This Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread recipe is the best! Use frozen or fresh blueberries in this super moist and just sweet enough bread. My Healthy Banana Bread features white whole wheat flour and honey instead of sugar for an irresistible loaf.
Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread
Looking for the best Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread? This is it! I made this when I bought WAY too many blueberries at the store. The blueberries were on sale and I could not help myself. I love this time of year when you can get fresh, gorgeous berries at such great prices. I bought WAY too many and got home realizing I'd need to add them to some recipes to get through them all. I seriously have trouble containing myself around produce sales! That same week I just so happened to have some bananas that were on their last life... so it's probably no big surprise what I decided to make!
Now I'm the first to admit, I'm more of a COOK than a BAKER. I find measuring flour kind of tedious and get annoyed when it gets all over my kitchen, but sometimes the effort is totally worth it. This bread is worth the effort though. This banana bread recipe came out perfect on the first try and is SO good. I really think you are going to love this Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread as much as I do!
Here's why you'll love this Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread recipe...
Healthy Blueberry Banana bread is such an easy thing to make. It's a pretty forging recipe for anyone who wants to try out baking. Even if you aren't much of a baker, it's a great place to start.
This Blueberry Banana Bread recipe is simply perfect because it's made with white wheat flour and honey instead of refined sugar. It's moist and DELICIOUS!
The swaps leave the bread a bit better for you and just sweet enough. The honey brings a subtle sweetness that's easy to love.
The bread is also made sweet from the bananas! The trick is to use SUPER ripe bananas. You want them spotted and even starting to turn black.
Even with the honey and bananas... this isn't the sugary sweet bread you might pick up from your local bakery... in fact, I think it's better.
- White Wheat Flour: I used white wheat flour for this recipe because it is a nice compromise between using hearty and healthier whole wheat flour and soft and tender white flour. The White Wheat Flour remains fluffier like white flour but retains many of the nutrients of wheat flour.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: This combination of baking essentials allows the bread to rise properly.
- Cinnamon: A healthy dose of cinnamon adds lots of flavor to the Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread.
- Banana: The best bananas to use for this recipe are ones that have lots of brown spots on them and are softer. The riper the banana, the sweeter your bread will be. To prepare the banana mash it with a fork until it is smooth.
- Eggs: 2 large eggs beaten will bind everything together.
- Honey: Instead of white sugar, I made my banana bread with honey. The flavor is so tasty.
- Butter: There are substitutes for using butter in the bread, but I think this small amount brings a lot of flavor to the loaf while still keeping it reasonably healthy. I melt my butter in the microwave and let it cool just a touch before adding it to my wet ingredients.
- Vanilla: Vanilla adds a lot of flavor to the bread. Use a pure vanilla extract for the best results.
What You'll Need:
How to make Blueberry Banana Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray your loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon- in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients - mashed banana, eggs, honey, melted butter, and vanilla- in a second bowl.
- Stir both together.
- Pour the dough into your loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then serve.
Variations & FAQ
I love this Blueberry Banana Bread as written, but here are some fun variations.
- Mix up your fruit by adding other berries like strawberry or raspberry.
- Make it vegan by using agave nectar instead of honey and coconut oil instead of butter.
- Add your favorite nuts.
- Add chocolate chip.
Can I use frozen blueberries?
I love using those fresh berries in summer but you can get a taste of the season all year long by using frozen blueberries.
Can bananas be too ripe for banana bread?
Not really. If the bananas are actually rotting with mold and fruit flies they are too ripe, but generally, they are ok! The riper they are the sweeter the bread will be. If you notice rot of mold though... it's a no.
How do I store my Blueberry Banana Bread?
Store your Blueberry Banana Bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze this?
Yes! You can freeze the entire loaf or individual slices. It will store for up to 3 months frozen.
This Blueberry Banana Bread is the Best!
This Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread is bursting with flavor and is perfect for summer! The fresh blueberries bake into the bread and combine perfectly with the honey. This is simply irresistible and will disappear in no time flat.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Love healthy baking? Try these...
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Muffins
- Healthy Honey Cinnamon Banana Bread Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Bars
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies
Healthy Blueberry Banana Bread recipe
- Mixing Bowls
- Loaf Pan
- 1 ½ cups white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fork mashed banana, about 3 bananas
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In one bowl mix together the dry ingredients... flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a second bowl mix together the wet ingredients... melted butter (not hot,) mashed banana, honey, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Pour in a loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Save for later...