This plant-based Asian Edamame Quinoa is packed with protein!
Quinoa is one of those foods I keep in bulk. As a mainly plant-based eater you can't beat the nutrients and protein packed in this little grain. One cup of cooked quinoa has 8 grams of protein PLUS fiber, magnesium, folate, Vitamin B-6, selenium and potassium. It's quite magical in my opinion.
I put quinoa is salads, use it as a side dish or whip up main dishes like this Asian Edamame Quinoa. It's packed all sorts of yummy plant-based protein in one easy to put together package.
This Asian Edamame Quinoa is Vegetarian & Vegan!
I got the inspiration for the asian flavors with the quinoa from a dish I ate at Tupelo Honey in Asheville many moons ago. Their version was part of another dish but I thought it was so tasty and would make a great vegetarian main course. To make my version I chopped red bell pepper and green onions, plus grabbed a handful of pre-cut julienned carrots.
They result was practically a rainbow of veggie color.
My secret ingredients are some beautiful sesame oil AND golden raisins. The sesame oil really solidifies that asian flavor and the golden raisins give a subtle sweetness to the dish.
The result is something colorful, beautiful and so tasty. Above all it is super healthy and is a high protein vegetarian dish. It's also vegan too!
It is perfect for a light dinner or you can make a big batch to eat for lunches all week. It can keep well in the fridge for several days. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Asian Edamame Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth, or water *
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ lime, juiced
- In a medium sauce pan put the quinoa in the vegetable broth with the salt. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Turn the burner to simmer and cover. The quinoa should be cooked in about 15 minutes.
- Combine the cooked quinoa with the edamame, carrots, red peppers, scallions and raisins.
- Whisk together the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey and lime to make the dressing.
- Stir the dressing into the quinoa mixture, coating everything well.
- Serve warm or cold.
Like this Asian Edamame Quinoa? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!
Love quinoa? Also try...
- Crock Pot Mexican Quinoa Bake
- 3 Easy Quinoa Salads
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Salad
Thanks for stopping by friends. Tomorrow I'm sharing what I planted in my garden this year.
Do you eat quinoa?