My Vegan Cobb Salad will make you never think of the meat version again!
I’m so blessed to live in a town with so many locally owned and unique restaurants. Asheville has some seriously good food and because of that, I don’t eat at chain restaurants very often. However, If I’m in a bigger city I’ll sometimes be lured in by a few of my old favorites. Earlier this year I was in Charlotte visiting my brother and we decided to go to the Cheesecake Factory. I’m a sucker for their huge salads and of course the cheesecake. <— yes, I’m the girl who orders a salad and a cheesecake!
This salad is inspired by their killer Vegan Cobb Salad. It is the stuff salad-y dreams are made of.Love this Vegan Cobb Salad from Running in a Skirt
Here’s why you want to try my Hearty Vegan Cobb Salad…
When I see Cobb salad on a menu, I often turn away because it’s packed with processed meat. It’s not something I’m a fan of. My version gets a complete makeover. The protein in this Vegan Cobb Salad comes from cooked quinoa, garbanzo beans and pumpkin seeds making it pretty darn hearty for a vegan salad. The bed of lettuce is actually kale and the veggies are filling, plentiful and fresh. The Cheesecake Factory’s version of this salad has a lot more ingredients, but I decided to keep mine a bit simpler for the sake of creating a recipe y’all would actually like to make. Their version is also on regular mixed greens, but I always request kale on mine… so that’s what I used for this yummy dish.
You can add avocado as the “cheese” or add some sharp cheddar if you are just vegetarian and not vegan.
The dressing is a light lemon vinaigrette with plenty of flavor. You whisk it in a bowl quickly before serving.
This Vegan Cobb Salad would also be great with my Homemade Greek Vinaigrette, Healthy & Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing or even my Homemade Greek Yogurt Ranch if you like creamy dressing. Those are all homemade, healthy and delicious. The Greek Vinaigrette Dressing is vegan and the other two are vegetarian.
This Vegan Cobb Salad is perfect for this time of year as the weather warms and we start enjoying lighter meals. Enjoy!
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 10 asparagus springs blanched and cut in 2" pieces
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Optional: avocado cubed
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together dressing and massage it into the kale.
- Put a bed of kale on your plate.
- Assemble the rest of the ingredients in rows.
- Sprinkle additional salt and pepper on the top!
* To blanch the asparagus, quickly submerge it in boiling water until it turns bright green. Remove and place in an ice bath to keep from overcooking.
* For added flavor, cook the quinoa in vegetable broth.
* If you are only vegetarian and not vegan, cubed sharp cheddar cheese is good on this!
Love this Vegan Cobb Salad from Running in a Skirt
Like this Vegan Cobb Salad recipe? Pin this to your favorite Pinterest Board!
Love summer vegan salads? Also try…
Thanks for stopping by today! Come back tomorrow for a fresh Fashion Friday post.
Chain or local restaurants?
What are your favorite salad toppings?