My Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn recipe is a crowd-pleasing and completely addictive holiday snack that's only 4 Ingredients! It's perfect for watching your favorite Christmas movie or for sharing as an edible gift. This healthy snack is the perfect combination of salty, sweet, and minty.
The Hubs and I have this ongoing
argument discussion about the type of popcorn we keep in the house. I prefer healthier, low salt, and low butter kinds. I could even eat just plain air-popped and be fine! He, of course, likes the movie-theater butter, greasy and salted kind. I do the grocery shopping around here, so I buy the kind I like and that is better for us and he complains reminds me that it's not his choice.
He rarely goes to the store, but when he does he somehow always comes home with a box of what he calls "the good stuff." It's become a family joke at this point.
SO when I made a holiday recipe that used my "healthy" popcorn I was a little concerned he would not like it. I mean there is nothing really bad for you in my Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn recipe... but I decided to give it a try anyway.
I mean come on... he had to like it right????
Turns out my Peppermint Popcorn was a HIT and a recipe we'll make again and again.
Why You'll Love the Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn...
This Peppermint Popcorn recipe is totally LOVEABLE because it's crazy simple to make and has just the right amount of salt and sweetness. The lovely dark chocolate gives you that peppermint mocha vibe... but in a healthier package.
If you are one who loves chocolate with popcorn this yummy healthy holiday dessert is for you.
How to Make Peppermint Popcorn...
The Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn recipe is really simple. You start with your favorite healthy popcorn. You could even air pop some, but I like the one with light salt for this. It gives you that sweet and salty combination. Feel free to make your popcorn on the stovetop or microwave... whatever fits your cooking style and taste.
After popping the corn, put the popcorn on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
Next, you melt some dark chocolate chips in the microwave. You could do white chocolate or milk chocolate too but I love the taste and health benefits of dark chocolate. Microwave your chocolate in 30-second increments until it is liquid enough to drizzle.
Once it's melted you get to drizzle the chocolate. Before the chocolate firms, sprinkle some festive sprinkles and crushed peppermint on top.
Walk away and let the chocolate firm back up. Once it's firm break the popcorn back up into small bites. It's kind of like a Peppermint Bark Popcorn!
You can serve it in a bowl like this for movie night OR put it in pretty containers for a great edible Christmas gift.
Tips and Variations for Making the Peppermint Popcorn
- You can make the popcorn on the stovetop or microwave.
- Use either your favorite candy canes or peppermint candies to get the crushed peppermint. You'll want to break both up into small enough pieces to enjoy in one bite.
- You can skip the sprinkles, but I love how festive they make the popcorn. This is my favorite set of Christmas Sprinkles to keep around the house. <---Amazon Affiliate Link
- Make sure to crush your peppermint into small enough pieces where you can easily eat it. Too big of chunks will be hard to swallow.
- I like making mine with dark chocolate but you could easily use white or milk. White Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn is also popular and really tasty!
- Other fun toppings would be holiday M&M's, more green sprinkles to make it Grinch Popcorn, or even crushed Oreos!
How to Store Peppermint Popcorn?
Store my Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn in an airtight container on the counter or at room temperature. If you want to make the popcorn into an edible gift either use a treat bag or a metal treat can. If you want to make the popcorn with the red striped cups order these!
How long does the popcorn last?
The popcorn will be good for up to a week but is best eaten within a few days.
Can You Freeze Peppermint Popcorn?
I would not recommend freezing my Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn. The texture of the popcorn changes when you freeze it. It's too good to waste anyway!
The BEST Christmas Popcorn!
This Peppermint Popcorn really is the BEST Christmas Popcorn. Remember how I shared that the Hubs and I have drastically different popcorn tastes?
WELL... when I made this recipe we both loved it and nearly fought over those chocolaty sweet and salty bites. I turned around and he had swiped the entire bag for himself! 🙂
I'll say this festive, healthy treat was a big success. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Other Healthy Peppermint Recipes to Love:
- Healthy Chocolate Peppermint Smoothie
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Nice Cream
- Peppermint Fudge No Bake Energy Bites
- Nutella and Peppermint Freezer Fudge
- Skinny Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
Other Healthy Popcorn Recipes to Love:
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn
- 10 cups popped popcorn, about 1 microwave bag
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint pieces
- 2 teaspoons Christmas sprinkles
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil. Spread popcorn in a single layer.
- Put the chocolate chips in a microwave safe container and microwave for 30 seconds. Pull out and stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Pull out and stir again. The chocolate should be melted at this point. If it's not, microwave for another 10 seconds. Repeat until it's soft and drizzly.
- Using a large spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn using fast motions creating thin lines of chocolate.
- While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the peppermint and sprinkles over the top.
- Allow chocolate to re-harden before moving. You can pop the trays in the freezer to speed up the process.
Pin for later!