Looking for a fun & pretty holiday appetizer? Try my Healthier Pimento Cheese Bites!
First off I want to wish a happy 6th anniversary to the Hubs!
Back in September I went to High Tea at the Biltmore with my friend Marilyn for our birthdays. The first course is always a plate of savory sandwiches and bites. They always have the most interested foods. This time we got these cute and super tasty pimento cheese bites. They were kind of like individual cheese balls perfect for a small taste.
Both of us loved them and thought it would be a really fun recipe for the blog so I decided to recreate them... in my own healthy way of course! Luckily they turned out great and my Healthier Pimento Cheese Bites are a winner.
They bites are made out of a less creamy version of my Lightened Up Southern Pimento Cheese... which uses greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
To make these festive for the holidays I added a green pistachio on top! They give the bite just the crunch they need and perfectly compliment the red pimentos.
These are a little messy to make because you have to hand roll them but the presentation for a party could not be easier. If they need to firm up more pop them in the freezer or fridge for a few minutes.
Serve them as shown or with a festive toothpick.
These would be great to take to a potluck or have in the fridge when friends stop by during the holiday season. They look pretty and taste great... plus who doesn't love some good ole' pimento cheese.
I hope you will get a chance to try these Healthier Pimento Cheese Bites! They are perfect for the season and beyond. As always I'd love to hear what you think in the comments.
Healthier Pimento Cheese Bites with Pistachios
- 2 cups finely shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup 0% greek yogurt
- 4 ounce jar chopped pimentos, drained well
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup pistachios, shelled
- Mix the cheddar cheese, greek yogurt, pimentos, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. Start with less greek yogurt and add more because each brand has a slightly different consistency. You want the mixture to be wet, but not as creamy as traditional pimento cheese.
- Form bite sized balls out of the pimento cheese. If you need them to firm up a bit, pop them in the freezer to set.
- Top with the pistachios!
Like my Healthier Pimento Cheese Bites? I’d love it if you could pin this to your favorite Pinterest board! Thank you so much for the support.
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow I’m sharing some love to a veggie you might not be seeing enough of.
What's your favorite easy holiday appetizer?