways to mix it up.
- Add fresh mozzarella or diced feta chunks.
- Use bottled Italian salad dressing instead of olive oil & vinegar.
- Use parsley instead of basil.
- Add fresh minced garlic.
- Add DIY Italian Spice Mix.
- Use the multi-colored cherry tomatoes.
This summer Cherry Tomato Salad recipe has so many fun variations, it's a great staple to keep around.
What to Eat with Marinated Cherry Tomatoes:
- Grilled Lemon Shrimp Skewers
- Pesto Salmon
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Spinach & Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Homemade Southwest Black Bean Burgers
- Salmon Foil Packets with Rainbow Veggies
These delicious Marinated Cherry Tomatoes would also be great on salad greens, on avocado toast topping, on pizza, or as a yummy bruschetta! It would also be a fabulous topping for any grilled meat like chicken or fish like Mahi Mahi, Salmon, or Grouper. This is one of those recipes that really can enjoy in so many ways.
More Cherry Tomato Recipes to Love:
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Blueberry Caprese Salad
- Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad with Dill
- Tomato Parmesan Zoodles
- White Bean Salad
- Fresh Salmon, Tomato & Asparagus in Foil
- Meditteranean Chopped Salad
Marinated Cherry Tomatoes
- Cut your cherry tomatoes in half, slice your onion and roll and cut your basil into a chiffonade.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Add the tomato and onion to the dressing and mix until well coated. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss the basil in at the end saving a small amount for a garnish.
- Serve immeiatly or allow to chill for an hour on the counter to let the flavors combine.
Pin for later!