Say YES to tofu with my Crispy Asian Baked Tofu recipe!
To be completely honest with you, I used to not cook a lot of tofu at home. The Hubs doesn’t mind eating meat-free meals, but I have yet to convince him that tofu is a good idea so I will often add beans, grains, and dairy to my recipes instead of meat substitutes.
When I was pregnant with the twins though it quickly became even more important that I increased and tracked the amount of protein I ate, which meant I added all sorts of veggie based protein to my regular diet including tofu. After some experimenting, I came up with a delicious and super EASY way to make, eat and enjoy tofu. My Crispy Asian Baked Tofu recipe is now my favorite way to make tofu at home.
Why you’ll love my Crispy Asian Baked Tofu recipe…
I’m so glad the protein challenge inspired me to expand my cooking horizons and led to this delightful little recipe.
Tofu is ridiculously easy to make at home, is an inexpensive protein and when made correctly can taste really good. The secret, in my opinion, is to pack it with flavor AND make it crispy. My favorite way to make it crispy is in the oven!
You might have noticed that I love sheet pan meals and roasting things in the oven because it’s basically hands-off cooking time. When you are busy being able to pop something in the oven is gold. Sure, you can make these on the stove top but then you have to fuss over them… and who has time for that? When I was pregnant standing for long periods of time was hard and now with the twins, I basically have a negative time in a day.
So this Crispy Asian Baked Tofu recipe is just what we all need. Easy, inexpensive AND super tasty.
Ingredients in this Crispy Asian Baked Tofu recipe
The secret to these tasty bites of tofu goodness is in the marinade. You can easily find these ingredients in most grocery stores or I added some links to Amazon if you shop that way.
- Super Firm Tofu
- Soy Sauce
- Fresh Ginger <— to save time used the minced type in a tube!
- Sesame Oil
- Honey <— If vegan, use agave nectar.
- Garlic Powder
- Red Chili Paste <— Add more for extra heat!
Those are affiliate links but the cost to you is the same!
How to Make this Crispy Asian Baked Tofu recipe
- Press the water out of the tofu.
- Cube the tofu.
- Marinade the tofu.
- Bake it in the oven!
- Serve with your favorite rice or Asian veggies.
Even the Hubs said this one was pretty good… for tofu! I hope you will give it a try. As always, I’d love to hear what you think in the comments.
More Healthy & Vegetarian Asian Recipes…
- Protein Packed Asian Edamame Quinoa Salad
- Better than Takeout Healthy Vegetarian Lo Mein
- Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Kale Curry
Like my Crispy Asian Baked Tofu recipe? I’d love it if you could pin this to your favorite Pinterest board! Thank you so much for the support.
Oven Baked Crispy Asian Baked Tofu recipe
- 1 package super firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili paste
- Wrap the tofu in paper towels and place a heavy pan on top of it. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Repeat several times until you get the moisture out of the tofu. Cut into cubes.
- Mix together everything else and put it in a large zipper bag. Put the tofu in the marinade and allow to sit for a minimum of 2 hours but up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a foiled-lined baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread the tofu bites out so they don't touch. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.
Have you tried to make tofu at home?