Healthy and flavorful tomato basil soup made in the Crock Pot. Easy vegetarian and vegan comfort food to warm up with on a chilly evening.
Oh… this one is a doozy guys. So simple, so delicious. Soooo much amazing basil flavor….
Why You’ll Love This Easy Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- My Easy Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup is comforting on a cold winter day, yet delightfully tomato-y even in the middle of summer. Really this soup just might be the answer to all your problems.
- I pulled the Crock Pot out yesterday to prepare this and it was like I reunited with an old friend. I really believe that Crock Pot is the perfect solution to dinner time drama. Just pull it out early in the day and throw all the goodness in a pot…
- By the time you come home the house smells divine and your meal is almost complete. This Easy Crock Pot Tomato Basil soup recipe uses a little whirl of the immersion blender to finish it off. Easy, peasy!
Healthy Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup Ingredients
- Canned whole tomatoes: You can also use fresh tomatoes, but I love how canned tomatoes are easy to pick up at any time of the year.
- Celery: Finely chop for more even cooking and for easier blending.
- Carrots: Finely chop for more even cooking and for easier blending.
- Sweet onion: Adds mildly sweet flavor.
- Vegetable broth: A great base for soup that also adds flavor.
- Garlic: Adds flavor that perfectly compliments the veggies in the soup.
- Basil: Adds a sweet and pungent flavor that works well in tomato-based dishes like this tomato soup.
- Bay leaf: Adds a subtle bitterness that prevents the soup from feeling “heavy”.
- Salt and pepper
How do you make Easy Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup?
- Put all of the ingredients in a Crock Pot or slow cooker.
- Cook the soup on low for 6-8 hours.
- When the veggies are soft and tender, the soup is done.
- Blend with immersion blender (or blender) until the desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with extra basil and parmesan.
How do you freeze Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup?
Allow the soup to cool before ladling it into freezer-safe containers or freezer bags, just make sure you don’t add any dairy before freezing it. Soup can be frozen for 4-6 months, and then thawed overnight in the refrigerator.
Tips for Making the Soup
- If you don’t have an immersion blender a regular blender will work well too. Just blend in batches and be careful with the hot liquid.
- You can add sour cream or plain Greek yogurt at the end as a garnish or blend it into the entire batch.
This tomato basil soup tastes so much better than the can in your pantry, it’s ridiculous.
I even packed some extra vegetables in the soup for nutrients. Just don’t tell! It will be our little secret as you make and recreate this sweet summer taste all year long.
Serve alongside a salad or even grilled cheese.
You’ll Also Love These Other Crock Pot Soups
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Black Bean Soup
- Crock Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegetarian Crock Pot White Bean Soup
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Crock Pot Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens Soup
- Crock Pot Minestrone Soup
- Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup
Healthy Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- Crock pot
- 3 28 oz cans whole tomatoes, low sodium
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 32 oz 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 4 cloves
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves, additional for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, white if you have it
- Parmesan Cheese shredded, for garnish
- Put all ingredients in a large Crock Pot or slow cooker
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- When finely chopped veggies are very soft and cooked through the soup is done
- Finish soup with an immersion blender or put in small batches in the regular blender
- Garnish with additional basil and parmesan
- You can make the soup creamier by adding sour cream or plain Greek yogurt at the end as a garnish or blend in well with entire batch. This makes a big batch and freezes well.
- Allow the soup to cool before ladling it into freezer-safe containers or freezer bags, just make sure you don't add any dairy before freezing it. Soup can be frozen for 4-6 months, and then thawed overnight in the refrigerator.
- If you don't have an immersion blender a regular blender will work well too. Just blend in batches and be careful with the hot liquid.
Like it? Pin this to your favorite Pinterest Board to find later!