Enjoy beautiful fall apples with this quick and healthy apple crisp!
Hello dear readers!
Even though fall doesn't officially begin until tomorrow, the mountains have been in full blown apple season since Labor Day. The county just south of where I live is world renown for apple farming and this entire month it's all apple, all the time.
To be honest, I never fully appreciate the beauty of the apple until I moved to the mountains. Sure, I ate them, but it would probably never be my first choice.
That was until I ate them straight off the tree and discovered all the amazing varieties available.
You just can't beat that fresh taste.
Apples are so plentiful this time of year that It's a shame not to cook with them.
This year I'm making this delicious Healthy Apple Crisp.
Now it still has a little butter and sugar, but overall this is a much healthier choice than a big slice of apple pie. Not that I'd fault you for eating that either 🙂
Life is about moderation.
Healthy subs in his recipe include whole wheat flour, coconut sugar and coconut oil. Although I made mine with butter.
The entire house will fill with smells of fall and you can indulge in an apple treat without feeling quite as guilty!
Healthy Apple Crisp
For the apple mixture
- 5 cups tart apples , sliced
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
For the topping
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x9 baking pan.
- Mix the apple filling together in a large bowl.
- Mix the topping together in a separate small bowl. Use fork or knives to cut butter until the entire mixture turns crumbly and butter is well incorporated.
- Put the apples in the pan and top with the topping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crumble is golden.
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow I'm sharing a great new workout.
I’m sharing this recipe roundup for Foodie Friday, Meatless Monday with Tina and Deborah, Meatless Monday with Annmarie and the Weekend Potluck. Also Full Plate Thursday with Miz Helen, FoodFriDIY and What’s Cookin’ Wednesday. Thanks so much ladies for the link up parties!
What's your favorite apple?
Mine is a tie between HoneyCrisp and Ambrosia!