It is time to get my eating back on track with some healthy salads. This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad uses fresh, easy to find flavors and a homemade dressing. Your taste buds and your diet will love it!
Oh how I love the holidays. I indulge in things like pancakes with ice cream and it is amazing. But now it is time to find my way back to the good side. I feel like my taste buds need a detox and Mediterranean salads are the way to go.
Crisp hearts of romaine, sweet cherry tomatoes, cool cucumber, hearty chickpeas and salty feta combine for this delicious and easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad.
I even use reduced fat feta to keep the calorie count low. I never notice a huge difference in the taste of regular feta vs. reduced fat, so I consider it an easy switch. I even ate this salad three times last week. I enjoyed it more each time.
The key to making this dish great is really good ingredients. Use the best olive oil you can and Meyers lemons, if you can make the splurge. It is simple and tasty. The perfect salad to get your eating back on track. And if you don’t care about being fancy, pour it in a big bowl and eat away! I do this so I can mix it together really well and get each ingredient in every bite. In fact this is how I eat my lunch many days.
No fuss, no muss, just really good food.
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 small cucumber quartered and sliced
- 1/4 cup reduced fat feta
- 2 tablespoons high quality olive good
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Combine the lettuce, chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber and feta in a salad bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon, oregano, salt and pepper to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Serves 2 entrée size salads or 4 side salads.
Are you on a New Year diet?
Did you eat all the cookies this Christmas or were you good?