Mix up your nacho game with my low carb Vegetarian Mini Bell Pepper Nachos recipe!
I’ve professed my love for nachos before sharing my all-time favorite 6 Ingredient Vegetarian Sheet Pan Nachos recipe very early in my blogging days. Those nachos are something the Hubs and I have made since we first started dating over 10 years ago. We’d make them almost every weekend when we watched football games. I’d open a can of black beans, fresh pico, and cheese. Then get out a big sheet pan of the salty nachos… filling little bowls on the side with extra salsa, plain greek yogurt, and guacamole. We’d put them on a tv tray between us and munch throughout the game. Now we just make them on special occasions and I always feel a bit nostalgic when I do.
I know a big tray of chips isn’t exactly healthy… even with healthier toppings… so I’ve wanted to come up with a better nacho alternative for you guys for years.
So finally this year I did it. This is my healthy, low carb and gluten-free version of vegetarian nachos made with mini-bell peppers instead of chips. It’s is pretty darn delicious in its own right.
NOW… please don’t think I think there is anything wrong with indulging in a tray of piled high regular nachos. There isn’t and I promise you at least once this football season the Hubs and I are going to binge on a pile without regret.
BUT it is nice to have another alternative. And this Vegetarian Mini Bell Pepper Nachos recipe is it!
This Vegetarian Mini Bell Pepper Nachos recipe is perfect for game day!
Traditional nachos might have meat, but mine are kept vegetarian using simple canned black beans instead of beef or chicken. I love how easy the canned black beans are. All I do is rinse them and pile them into the bell peppers.
The other toppings are fresh pico, and sliced jalapenos. The entire pan is then topped with just enough tasty Mexican cheese that melts perfectly in a hot oven.
The only tricky part about this recipe is cutting the peppers in half. All you do is slice them lengthwise. It takes a little time but it is worth it.
These mini-bell peppers are usually sold in a plastic bag of assorted colors. I often find them at a great deal at ALDI. <— not sponsored.
Ingredients in this Vegetarian Mini Bell Pepper Nachos recipe
- Mini Bell Peppers
- Black Beans
- Pico de Gallo
- Mexican Cheese
- Cold toppings: cilantro, avocado, salsa, ect.
How to make my Vegetarian Mini Bell Pepper Nachos recipe…
- Cut the mini bell peppers in half.
- Fill the bell peppers with the toppings.
- Bake until the cheese melts.
- Add optional cold toppings like cilantro, green onion or avocado.
These tasty little bites totally hit that nacho craving without all those chips! I promise you are going to love them.
More vegetarian game day recipes…
- Vegetarian Cauliflower Buffalo Dip
- Healthier Jalapeno Popper Dip
- 6 Ingredient EASY Vegetarian Sheet Pan Nachos
- Bullalo Cauliflower
- Guacamole Potato Skins
Pin for later…
Vegetarian Mini Bell Pepper Nachos recipe
- 16 ounces mini bell peppers
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican Cheese, vegan option in notes
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- toppings: green onion, greek yogurt, guacamole, cilantro, extra pico or salsa.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the mini bell peppers in half and remove the seeds. Lay skin side down on a sheet pan lined with foil.
- Carefully put the black beans and pico into the bell pepper cups. Top with the cheese and sliced jalapenos.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.
- Serve hot with the toppings!
Regular or bell pepper nachos?
What football teams, if any, do you pull for?