Vegetarian Crustless Kale Quiche is healthy twist on this classic dish! Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Quiche may be kind of old fashioned, but I’m a fan. It is so versatile and makes a great breakfast, lunch or dinner. Jeesh, I’d even eat it as a snack if you gave me the option.
Ordering it out often means lots of heavy cream, high calorie cheese and a thick buttery crust. Don’t get my wrong… I love it too. But it’s not the kind of thing I could eat on a regular basis. It’s more of a special occasion food.
This Vegetarian Crustless Kale Quiche takes those stereotypes away. This is a perfect healthy, lowcarb, veggie packed meal that you can add to your families meal rotation today.
You could easily do a more classic preparation with spinach, but I’m all about some kale lately, so I added it instead. I love the texture of it in the crustless vegetarian quiche.
Serve it with fruit in the morning or a side salad for lunch for a light dinner. I added a sprouted grain roll when I make this for dinner. But you can skip it if you are trying to eat fewer carbs.
It’s even pretty enough to serve at a brunch or shower! Everyone will rave over this crustless kale quiche.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small sweet onion or 1/4 large
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups kale
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper divided
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 ounces reduced fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees and spray a pie pan with cooking spray. Place the pan on a cookie sheet.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute the onions in the olive oil for 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Season with a pinch of the spices and salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Season with another pinch of the spices, salt and pepper.
- Add the kale and saute approximately 2 minutes, just until wilted and tender. Add the rest of the spices and a small pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and coat with the flour.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, half and half and the remainder of the salt and pepper. You should have about half left.
- Put half the veggie mixture in the pie pan and top with half the feta cheese. Pour half the egg mixture on top. Repeat.
- Finish by sprinkling the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cook 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Serve for any meal! For lunch or dinner add a side salad and sprouted grain roll.
Like it? Help me out by pinning it on Pinterest! I would love if you could pin this to your breakfast, lunch or recipe board! Thank you.
Thanks for stopping by today! Come back tomorrow for a March’s Things I’m Loving Lately.
Ever had kale in quiche?
Quiche for breakfast? lunch? or dinner?