This plant-based Asian Edamame Quinoa is packed with protein!
Quinoa is one of those foods I keep in bulk. As a mainly plant-based eater you can’t beat the nutrients and protein packed in this little grain. One cup of cooked quinoa has 8 grams of protein PLUS fiber, magnesium, folate, Vitamin B-6, selenium and potassium. It’s quite magical in my opinion.
I put quinoa is salads, use it as a side dish or whip up main dishes like this Asian Edamame Quinoa. It’s packed all sorts of yummy plant-based protein in one easy to put together package.Asian Edamame Quinoa - a high protein plant-based meal!
This Asian Edamame Quinoa is Vegetarian & Vegan!
I got the inspiration for the asian flavors with the quinoa from a dish I ate at Tupelo Honey in Asheville many moons ago. Their version was part of another dish but I thought it was so tasty and would make a great vegetarian main course. To make my version I chopped red bell pepper and green onions, plus grabbed a handful of pre-cut julienned carrots.
They result was practically a rainbow of veggie color.
My secret ingredients are some beautiful sesame oil AND golden raisins. The sesame oil really solidifies that asian flavor and the golden raisins give a subtle sweetness to the dish.
The result is something colorful, beautiful and so tasty. Above all it is super healthy and is a high protein vegetarian dish. It’s also vegan too!
It is perfect for a light dinner or you can make a big batch to eat for lunches all week. It can keep well in the fridge for several days. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!Asian Edamame Quinoa - a high protein plant-based meal!
Edamame and quinoa are two of my favorite protein packed vegetarian foods. I combine them in this Asian Edamame Quinoa!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water *
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red pepper chopped
- 3 scallions sliced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 lime juiced
- In a medium sauce pan put the quinoa in the vegetable broth with the salt. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Turn the burner to simmer and cover. The quinoa should be cooked in about 15 minutes.
- Combine the cooked quinoa with the edamame, carrots, red peppers, scallions and raisins.
- Whisk together the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey and lime to make the dressing.
- Stir the dressing into the quinoa mixture, coating everything well.
- Serve warm or cold.
* If you don't have broth, you can cook the quinoa in water. The broth brings more flavor to the dish.
Like this Asian Edamame Quinoa? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!
Love quinoa? Also try…
- Crock Pot Mexican Quinoa Bake
- 3 Easy Quinoa Salads
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Salad
Thanks for stopping by friends. Tomorrow I’m sharing what I planted in my garden this year.
Do you eat quinoa?