This 30 Minute Tomato Quinoa Soup recipe is an irresistible and cozy vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free meal!
Tomato Quinoa Soup
You are going to love this cozy Tomato Quinoa Soup.
With cooler weather on the horizon, we're approaching full-on soup season in my house. I'm a big fan of making easy and delicious homemade soup this time of year... it's generally healthy, satisfying, and way better than something from a can or box. I love soup for a weekday meal because it makes leftovers that reheat well, is packed with healthy clean food, and is usually really easy to make. This 30 Minute Tomato Quinoa Soup is no exception.
Sure, you can bust out a can of soup... but would it look and taste like this? Not to mention you can control the ingredients that way and make sure you are getting more nutrients in your food!
Why you'll love my Tomato Quinoa Soup recipe...
Tomato soup alone is pretty fabulous in my opinion. But the quinoa in this is an easy addition that really makes this soup alone a balanced meal... in fact, quinoa soup is pretty genius! You get added protein and nutrients plus it makes it more filling. I cook and store the quinoa separately from the soup so you can put a nice hearty dollop in the middle. I find it much more satisfying this way.
Even with this being homemade there are only ten ingredients in this Tomato Quinoa Soup, so it can be on your table in a snap. If you are trying to get more veggies in you could add some hidden carrots even stir in some fresh kale at the end, but I love the traditional flavors here.
- Butter or Vegan Butter: You can use regular butter or make this vegan or dairy-free by using vegan butter.
In a large stockpot or dutch oven, heat butter in oil over medium heat until butter melts.
Add the shallots to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes, until the shallot is soft. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the garlic and stir until just fragrant. About 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add the tomatoes, broth, and Italian seasoning to the pan. Turn heat to high and allow to almost boil.
Return heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. You can also work in batches using a regular blender.
Spoon into bowls and serve with a spoonful of quinoa in the soup and a pumpkin seed garnish. If you are not vegan you can also add some feta or goat cheese.
Tips to Make the Tomato Quinoa Soup:
- The Tomato Quinoa Soup simmers for about 15 minutes, but if you have more time, let it simmer on the stove for even more flavor.
- To get the smooth tomato flavor use an immersion blender. I actually use an immersion blender all the time to make quick soups! I have this one that is less than twenty bucks.
- Using this kitchen tool is so much easier than transferring the hot soup into a blender. You can drop this tool right into the soup! It's one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.
- I topped the Tomato Quinoa Soup with pepitas or pumpkin seeds in the photo, which is great if you are vegan. If you aren't a nice sprinkle of parmesan cheese, goat cheese or feta cheese would also taste pretty darn fabulous! You could also use nutritional yeast to keep it vegan but add that flavor.
- To make it spicy add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
This Tomato Quinoa Soup is the Perfect Meal!
I hope you enjoy this easy Tomato Quinoa Soup this fall and for years to come! It's one recipe that is a regular rotation at my house because of how delicious it is and how easy it is to make.
How do I store leftovers?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes! As with a lot of soups, it actually reheats very well! This Tomato Quinoa Soup is great for a make ahead meal or meal prep.
Can I freeze this quinoa soup?
YES! Freeze this soup in an airtight freezer container for up to three months.
Serve it With:
Also, try these cozy soups...
- Crock Pot Tomato Basil Soup <--- featured on Huffington Post!
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Baked Potato Soup
- 30 Minute Tortellini Kale Soup
- 10 Cozy Vegetarian Crock Pot Soups
30 Minute Tomato Quinoa Soup
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooked according to package instructions, add a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, or vegan butter alternative
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste), divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper (or to taste), divided
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Heat butter in oil over medium heat until butter melts.
- Add the shallots to the pan and saute 2-3 minutes, until the shallot is soft. Add a pinch of the salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and stir until just fragrant. About 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, broth and Italian seasoning to the pan. Turn heat to high and allow to almost boil.
- Return heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. You can also work in batches using a regular blender.
- Serve with a spoonful of quinoa in the soup and a pumpkin seed garnish! If you are not vegan you can also add some parmesan cheese.
Like this Tomato Quinoa Soup? Pin for later...