This 30 Minute Tomato Quinoa Soup recipe is an irresistible and cozy vegetarian or vegan meal!
With cooler weather on the horizon, we’re approaching full-on soup season in my house. I’m a big fan of making easy and delicious homemade soup this time of year… it’s generally healthy, satisfying and way better than something from a can or box. I love soup for a weekday meal because it makes leftovers that reheat well, is packed with healthy clean food and is usually really easy to make. This 30 Minute Tomato Quinoa Soup is no exception.
Sure, you can bust out a can of soup… but would it look and taste like this? Not to mention you can control the ingredients that way and make sure you are getting more nutrients in your food!Perfectly cozy for fall... 30 Minute Tomato Quinoa Soup from Running in a Skirt #soup #vegan #healthyliving #vegetarianClick To Tweet
Why you’ll love my Tomato Quinoa Soup recipe…
Tomato soup alone is pretty fabulous in my opinion. But the quinoa in this is an easy addition that really makes this soup alone a balanced meal. You get added protein and nutrients plus it makes it more filling. I cook and store the quinoa separately from the soup so you can put a nice hearty dollop in the middle. I find it much more satisfying this way.
Even with this being homemade there are only ten ingredients in this Tomato Quinoa Soup, so it can be on your table in a snap. If you are trying to get more veggies in you could add some hidden carrots even stir in some fresh kale at the end, but I love the traditional flavors here.
The Tomato Quinoa Soup simmers for about 15 minutes, but if you have more time, let it simmer on the stove for even more flavor. To get the smooth tomato flavor use an immersion blender. I actually use an immersion blender all the time to make quick soups! I have this one that is less than twenty bucks.
Using this kitchen tool is so much easier than transferring the hot soup into a blender. You can drop this tool right into the soup! It’s one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.
I topped the Tomato Quinoa Soup with pepitas or pumpkin seeds in the photo, which is great if you are vegan. If you aren’t a nice sprinkle of parmesan cheese would also taste pretty darn fabulous!
I hope you enjoy this easy Tomato Quinoa Soup this fall and for years to come! It’s one recipe that is a regular rotation at my house.
Like this Tomato Quinoa Soup? Pin for later…
Also, try these cozy soups….
- Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup <— featured on Huffington Post!
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Baked Potato Soup
- 30 Minute Tortellini Kale Soup
Perfectly cozy for fall... 30 Minute Tomato Quinoa Soup from Running in a Skirt #soup #vegan #healthyliving #vegetarianClick To Tweet
- 2 cups cooked quinoa cooked according to package instructions, add a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegan butter alternative
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste) divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste) divided
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Heat butter in oil over medium heat until butter melts.
- Add the shallots to the pan and saute 2-3 minutes, until the shallot is soft. Add a pinch of the salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and stir until just fragrant. About 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and Italian seasoning to the pan. Turn heat to high and allow to almost boil.
- Return heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. You can also work in batches using a regular blender.
Serve with a spoonful of quinoa in the soup and a pumpkin seed garnish! If you are not vegan you can also add some parmesan cheese.
What is your favorite type of soup?
What is your favorite kitchen gadget?