You will never miss the mayo in this Healthy Broccoli Slaw recipe! Tangy yogurt, sweet honey, and pumpkin seeds make this unique coleslaw an easy, guilt-free favorite.
I’m not counting or anything, but I can’t wait until summer. In fact, I’m already dreaming of the days where the Hubs and I will cookout and linger on our porch for hours after a meal eating summer favorites like Caprese, Portobello Burgers and even this Healthy Broccoli Slaw. Since I used to work early mornings and had to be in bed by 7 PM, I still really appreciate those long warm summer nights where it doesn’t get dark until 9 PM. With this long and cold winter (and spring that feels like winter,) I’m longing for the magic of those summer nights… it’s my favorite time of year.
Cue the Grease music… puhh-lease…
Here’s Why I Love This Healthy Broccoli Slaw…
In the summer I try to make quick and easy dinners that don’t require the oven. I’m all about grilling and side dishes that are assembly only! This recipe uses that bagged or pre packaged slaw in the store. My Healthy Broccoli Slaw recipe uses that and a light easy dressing. You don’t have to heat up the house, just stir together some of your favorite ingredients in the perfect light creamy greek yogurt dressing. It’s the perfect low fat dressing for broccoli slaw.
Where can I buy broccoli slaw?
If you haven’t seen “broccoli slaw” before, you can find it pre-packaged near the other bagged vegetables, like slaw or broccoli florets. It’s sometimes near the bagged salads too. I think it is more substantial than a regular slaw, is packed with vitamins, and is really yummy. Plus I love all the color in it… look for a version that already has carrots in it!
A fun side note is the stems of broccoli are just as healthy as the pretty florets. They actually have slightly MORE calcium, iron, and vitamin C.
Traditional Southern broccoli slaw has mayonnaise and sugar but my version, OF COURSE, has a healthy twist.
For my Healthy Broccoli slaw, I mix in goodies like Greek yogurt, lime juice, and pumpkin seeds. The tangy yogurt and fresh lime juice is such a unique combination that just screams spring!
To kick the dish up a notch I use fresh garden herbs to bring out the flavor without a lot of work. This makes my Healthy Broccoli Slaw recipe THE perfect light summer cookout dish!
Ingredients in This Recipe
- Greek yogurt: A healthy alternative to the mayo typically found in broccoli slaw recipes.
- Lime juice: I love adding in a little fresh lime juice as it provides a light, citrusy contrast to the dressing.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Honey: Adds a little sweetness without overpowering the other flavors in the slaw.
- Broccoli slaw: For convenience, I like to use bagged broccoli slaw. But if you’re feeling ambitious, you can certainly shred your own!
- Parsley or cilantro: Works as a beautiful garnish and adds flavor.
- Pumpkin or sunflower seeds: Adds extra texture and flavor.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make the Slaw
In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt, lime, vinegar, honey together.
Add the broccoli slaw, parsley and pumpkin seeds. Toss until well coated. Salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Broccoli Slaw FAQs
How long does broccoli slaw last in the fridge?
You can store broccoli slaw in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The slaw may get a little soggy, but it can easily be drained. You can also throw in some more seeds to liven it up again!
How do you make broccoli slaw from scratch?
Y’all know I love a good shortcut with a bagged salad but you can also make broccoli slaw from scratch by peeling and shredding a raw broccoli stem. You can also add shredded carrots to the mix. After making your mix you can pick up where my Healthy Broccoli Slow recipe starts.
You can also make shredded broccoli easily be made by running broccoli stems through a spiralizer. Here’s a great how-to guide you can follow.
More Healthy Cookout Sides to Try…
- Healthy Potato Salad with Greek Yogurt
- Fresh White Bean Salad
- Easy Homemade Salsa
- Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Cannoli Strawberries
- Grilled Vegetable Quinoa
- Tomato Cucumber and Avocado Salad
- Rainbow Fruit Skewers
- Black Bean Salsa
Healthy Broccoli Slaw Recipe
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 12 ounce bag broccoli slaw
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt, lime, vinegar, honey together.
- Add the broccoli slaw, parsley and pumpkin seeds. Toss until well coated. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours but up to overnight.
Pin for later!