This Melon Salad is bright, light, simple, and refreshing. Cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon combine for a gorgeous summer fruit salad lightly tossed in a honey lime dressing and garnished with fresh mint. This classic summer salad will be on repeat at any summer picnic or potluck.
Melon Salad with Mint and Honey Lime Dressing
A good Melon Salad lets the best of summer shine. My version brings together the golden trifecta of summer fruit- canteloupe, honeydew, and watermelon- for a summer fruit salad that just pops off the plate. When fresh and in season, those melons don't need a lot of things added to them, but a very light honey lime dressing and fresh mint is precisely what you need to take this summer fruit salad from ordinary to extraordinary.
This salad is sure to be loved equally by both kids and adults and I promise it will disappear to any potluck you take it to. In fact, the twins ate this entire batch before I could even serve it to anyone else. They kept asking for more melon balls and who was I to say no!Honey Lime Melon Salad with Mint Click To Tweet
Why You'll Love this Summer Melon Salad...
- My Melon Salad is light and refreshing!
- One serving is less than 100 calories.
- It's perfect for a crowd. If you are looking for the perfect summer potluck dish, this is it!
- It's super special for summer. Sure, you can get these fruits year-round, but they just taste better this time of year.
- It elevates a normal fruit salad, making it a special dish for a party.
Health benefits of watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew
- Melons are packed with health benefits! I love that they are naturally sweet and conquer that sweet tooth without added sugars.
- They are hydrating. All melons, especially watermelons, have a high water concentration means they are hydrating.
- They are low in calories but high in nutrients.
- Cantaloupe is high in vitamin C and fiber.
- Honeydew is high in vitamin C and calcium.
- Watermelon is high in beta carotene and lycopene.
- The combination of all three melons makes this salad a health food powerhouse.
Here's what you'll need to make my melon salad. Keep scrolling for a full printable recipe with exact amounts.
- Watermelon: I use a small seedless watermelon for this recipe. Four cups of watermelon are about half of the watermelon. The seedless is best because you don't want to pick through the seeds in the salad.
- Cantaloupe: Pick a ripe cantaloupe and use the melon baller to get the fun balls. Four cups of canteloupe are about one small melon.
- Honeydew: Fresh honeydew in the summer is perfect for this recipe. You'll need about one small melon for four cups.
- Honey: Sweet summer fruit doesn't need a lot of added sweetener, but just a touch of honey adds some depth of flavor and elevates the salad.
- Lime: A fresh squeeze of lime brightens the salad and also elevates this salad from your standard fruit salad.
- Mint: Mint is the secret to really making this melon salad pop. Its bright and fragrant flavor pairs perfectly with the fruit.
How do you make melon balls?
To make the melon balls, you'll need a melon baller. It's a great kitchen tool to have around! Just push the melon baller into the fresh melon and twist until you get a circle. Sure, you could just cube the melon but I love the fun circles created by the melon baller.
Tips to Pick a Good Melon
- Look for a melon that is free of blemishes. A good melon is usually heavy for its size and has a low thudding noise when you tap it and it should NOT sound hallow.
- A cantaloupe is ripe when the netted exterior on the melon is beige and not green. If the space between the netting on the skin of the melon is still dark green, the melon is not very ripe. The stem end should give slightly into pressure.
- Honeydew melons should have a yellow tinge not green. The rind should be matte, textured, and even sticky.
- Watermelons usually have an underside spot where the watermelon rests on the ground. It should be yellow and not green.
- Melons can continue to ripen when you get them home. Keep them out of the fridge and on the counter to allow them to continue to ripen. Once cut though, you'll need to store it in the fridge.
Keep scrolling for the full printable Melon Salad recipe with exact instructions.
- Carefully use the melon baller to make the melon balls from the watermelon, canteloupe, and honeydew.
- In a large bowl, toss the melon together.
- Add the honey and lime juice and stir again.
- Add the mint saving some for garnish.
- Serve immediately or transfer to the fridge to chill before serving.
I love this Melon Salad as is, but here are some fun ways to mix it up.
- Make it Vegan: Use agave nectar instead of honey.
- Make it Cubed: If you don't have a melon baller, or don't want to mess with it you can just cube the melon with a sharp knife.
- Make it Cheesy: Add some feta cheese for a surprising savory pop.
- Make it Nutty: Add some crushed pistachios for an interesting change of flavors.
- Make it Berry: Add some strawberries for more depth of flavor. Peaches would also be fun!
- Make it Crunchy: Add some cucumber for another interesting combination.
- Make it Herby: If mint is not your thing, or you want to try a different flavor of fresh herbs, fresh basil leaves would also be delicious and unexpected in this.
Can you make this melon salad ahead of time?
Yes! Since there aren't any greens in this salad to wilt, this is a great salad to make ahead of time. Make a big batch for a party the morning or day ahead.
How do you store melon salad?
Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
This Honey Lime Melon Salad with Mint is Perfect for Summer!
This Honey Lime Melon Salad with mint is so perfect for summer. You really can't beat this gorgeous combination of textures and flavors. Sure, you could make a plain fruit salad BUT this dish isn't that much harder and gives you that feeling of being a bit more gourmet.
I think everyone in your next potluck will be going back for seconds.
Here are some ideas for rounding out your meal.
Serve it With:
- Southwest Black Bean Burger
- Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Grilled Vegetable and Herbed Goat Cheese Sandwich
- Honey Lime Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Cheesy Potatoes in Foil
- Southwest Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
Honey Lime Melon Salad with Mint Click To Tweet
More Summer Melon & Fruit Recipes to Try:
- Honey Lime Rainbow Fruit Salad
- Watermelon Blueberry and Feta Salad
- Watermelon Strawberry and Cucumber Salad
- Blueberry and Pineapple Salsa
- Pineapple and Avocado Cucumber Salad
- Rainbow Fruit Skewers and Honey Lime Greek Yogurt Dip
If you make this Melon Salad recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Leave a comment and a star rating ★ below. Make sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!
Melon Salad with Mint
- 4 cups watermelon, balled
- 4 cups canteulope , balled
- 4 cups honeydew, balled
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- Use a melon baller to cut the fruit into balls.
- Toss the watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew together.
- Toss with the honey and lime. Add the mint and toss again.
- Serve immediately or transfer to the fridge to chill before serving.
Pin for Later:
This looks like such a great salad!
This salad looks so refreshing and perfect for a hot summer day
This simple salad is so sweet and the perfect side dish for summer meals. The mint adds such a refreshing flavor to it.
This is such a fresh and delicious salad! Perfect for summer. Plus a great way for us to use our fresh mint!
Stephanie Honikel says
Oh my, this is perfection! The combination or mint and melon is genius.
I love finding refreshing, healthy, and delicious salad recipes such as this one for hot summer days, thanks!
Amber Myers says
This looks like an amazing salad. I just love melon. Perfect for summer!