Fresh, plump summer blueberries shine in my Healthy Blueberry Crisp with chia seeds!
I spent a few days in Charlotte last month and got to catch up with my college roommate Lori. She excels at figuring out how to make super healthy food that still tastes really good. Remember the Black Bean Brownie recipe with homemade fudge icing she gave me?
She made me a healthy blueberry crisp that was totally drool worthy. And then she told me what was in it.. chia seeds!
The chia seeds act as a perfect thickener, while adding nutrients.
When the crisp is baked, you hardly notice them.
The topping is whole wheat flour, oats, coconut sugar and either real butter or coconut oil
Unfortunately, she doesn’t cook with measurements so I had to come home and figure out the exact details for you guys.
But I think I nailed it!
This crisp is super easy to make, totally delish and a new family favorite!
- For the berry mixture:
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- For topping:
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter or coconut oil room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 9 casserole dish.
- Mix fruit mixture.
- Mix the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Break the butter or coconut oil into chunks and blend into the dry mixture well using fork, pastry cutter or clean hands. You want the butter or coconut oil to be in small well incorporated pieces.
- Put the berry mixture into the greased pan and top with an even layer of the topping.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until the topping is brown.
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow I’m spilling family weight loss secrets. How my Dad lost 100 pounds! I hope to see you then.
What is your favorite dessert to health-ify?
How is your week going?