Crock Pot Vegetarian Baked Potato Soup is thick, creamy, and loaded with your favorite vegetables. It’s a healthy potato soup that's full of flavor and the perfect way to warm up on a cold day!
Don’t you just love GOOD baked potato soup? It's something I always want if I see it on a menu when I eat out. It's so thick, creamy, and filling... perfect for a crisp fall day or cold winter night.
Vegetarian Potato Soup Crock Pot
Sadly the version in the restaurant may have chicken stock and most likely has all sorts of heavy cream and butter. Sure, there is a time and place for the indulgent kind... but my Crock Pot Vegetarian Potato Soup recipe is, of course, a little bit healthier. My version is made with low sodium vegetable stock and greek yogurt to get that creamy taste without the heavy cream.
The end result is a soup that still has big, rich flavors but is a little better for you.
Because that's how we roll, my friends!
Kitchen Tools for my Crock Pot Vegetarian Potato Soup recipe
This Vegetarian Potato Soup cooks the soup all day in your Crock Pot or slow cooker. The goal is to get the potatoes nice and soft without a lot of effort or fuss and the crock pot is the perfect way to do that.
To get the soup thick and creamy you use a handy dandy immersion blender. Seriously, if you don't have one yet... just click over and hit checkout on Amazon. <---affiliate link! I use mine all the time when I'm making soups.
After you blend the soup you stir in the sharp cheddar and greek yogurt to get some creaminess without the cream.
TA-DAHHHHH!!!!! Here's what else you will need....
Vegetarian Baked Potato Soup Ingredients:
- Potatoes: I used russet potatoes for my version but you could also use baby potatoes!
- Celery: Celery adds some depth of flavor and richness to the soup.
- Onions: Onions compliment the potatoes and add a punch to the soup.
- Garlic: You can't have a good vegetarian potato soup without garlic! Feel free to add more until it tastes just right to you.
- Vegetable broth: A great base for a soup that also adds flavor and keeps the soup vegetarian.
- Thyme and dill: Unlike fresh herbs, dried herbs are best added at the beginning of cooking so that the flavors have time to infuse the dish.
- Greek yogurt: To prevent curdling you'll want to add the yogurt at the very end of the cooking time.
- Cheddar cheese: Use freshly grated cheese as pre-grated cheese has a tendency to not melt as well.
- Salt and pepper
How do you make vegetarian baked potato soup?
You can make vegetarian baked potato soup on the stovetop but I love my version that's made in a classic slow cooker or crock pot. This is the perfect recipe that can simmer all day to get the richest flavors.
- Add the potatoes, celery, onions, garlic, vegetable broth, thyme, dill, salt, and pepper to your crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low on 7-8 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency.
- Stir in the greek yogurt and cheese.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
Topping ideas for vegetarian potato soup
Serve my Crock Pot Vegetarian Potato Soup recipe with your favorite baked potato toppings like:
- Extra sharp cheddar
- Green onions
- Additional greek yogurt or sour cream
If you're in a family with carnivores... you could always give them some bacon too. 🙂 At least that's what makes the Hubs happy.
I will, however, stick to my cheese and green onions. I love the fresh crunch and color with adding them.
What can I eat with potato soup?
My soup is thick and creamy making it a filling meal but you can also serve it with garlic bread, dinner rolls or a healthy salad. Here are a few ideas:
This soup is thick, creamy, and just screams yummy comfort food. It's filling and really sticks to the bones... as they say! This Healthy Vegetarian Potato Soup is the perfect compromise when you want a cozy meal without all the fat or calories.
This recipe for Crock Pot Vegetarian Potato Soup recipe is one I've modified over time and It's grown into a family favorite I make again and again. It's very satisfying when you just need a little comfort food and is very easy to make. I hope you'll try it and enjoy it as much as I do.
Want More Vegetarian Crockpot Soups?
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Lasagna Soup
- Nourishing Vegetarian Crock Pot Lentil Soup
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens Soup
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Crock Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Crock Pot Southwest White Bean Soup
Crock Pot Vegetarian Baked Potato Soup
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, cubed
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium onion chopped, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, green onions or chives
- Put the potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, broth, thyme, dill, salt and pepper in a large crock pot.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 7-8 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning and salt/pepper as needed.
- Stir in the greek yogurt and cheese. Adding additional if desired.
- Garnish with additional cheddar cheese, green onions or chives!
Pin for later!