Lemon Garlic Kale is packed with nutrients! If you are asking yourself- How do I cook Kale? This is it! This easy way of preparing this super food will have you eating more kale and never looking back.
I had dinner the other night with my friend Marilyn and our hubbys at Limones in Asheville. The two boys ordered a steak with kale on the side. Neither of them are huge fans of greens, but both really liked this super flavorful version. Marilyn set out to recreate the Kale dish for her family and was kind enough to share the recipe with me. Her hubby and toddler both ate large servings of her version and I made it for dinner at my house it is was also a hit.
Point of the story my friends.
How do I cook Kale?
Kale comes in these super easy to use bags these days. Open up the bag and take any big stems you see out. There should not be many because you are paying a little extra for the fancy bag.
Now here is where Marilyn’s secret comes in. Before you start cooking the Kale you massage it. Yes, like you are going to the spa, massage it. Marilyn and I both think this makes the finished product a little softer and less bitter.
And also remember the big bag of Kale really cooks down like spinach! So don’t be afraid to make it all at once.
- 16 oz bag of Kale
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 teaspoon if you like less garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes less if you are sensitive to hot food
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Remove any large stems from kale.
- Massage kale for about one minute.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot under medium high heat.
- Add Kale and put lid on pot for one minute.
- Add water to pot, stir kale and put lid back on.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. The kale should be getting softer.
- Push back kale so you have a clear area at the bottom on the pot. Add the other tablespoon of olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté the garlic until fragment but not burnt.
- Stir well and add the salt. Adjust for personal taste.
- Mix in the lemon and balsamic vinegar before serving.