This Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Patties recipe is the start to a perfect vegetarian meal. It's only a handful of ingredients, filled with flavor, and easy to make. They are perfect as a vegetarian main course, filling for a wrap or burger or even a toddler meal.
Being stuck at home and eating all of my meals here, I feel like I've been in a bit of a food rut. Between keeping myself, my hubby, and the twins fed I'm basically constantly cooking some sort of food. I'm sure many of you are in the same boat. It's HARD to keep our families fed these days.
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Patties
I try to keep us eating healthy and creative food but even as a food blogger I sometimes get in a rut. I was trying to think of something tasty I could make ahead of time for the boys and me to eat for lunch and that's how these delish CHEESY Broccoli Quinoa Patties were born.
Just a few very simple ingredients come together to make a savory quinoa cake you'll love. These bites of deliciousness are packed with flavor, texture, and are fabulous for meal prep!
Why You'll Love this Broccoli Quinoa Patties recipe...
My Broccoli Quinoa Patties recipe is super versatile! It can be a filling for a wrap, mini-burgers, topping for a salad, or even served alone as a vegetarian main course.
They are honestly pretty tasty for breakfast too. They aren't flashy BUT they taste really good and are loved by adults and kids alike.
Think of them as a small quinoa cake or burger.
Baked Cheesy Quinoa and Broccoli Patties
These Baked Cheesy Quinoa and Broccoli Patties start with a hefty dose of simple vegetables like broccoli, carrots, and onion. The base is cooked quinoa and it's all held together with an egg.
Of course, I added a nice dose of sharp cheddar cheese! Any cheese will do though... just pick your personal favorite.
You then form little burgers or patties out of the mixture and bake them to golden perfection.
Quinoa Patties for Toddlers
Turns out these Broccoli Quinoa Patties are the perfect quinoa patties for toddlers! These little golden bites have lots of hidden veggies for the twins and protein from the quinoa, egg, and cheese. They are such a yummy vegetarian meal that my twins both loved.
Even though this is great for toddlers, they also taste rich and filling enough for adults too! I serve mine in a wrap with extra greens and tomato or on top of a big salad for some extra substance and protein.
You've got to love a good make ahead meal that feeds everyone.
Ingredients in the Quinoa Patties...
So what's in these quinoa patties? Just a handful of simple, easy to find ingredients!
- Quinoa: Start with cooked quinoa to make these quinoa patties from scratch.
- Vegetables: These patties are a great way to get extra veggies in your diet! I used broccoli, carrots, and onion.
- Egg: Two eggs help bind the patties.
- Cheese: A bit of cheese makes these irresistible! I like sharp cheddar for this. To keep the calorie count low I use reduced-fat but if I'm making them just for the boys I'll use full fat.
- Olive Oil: You'll need a touch of olive oil to saute the vegetables.
- Salt & Pepper
How to make quinoa broccoli patties?
- Start by preheating the oven.
- Next, saute your vegetables in the olive oil until they are tender.
- Mix the vegetables, cooked quinoa, eggs, and cheddar in a bowl. Season well.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring spoon to help portion your quinoa patties and form them into even circles.
- Put the quinoa patties on a baking sheet and bake, flipping halfway through the time.
Variations & Pro Tips
The cool part about this Broccoli Quinoa Patties recipe is how versatile it is. You can mix up the vegetables, cheese, and spices to get different flavor profiles. This is the perfect starting point to add items you love. Here are some ideas.
- Mexican: Black beans, Peppers, Onions, Mexican Spice Blend, and Mexican Cheese Blend
- Greek: Kale or Spinach, Onions, Seeded Tomato, Greek Spices, Feta (If you use tomato just make sure to get the moisture out before adding them to the mixture.)
- Italian: Broccoli, Mushroom, Onions, Italian Cheese Blend & Italian Spice Blend
Other great additions are garlic, onion powder, lemon or even make them spicy with chipolte pepper!
What to eat with quinoa patties?
- Sauteed Greens
- Baked Potato
You can also make these quinoa patties into mini-burgers or turn them into a wrap filling.
I hope you will give this humble Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Patties recipe a try! Whether you are making them for adults or toddlers they are sure to be a flavorful addition to your busy week.
Love quinoa? Also try these!
- Honey Balsamic Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Cucumber Avocado and Feta Quinoa Salad
- Asain Edamame Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Crock Pot Mexican Quinoa Bake
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Patties recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli , cut into small pieces
- 2 cups carrots, finely chopped or shredded
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat saute the onion in the olive oil until starting to get tender. Add the broccoli and carrots and contine to saute until both are starting to get tender. Sprinkle the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the vegetable mixture, cooked quinoa, eggs and cheddar cheese in a bowl. Add salt about a ½ teaspoon of salt. Mix well.
- Using a ¼ meansuring cup carefully make the patties and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake the patties for 10 minutes. Pull them out of the oven and flip them over. Bake for another 8-10 minutes.
Pin for later!
Easy and tasty, great recipe!
Do these freeze well? Thanks
Hi there! Yes, they will freeze well!
Any thoughts on what to use as a binder instead of eggs? Unfortunately I am allergic and don’t like egg substitutes.
I feel like I've been in a food rut as well. Not to mention, I've been eating more than normal too! This is a great recipe to keep it healthy!
Deborah Brooks says
These are right up my alley! Looking forward to trying them soon