3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls are the perfect no-bake energy bite that can be made in 10 minutes and eaten on the go. Made with peanut butter, oatmeal, and honey OR maple syrup/ agave nectar to make them vegan-friendly. The perfect protein-packed snack or breakfast!
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
So what's so fabulous about these 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls? First, they can be made in less than ten minutes, and did I mention they use only three ingredients? You can't beat a simple recipe that uses peanut butter, honey, and oatmeal. The recipe is naturally vegetarian, keto, and dairy-free, plus, this recipe gives you the option to make these gluten-free and even vegan. Plus, this is a basic base recipe that you can customize in so many ways with my tasty suggestions below.
The PB Oat Balls have a rich tasty peanut butter flavor with lots of texture but without the fuss of actually having to turn on the oven. You've got to love a good, healthy no baked snack like this.
With the twins running around, I love a recipe that can be thrown together in minutes especially if it's a fast and easy snack my crazy toddlers will eat! This ridiculously easy no-bake energy bite recipe falls into BOTH of those categories making a recipe anyone will love.
Are the PB Oat Balls healthy?
These 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls are very healthy! They are full of healthy fats, plus the combination of peanut butter, honey, and oats, all have nutritional value.
Peanut Butter is a great source of protein and healthy fats. Oats are an unrated superfood full of iron, fiber, and micronutrients. And honey is full of vitamins, and minerals and has anti-inflammatory properties. Use local honey or benefit from allergies.
As with most energy bites though, they can be rich in calories so it's important to eat them in moderation.
Why You'll Love These 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls...
- Whether you call them 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls, Peanut Butter Balls, or short for PB Oat Balls, these delightful bits are perfect for meal prep and make-ahead snacks.
- They are wonderful as a quick snack, part of a healthy lunch, or even an afterschool snack for kids.
- They are even toddler-approved... Hunter and Jackson both gobbled them up.
- These no-bake bites are simple, approachable, and a total crowd-pleaser. I love that you get the feeling of eating a tasty baked treat without actually having to turn on the oven.
- This recipe easily makes a dozen, but you can double it or more to save some in the freezer for snacks.
- They are great for lunch boxes, travel, and more.
- You can't beat a recipe that has only 3 ingredients! You can customize these with other add-ins to match your favorite flavor.s
- They are made with pantry ingredients and staples! I bet you already have these ingredients in your pantry.
Here's an overview of what you'll need to make this 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls recipe, but keep scrolling for the full recipe amounts.
- Peanut Butter: Use a nice and creamy one for this! Natural peanut butter that is drippy also works well. You can also substitute any other nut butter you like including almond butter and sunflower seed butter. Using creamy peanut butter vs. crunchy peanut butter works the best.
- Rolled Oats: Old-fashioned oats work best for this recipe. Rolled oats will give you the best chewy texture. You can use quick oats if that's all you have though. I do not recommend making these with steel-cut oats as they will not be tender enough.
- Honey: Honey sweetens these bites just a touch. Depending on how sweet your peanut butter is you can add more or less to taste. Read below for the vegan substitution. You could use any liquid sweetener of your choice.
Peanut Butter PROTEIN Balls?
If you are looking for a version of these with more of a protein punch these can easily turn into Peanut Butter Protein Balls or protein bites! Just substitute your favorite vanilla or peanut butter protein powder for part of the oatmeal. ¼ cup of oatmeal and ¼ cup of protein powder would work great!
You can hardly taste the protein powder and if getting more protein is important to you, this is a great way to do it! It's way better than packaged protein snacks too.
Variations for Alternative Diets:
- Gluten Free: Make the 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls gluten-free by substituting certified gluten-free oats.
- Vegan: To make this recipe vegan substitute the honey for maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Nut Free: Make these No Bake Bites nut-free by substituting sunflower butter!
- Peanut Free: You can also swap out Almond Butter or Cashew Butter if those taste better to you or fit into your diet better.
This basic recipe for 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Balls is a great place to start, but all of these toppings below would give you an entirely different snack.
- Add Chia: Chia seeds add some extra protein and Omega-3s naturally.
- Add Flax: Add flax seed, ground flax seed, or hemp seeds for more healthy fats and protein.
- Make them Indulgent: For a more indulgent treat add some mini chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips!
- Make them Fruity: Add dried fruit like dried cranberries, dates, or raisins.
- Make them Nutty: Add nuts like walnuts, pecans, or almonds.
- Add some Flavor: For more rich flavor, add a dash of vanilla extract, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or almond extract.
- Make them Tropical: Add some shredded coconut.
These 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls could not be simpler to make! Just grab your favorite food processor or high-speed blender and get mixing! Here's what you do...
- Put the oatmeal, peanut butter, and honey in a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Use a cookie scoop to divide into 12 balls and form uniform balls with your hands.
- Put the balls on a cookie sheet and put them in the fridge until they firm up.
- Transfer to an airtight container to store.
Pro Tips & FAQ
- The amount of moisture in different brands of peanut butter can widely vary, so if you feel like your dough isn't quite the right consistency, don't be afraid to add a little more oats to dry it out or a little more peanut butter to add more moisture back in.
- For easier rolling of the balls, chill your dough for 10-15 minutes before rolling.
- If you are still having trouble rolling the balls, wet hands can help.
- To make the balls even divide the mixture into 12 portions first and then make the balls.
- Use a small cookie scoop to help form the circle.
- Serve as a side with your lunch or as a healthy snack on the go.
These 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls are stored in the fridge well for up to a week. You can keep them at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze oatmeal energy balls?
These energy balls are freezer friendly! You can store extras in a sealed freezer-friendly container. You could even double the recipe to have more for later.
To enjoy the energy bites from the freezer, thaw overnight in the fridge.
Are energy balls good for you?
YES! These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Balls have lots of protein, good carbs, and healthy fats for a well-rounded snack. Eaten in moderation they are great on-the-go snack.
How many calories in a protein ball?
Each energy bite has around 120 calories and 4 grams of protein. So this is a healthy snack, I would enjoy them in moderation.
Can you eat raw oats in energy balls?
You might be wondering about the raw oats in these energy balls? Raw oats are fine to eat raw. When combined with the other ingredients like the peanut butter and honey they soften with the moisture from those things. They provide substance and a wonderful chewy texture to the recipe!
How to make oatmeal energy balls without peanut butter...
Even though peanut butter is one of just three ingredients in this recipe you can easily substitute sunflower butter to make them nut-free! Almond butter or cashew butter also works.
How to make energy ball gluten-free?
You can easily make these 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls gluten-free by adding certified gluten-free rolled oats.
These 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls are So Good!
You can't go wrong with these 3 Ingredient Peanut butter Oatmeal Balls. This humble little recipe for PB Oat Balls might be super easy but I know you will LOVE it.. This is a great base recipe for simple energy bites and then you can dress them in so many ways if you'd like.
Give them a try and let me know what you think.
More Healthy Peanut Butter Snacks to Try:
- No Bake Peanut Butter Protein Bars
- 5 Ingredients Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bites
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Hummus
More No Bake Energy Balls to Love:
- Banana Bread Energy Balls
- Chunky Monkey Energy Balls
- Pumpkin Pie Energy Balls
- Fudge Brownie Energy Balls
- Peppermint Fudge Energy Balls
- Nutella Fudge Energy Balls
- Gingerbread Energy Balls
- Carrot Cake Energy Balls
- Apple Pie Energy Balls
- Superfood Energy Balls
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- Put the oatmeal, peanut butter, and honey in a food processor and mix until smooth. You'll want to leave the oats broken but still a little visible.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Use your hands to form into balls.
- Put the balls on a cookie sheet and put them in the fridge to harden.
- Transfer and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Pin for later!