My Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread recipe is full of pumpkin flavor from Pumpkin Pie Spice and real pumpkin puree. It's perfect for fall! This Healthy Cornbread uses a few better for you swaps including white wheat flour and honey. The end result is a fluffy and lightly sweet cornbread that's perfect for a fall dinner, with chili and soups, or even for Thanksgiving dinner.
Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread Recipe
This Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread recipe is full of flavor from pumpkin puree and a touch of honey. It's the perfect twist on the traditional cornbread I grew up on.
Although I grew up in Florida my Mom was from Tennessee which meant I grew up with all kinds of traditional Southern traditions. Cornbread was one of them. It was at ALL meals and especially at the holiday table. I have such lovely memories of both my Mom and my Grandmother, Bea mixing cornbread from scratch and cooking it in a well worn, seasoned cast iron skillet. Neither of them had a recipe and did it by sight. To this day I still can't recreate it JUST right even though they both showed me dozens of times.
So instead of not getting their version exactly right AGAIN, I decided to whip up something totally NEW this year. This Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread recipe is the perfect twist on the Southern classic. It's soft, fluffy and would be perfect on your Thanksgiving table OR just for any fall meal. Plus it features a few healthy swaps that would even make Grandma proud.
Why you'll love this Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread recipe...
One of the best things about baking with pumpkin is it has the ability to make what you bake fluffy! If you've ever added it to pancakes (If not, try my Easy Pumpkin Pancake recipe that uses a boxed mix!) you know that it instantly turns then into the softest ones you've ever made.
Turns out adding pumpkin to cornbread does the same thing! It takes what is sometimes dry and makes it super moist and fluffy. Adding pumpkin to the cornbread is THE way to go!
This healthier cornbread is sweet but has no added refined sugar. I sweetened mine with a touch of honey... which compliments the pumpkin perfectly.
There is butter in this cornbread... because I am Southern BUT it also works with coconut oil if that' your jam.
This fluffy Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread has just a few ingredients. Here's what you will need to make it.
- Cornmeal: Cornmeal is the perfect base for cornbread. Cornmeal is an actually healthy, naturally gluten-free whole grain that is good for you! This one is one of my favorites.
- White Wheat Flour: I find that you get the best cornbread by using a touch of regular flour too. I like using White Wheat Flour because it has more of the nutrients like wheat flour but the consistency of white flour.
- Honey: Honey is a great natural sweetener and pairs perfectly with cornmeal and pumpkin.
- Pumpkin: Look for pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin not only tastes good but is super good for you! It's full of vitamins including vitamin a and vitamin c.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: I like to add a touch of Pumpkin Pie Spice to my Pumpkin Cornbread. Here's my own Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice version with nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves.
- Milk: A touch of milk acts as a binder. Use whatever type you have in your fridge.
- Eggs: Eggs bind the recipe together and make it fluffy.
- Preheat your oven and spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix or whisk the dry ingredients - cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt- together.
- Add the wet ingredients - milk, butter, honey, pumpkin puree, and egg- to the bowl. Mix until just combined. Don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into a pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm for the tastiest cornbread!
The cornbread tastes amazing right out of the oven or the next day. Reheat it in the microwave or oven if you want it warm again.
Variations & FAQ
- Make it Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins: Pour the batter into muffins tins and bake for around 20 minutes.
- Make it Sweeter: Add extra honey or top with cinnamon butter.
- Make it Gluten Free: Swap your favorite gluten-free flour for the White Wheat Flour.
- Make it Dairy Free: Use almond milk instead of regular milk.
- Make it Vegan: Use agave nectar or maple syrup instead of honey and a flax egg instead of the real egg.
How to Store Pumpkin Cornbread?
Store the pumpkin cornbread in an airtight container. It can stay at room temperature for a few days. For a longer shelf live store it in the fridge. It should keep for around 3-5 days.
Can I freeze pumpkin cornbread?
Yes, freeze it either as an entire loaf or cut off individual pieces to freeze. Store in an airtight freezer bag. It should keep for 3 months.
Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread is a Family Favorite!
This Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread may not be exactly like Mom's... but it's the next best thing! It would be perfect on your Thanksgiving table or with any fall meal. It's the perfect side dish to soup, chili or fall stews.
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
Ideas to Make it a Meal:
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Crock Pot Black Bean Soup
- Crock Pot Vegetable Soup
- Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- Vegetarian Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Vegan Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal
- Healthier Crock Pot Pumpkin French Toast
If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Leave a comment and a star rating ★ below. Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!
Fluffy and Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup white wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup butter, melted & cooled
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt together. Add the milk, butter, honey, pumpkin puree, and eggs. Mix until just combined and pour into a baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm!
Pin for later!
I've somehow still never tried making my own cornbread, but this looks super good! *-*
I've never had pumpkin cornbread! Loving this fall twist on a traditional favorite. You made it perfectly!
You've mixed two of my favorites into one amazing recipe! I love the pumpkin in this!!
Deborah Brooks says
I love cornbread too! Adding in pumpkin is a yummy idea
Maureen @ Maureen Gets Real says
I've never heard of pumpkin cornbread but it sounds like such a festive dish for this time of year! I'm not sure what we're being tasked to bring for Thanksgiving dinner but I'll keep this in mind if we end up needing to bring a side.