My mom died a year ago Sunday. I don’t want to write a long sad post about how much I miss her and how hard this last year has been. Anyone who has lost someone already knows the pain.
Instead of harping on the sadness, I want to honor her memory and share some life lessons she taught me through the years. Some of them are pretty lighthearted, others are issues that were truly close to her heart. Some of these lessons I am still trying to master.
My mom was one of those people with infinite patience and kindness for everyone. She led her life with such dignity and kindness and I don’t ever want to forgot everything she taught me. I hope writing things like this down can bring comfort in the years to come.
50 Life Lessons from My Mom
1. Be kind to mean people.
2. Two wrongs don’t make a right.
3. When in doubt, buy the new shoes.
4. Don’t cut down the tress, unless you absolutely have to.
5. Learn as much technology as you can at a young age.
6. Respect teachers and education.
7. Grammar and spelling never go out of style.
8. Splitting a Little Debbie package with an estranged friend can bring you back together.
9. Look extensively for college scholarship options and apply to all that you qualify for. You will be surprised at how many options are out there.
10. Always wear a new pair of shoes around the house before you wear them outside.
11. Standing by your morals and principles is never a bad decision.
12. Keep an emergency 20 dollars in your wallet.
13. Make time for your family.
14. It’s always better to overdress than underdress.
15. Put the receipt in your wallet, not in the bag.
16. Education is critical to your success.
17. The best books are inches thick.
18. Always have someone proofread your work before you “turn” it in.
19. Walking the mall is exercise.
20. Don’t skip meals.
21. Changing a baby boy requires two diapers.
22. Watch the morning news. (Seriously, she always did!)
23. Children are our future.
24. Match your shoes, belt and purse.
25. Be kind to your hair.
26. Don’t be afraid of hard work.
27. Take a second job if you have too.
28. Be humble about your accomplishments.
29. Don’t be in a hurry to grow up.
30. Lock your car doors as soon as you get in the car.
31. Find your car keys before you walk to your car.
32. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
33. Trust your gut instincts.
34. Keep a sweater in the car, even in the summer.
35. If you see something you really like in a store, go back in two weeks and it most likely will be on sale.
36. Girls can do math.
37. Call your Mom often.
38. Tell your loved ones how much they mean to you often.
39. Surround yourself with positive people.
40. Find a smart husband.
41. Good girlfriends are irreplaceable.
42. Elvis is STILL The King.
43. It's ok to not be good at everything. Know your strengths and focus on that.
44. Don’t cry over spilled milk. (Don’t sweat the small stuff)
45. Save money.
46. It’s ok to cut corners in the kitchen.
47. Don’t allow others to mistreat you.
48. Always be honest and truthful.
49. Think before you talk.
50. Trust God’s plan and look to him for guidance in prayer.